Making reloading more fun.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Making reloading more fun.

Post by getitdone1 »

I used to enjoy reloading my own ammo. After many years I got bored with it but am now enjoying it more than I did.

The thing I like least about reloading is lubricating the cases and then having to remove the lubricant. Tungsten Carbide dies came along and boy that helped a bunch--but of course only for the straight walled pistol cases. For bolt guns the neck sizer sure saves time and is supposed to give you more accuracy although I've never put this to the test. I prefer the Lee case lubricant in that it cannot contaminate primers or powder and it's non-greasy. I much prefer my electronic/digital readout powder scale over the old style. Saves time.

I've never tried it but have some of you been able to neck size only for your lever-actions?

Is there a powder measure that's especially and consistently accurate? May be eliminating the weighing of each charge in the near future.

What are some of the things you've found that makes reloading less of a chore and more fun?

Don
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Making reloading more fun.

Post by rjohns94 »

I have been moving away from traditional reloading to reloading as needed. My .54 flintlock gets reloaded every time I fire it, with the same care of crafting the round as when I use to load cased bullets. My .50 cal sharps MR is the same way, rolling a paper cartridge and getting the bullet made. My joy is also in casting the round balls for the .54 or bullets for the .50 :wink: However, I found the keeping it simple for cased bullets has rekindled my enjoyment. I use a hand press and load for the 45-70 mostly, but also some 44 mag and .45 acp. My set up is easy to put up, easy to use, takes little time as I load in stages, and can produce excellent results. When I had a progressive loader for .357, I found reloading to be a bit boring. Maybe I'm just wierd but I like the old ways alot better than many of the newer ways.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

1. The Lee Turret (4 station) press allows me to keep dies set and change the whole bunch easily.

2. The small expense of a separate set of dies for a different load (bullet seating) or for 'special' vs. 'magnum' cases, saves time re-setting dies for a different loading all the time.

3. Settling on relatively few loads for most guns generally works well; I may load some 'really light' or 'really heavy' bullets now and again, but I tend to find a bullet and velocity that works and stick with it. Generally I also do that across the board for any guns in that chambering. I know it's boring, but I don't have to readjust everything from dies to sights all the time.

4. The Lee 'Hand Press' and a universal de-capping die allows me to de-prime while watching television, and inspect the cases then as well. That is the one step of reloading I think a person can safely do something else (like watch a movie) while doing.

5. The Lee 'Pro Auto Disk' is a really good measure, reproducible, and with the 'extra disk kit' you can fine-tune loads easily. It is a whole different beast than their 'regular' model 'Auto Disk'.

6. If you use the 'Hand Press' to deprime, drill a hole in the side so the primers dump out as you go, instead of having to shake them out through the hole in the shell-holder. I later enlarged this hole more, but it works well. Image

This thread had lots of good ideas from several forum members:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Reloading is fun for me primarily because I have everything set up so that it's not a chore. The pieces you decide upon for your setup can make even the undesirable tasks easy and enjoyable if you choose wisely.

A casefeeder on my auto indexing 650 means makes the process a breeze. All I do is dump the cleaned pistol cases into the hopper, powder into the powder measure, and primers into the the primer feeder. Then I start cranking the handle, drop on a bullet, and out pops finished pistol ammo.

I like to stick to ball type powders because they meter so well through Dillon's powder measures that they eliminate the need to check powder charges periodically.

While necked rifle reloading is more cumbersome, trimming rifle cases is a non issue with my Dillon trimmer on my case prep toolhead so they get trimmed, if needed, automatically. I never have to touch the cases during the trimming portion so it adds zero time and effort to the case prep cycle. Also, removing primer crimps is easy with my Dillon swager.

Cleaning brass isn't a chore as I have a tumbler and use spray on lube. I dump the brass from the range in my tumbler filled with Lizard Litter from PetsMart ($18 for a 25lb bag of walnut media), add a cap full of liquid car wax, and let them tumble for 1 hour and they're ready to go. For my rifle brass, a quick 10 minute tumble after resizing and they are ready for reloading.

