30-30 Hornady LEVERevolution @ Dick's

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3AXBAT
Levergunner

30-30 Hornady LEVERevolution @ Dick's

Post by 3AXBAT »

They've got LEVERevolution on sale right now 17.99, regularly 22.99, here in San Antonio, anyway.
"Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier, or not having been at sea." -Samuel Johnson
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 30-30 Hornady LEVERevolution @ Dick's

Post by Streetstar »

Cool -- i have a rifle that shoots it well :D I may pick up a couple of boxes if the Omaha, NE location has the same sale (i love my 30-30's , but sadly , 3 or 4 boxes is a years supply for me no more than i shoot them)
----- Doug
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

I see .30-30 shells on sale from time to time for around ten bucks per box.
Are the Hornady loads twice as effective?
We're talking .30-30 velocities and distance here.

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Gary
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gary »

pharmseller wrote:I see .30-30 shells on sale from time to time for around ten bucks per box.

P
The Hornady LeverEvolution 160 gr ballistics makes the 30-30 a 300 yard deer getter. It's very accurate, too!
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Gary wrote:
pharmseller wrote:I see .30-30 shells on sale from time to time for around ten bucks per box.

P
The Hornady LeverEvolution 160 gr ballistics makes the 30-30 a 300 yard deer getter. It's very accurate, too!
So we're talking scoped Marlins, I suppose?
I'd have a hard time hitting a circus tent at 300 yards with my model 94, much less a deer's vitals.

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

pharmseller wrote:
Gary wrote:

P
So we're talking scoped Marlins, I suppose?
I'd have a hard time hitting a circus tent at 300 yards with my model 94, much less a deer's vitals.

P

I have a dedicated Model 94 for shooting the FTX loads --- it prints the FTX load several inches higher than $14.00 soft points , but it groups them reasonably well. The rifle is still iron sights so i haven't been able to see the long range potential of the bullet, but open sights, it keeps a group close to 3" at 100 yards (stock iron sights, not a peep) ---- i pick up a few boxes here and there, but really, for me - 2 boxes of .30-.30 is a year's supply. A box could cost 50 bucks and it still would not be too out of reach considering my low volume. I like the way it shoots, but again , i keep my "FTX rifle" segregated from the others that i run cheaper ammo in.

Heck i bought 2 boxes of 45-70 FTX a couple of years ago, and just like the 30-30, my Guide Gun is sighted in with those loads --- 2 years later i still have half a box left. 1.5 boxes has accounted for sight-in shots, a couple of goofing around shots, a couple of "get aquainted with 45-70 recoil again" shots, plus 6 whitetail. Pretty good economy for 50 or 60 bucks (rough price for 2 boxes of the stuff off the shelf at Bass Pro) I have shot the 45-70 at 200 yards as it has a 3-9 carrying handle . I like the results, --- but not everyone does and some rifles seem to shoot the stuff better than others, so a little experimentation was in order for me
----- Doug