I've got a clean, organized reloading bench that allows me to relax while reloading. It helps ensure that reloading isn't a task that needs doing but rather a hobby that I enjoy doing.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

There’s two things that have really increased my hand loading enjoyment... Two Lyman Products as luck would have it... One old time & One modern...The old time one, and by far the most fun, is using the Lyman 310 tool to deprime with... The whole process is to me very efficient and can probably be done without even moving your elbows from the table or bench...There’s a minimum of monkey motion involved...Insert a case, close the handles and give a squeeze.. open it up and drop the case in a pile or in a tray straight out of the tool...you can even get the spent primers to drop where you want...Like on a strategically placed paper towel.
........The modern is the Lyman 1200 DPS electronic powder dispenser...a system that has no trouble with extruded powders whatsoever...http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=279731 RCBS has them too...The beauty is that it’s working for you while you’re engaged in some other part of your loading process...Think of it...It can have a weighed charge (very nice when working at or near max) ready and waiting to be dumped in the time it takes to pick up an unprimed case, prime it, set it in your loading block. Or ready if you size/deprime and prime in your press...Or if used in conjunction with the Lee powder through expander-flaring die in the Lee Turret press, (auto indexing feature employed or not) in the time it takes to place a primed case in the press and size it, and advance to the powder die.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

rjohns94 wrote:Maybe I'm just wierd but I like the old ways alot better than many of the newer ways.
you and me both, brother. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Forgot the lubing question... I guess I’d say I’ve embraced it. Wattaya gonna do?....This is another job I do in batches and that doesn't require a lot of attention..
Years ago I got hold of a pound of pure mutton tallow from an online pharmacy for a BP project that I never followed up on.. But I always heard mutton tallow has lots of lubricity and that seems to be true as I’ve taken to using to it to do all my case lubing with & it don’t take much... I just have gotten used to it... I even ran lubed cases into my carbide dies.. Talk about slick!...Anyway, maybe it’s because I’m determined to make my little tallow lube discovery work that I’ve stuck with it... I own it so to speak...If you know what I mean...At room temp the tallow is about as firm as cold table butter or maybe slightly softer...
First of all though... All of my cases have been tumble polished to start with so that really cuts down on the lube needed....I get a little on the first two fingers and thumb of one hand, hold the case in the other and spin the case into the lubed fingers of the other hand... neck sizing cuts down on the applied amount needed too, if I can’t get that done with a collet sizer... I can lube three-four and sometimes five cases before I swipe my fingers a again.. After all the steps of loading there’s not much left on a loaded round that a quick spin in a paper towel wont clear off during my final inspection of each round...I enjoy hand loading as a thing in itself ...I don’t like to hurry it... and take pleasure from a well executed round..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Loading "is" what one cares to make it !

If you get into IPSC or CASS shooting then you need to load in LARGE amounts . Or if you shoot trap and skeet regularly !

I however have gravitated away from all that !

And again there's nothing at all wrong with that if a person likes and enjoys it !

For me loading is more like I have a rifle come in today and I load 10 groups of 3 shots each with different powder charges and the same bullet to get a load picked out for a specific usually 444 rifle . And granted all the bullets are ones I cast myself . But the days of me loading 50 rounds per rifle before hunting season or hundreds of rounds of pistola ammo or over !

For hunting season I usually have 9-12 rounds per rifle I plan to use loaded after the gun is sighted in .

I do however keep all 200 of my 10 gauge 2 7/8" hulls loaded with #8's , #4's and 00 Buck .

I an all actuality I probably spend more time casting and preparing my cast bullets for loading then I do in the actual loading process and all I ever use is a Ponsness Warren Metallic II for my rifle stuff , a CH4D heavy press for my buddy's 505 Gibbs and a Mec 600JR for the 10 gauge !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I just got an RCBS powder dispenser with connecting digital scale for Christmas. I haven't had a chance to use it alot, but I'm impressed. Set the charge and hit the button. Same charge everytime and fast.
Old Law Dawg
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I got into reloading 31 years ago - at the tender age of 16 - to save money. I had started shooting the .44 Magnum (still one of my favorite cartridges). Commercial rounds at the local ACE Hardware were almost $.50 a pop (nothing fancy either, bit this is the only place that would sell me a handgun round). I was making a whopping $2.75/hour at the local KFC. You do the math. I could load almost 5 rounds for the same cost as a factory round.

So I got into reloading for basic economics - I wanted to be able to shoot more!

It wasn't long before I figured out that one of the best features of reloading was the ability to customize my loads. That opened up all kinds of possibilities. I was young and full of myself, so I pushed the limits on the ol' .44 and loved it.

Several years later, as my collectiong grew, I realized that reloading enabled me to shoot things that didn't have current commercial/factory available cartridges. This opened up a whole new world for me.

Through it all though, I find reloading to be a big stress reliever. Gives me a chance to break away from the world for a bit. Hard to beat that! :D
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

getitdone1 wrote:I've never tried it but have some of you been able to neck size only for your lever-actions?
I didn't see anyone tell you this little secret, but I'll bet most of your fellow reloaders are just neck sizing most of the time, especially those of us using low-pressure cast bullet loads. I know I do. I only full-length size when the cases start showing noticeable resistance to chambering. Or I FL size if I'm not sure which gun the loads will be use in.

In the good old days "which gun" was never a question, but this past year I messed up big time and seem to have ended up with 4 rifles in 35 Rem. Maybe time to shed 3 of those, but dang! I like 'em all. And 35 Rem is neat because you can use .357 carbide to neck size, followed by Lyman "M" die to expand and give a slight bell. No Lube needed.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
Reloading in some places is a need. Consider paying near $2.50 a round for 44-40. So I scroung primers & powder from 45 ACP & cast my own 220 grainer sized to fit the fat throat on my 1907 vintage Win. SRC. Accuracy jumped from 6" at 25 feet to 3" at 75 yards.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Spray Cases with Hornady "One Shot"..........Let the lub dry for 5 minutes..........size brass........drop powder........load bullet.

Take all the loaded cases and spread on an old towel. Spray with denatured alcohol. All the lube magically disappears!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Cruise
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cruise »

Thanks for sharing your ideas! :!: :!:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

earlmck wrote:In the good old days "which gun" was never a question, but this past year I messed up big time and seem to have ended up with 4 rifles in 35 Rem.
That's an unpardonable SIN in some quarters - to have FOUR in the same chambering... :o :lol:

Sometimes the SIMPLER our lives are made, the less stressful, whether it is regarding firearms, homesteads, women, or what to plant in the garden... :wink:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:I got into reloading 31 years ago - at the tender age of 16 - to save money. I had started shooting the .44 Magnum (still one of my favorite cartridges).
. . .
It wasn't long before I figured out that one of the best features of reloading was the ability to customize my loads. That opened up all kinds of possibilities. I was young and full of myself, so I pushed the limits on the ol' .44 and loved it.
. . .
Several years later, as my collectiong grew, I realized that reloading enabled me to shoot things that didn't have current commercial/factory available cartridges.
Three VERY good reasons to reload... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ben_Rumson wrote:The old time one, and by far the most fun, is using the Lyman 310 tool to deprime with...

........The modern is the Lyman 1200 DPS electronic powder dispenser...a system that has no trouble with extruded powders whatsoever....
The perfect fusion of the old and modern... 8) 8)

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I bought a new stereo for the barn. No more staticy pops & hisses, with almost a few clear notes in between. The old one was about 45 years old. Between that and the wi-fi booster... it's nice. Now... if the cooler weather lasts til I get home! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I have been reloading since the late sixties. I use an RCBS Rockchucker single stage press, not very fast, but it does a great job. My latest additions to the loading bench have been an RCBS electronic powder measure (a very accurate tool) and even more helpful, an RCBS Trim Mate Case Prep Center.

I have been suffering from arthritis in my hands, and the twisting motion of deburring cases or cleaning flash holes became intolerably painful. The Trim Mate does both these chores very well, and I don't have to suffer any pain while using it. :D

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

THE FIRST mettalic loader I ever got was a PW Mettalic II and I've used it for about 90% of all the loading I've donbe in the past 20+ years !

http://www.reloaders.com/index.php?main ... ucts_id=56

Matter of fact until just last year the only shotgun loaders I had ever used were PW 800B's , 800C's and a 375 !

In the last two years I got a MEC for the 10 gauge 2 7/8" and a CH4D for the 505 Gibbs !

Other then that everything still gets loaded on the same old PW loader I've had ever since I started !

That was so long ago it was $200 brand new when my GF at the time gave it to me for my birthday , now they are $470+ !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

There was a time I wanted a Dillon 650 fopr my rifle reloading . But about 10 years ago I came to the conclusion that loader would be more of a hinderence to me then it would saving me anytime .

Nothing wrong with them and if I shot in some kind of match schedule where I needed 100's of rifle rounds at a time sure I would go ahead and get one . But my needs or desires don't fall into that category .

I had thoughts a year or so ago about getting back into skeet and trap again and replacing all my PW loaders . But I've since seen the error of that thought since I prefer shooting the 10 gauge 2 7/8" as well as the 12 , 16 and 20 all at 2 1/2" . Just easier and simpler and more cost effective to use MEC 600JR's now with short kits attached !
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

You couldn't be more right Pard...I blew several hundred thousand of rounds of shotshell ammo to get the elusive 400 straight thru the 80's... cost me a small fortune. Never did it...shot a buch of 399's though. I finally shifted over to International skeet about 19 and 86. That game was more suited to me. All loaded on MEC machines.

Short story: one of my craftsman went to a garage sale in Reno. Saw a used 600 jr. in 12 GA. He called me at the office & told me they wanted $5.00 for the loader. I told him to buy it & I would pay him $10. He said GREAT!

I took it home, rebuilt it into a 700 Versamec+. (One of my hobbies is to find & rebuild MEC machines). Added the 3" kit, Pro-check, steel kit and the primer kit & the new shell ejector. Added an adjustable slide & powder baffle & the precrimp rings . All the current MEC upgrades. Re-set the machine to factory spec. The total cost for the rebuild & up-grade was about $75.00. This much for a machine that will load all 2 3/4 & 3" shells, steel, lead, slugs. It has become my fav. loader along with my Lyman 20 Ga. easy shotshell loader. (I converted the Lyman to MEC bushings). I can roll crimp as well (thanks to BPI & Lyman).

My favorite shotshell progressive is a 761 Mec Grabber...total control, though not quite as fast as a Pons.(with two or three operators). They are fast enough for me. I am a total MEC fan...in spite of the awesome Ponsness/Warren loaders.

DON'T YOU DARE SELL YOUR P/W LOADERS...YOU JUST MIGHT NEED THOSE SUCKERS IN THE FUTURE PARD...

Just some encouragement from a friend...

LB
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

LeverBob wrote:You couldn't be more right Pard...I blew several hundred thousand of rounds of shotshell ammo to get the elusive 400 straight thru the 80's... cost me a small fortune. Never did it...shot a buch of 399's though.
DON'T YOU DARE SELL YOUR P/W LOADERS...YOU JUST MIGHT NEED THOSE SUCKERS IN THE FUTURE PARD...

LB
I got rid of all the PW shotshell loaders about 91 or 92 ! Stopped registerred skeet and trap at the same time !

I have a feeling you and I may have crossed paths a time or two ! But I am sad to say my highest claim to fame was 395 on several occasions ! Yep never got a 4x4 or the 100 in the little gun !

Did u ever do the North South in Damascus or the Great Eastern when they started it back up at the Beretta Club in Greenbelt ? Or perhaps the Bluegrass ?

Or perhaps The Mayberry Open when Bruce Evans had the old Bingham and Parks Club outside Winston Salem ?
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

While I don't shoot now as much as I use to, my 26 year old son has really taken to shooting in the last year and I enjoy makin' booooooollllets for him as I have more free time than he does. I'm also teaching him how to reload and he knows that my press and all the rest of the stuff will go to him some day.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

6pt-sika wrote:
LeverBob wrote:You couldn't be more right Pard...I blew several hundred thousand of rounds of shotshell ammo to get the elusive 400 straight thru the 80's... cost me a small fortune. Never did it...shot a buch of 399's though.

LB
I got rid of all the PW shotshell loaders about 91 or 92 ! Stopped registerred skeet and trap at the same time !

I have a feeling you and I may have crossed paths a time or two ! But I am sad to say my highest claim to fame was 395 on several occasions ! Yep never got a 4x4 or the 100 in the little gun !

Did u ever do the North South in Damascus or the Great Eastern when they started it back up at the Beretta Club in Greenbelt ? Or perhaps the Bluegrass ?

Or perhaps The Mayberry Open when Bruce Evans had the old Bingham and Parks Club outside Winston Salem ?
No, I don't think so 6pt...never shot east of Denver. I do think it would have been a lot of fun to shoot a few rounds with you though. My biggest shoots were the Zone 7 shoots in Cal.

LB
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

LeverBob wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:

LB

No, I don't think so 6pt...never shot east of Denver. I do think it would have been a lot of fun to shoot a few rounds with you though. My biggest shoots were the Zone 7 shoots in Cal.

LB
LB , when I made that post I saw the Dayton under your avitar and didn't notice Nevada ! I was assuming you were in Dayton Ohio !!!!!!
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

No Pard, I'm out west...even further west than L.A. Never got to shoot with Mayes or Bender either. Did shoot with Dan Woods, George & Lori Desatoff, Lane Christian & some others.

Blessings to you & yours Pard...

LB
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

LeverBob wrote:No Pard, I'm out west...even further west than L.A. Never got to shoot with Mayes or Bender either. Did shoot with Dan Woods, George & Lori Desatoff, Lane Christian & some others.

Blessings to you & yours Pard...

LB
I've been at several shoots that Mayes , Bender and the Desatoff's were . Last time I was at the Great Eastern in Richmond I went out for the 28 gauge shootoff and I was AAA at the time . Mayes was inline behind me and Bender was twqo folks in front of me !

I had gotten to know them just enough to call each other by name over the previouse three or four years . Anyway the only shoot I shot that last year was the Great Eastern and as we were waiting at station 4 for our shootoff pair Mayes asked me why he hadn't seen me anywhere else that year and I told him I had laid off shooting . Then I walked up and cut the high bird short and smoked the low bird and as I walked away he said I see you've laid off chuckled and proceeded to grind his pair up !

I walked off the field and sold my K-32 then and there and have not owned what I think of as a real skeet gun since !
That was 1992 if my memory serves !
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

More fun reloading,....

Hmm, first thing that came to mind was chearleaders or something of the sort. Reloading apprentices.

I like using the 310 tools, and the single stage press. Have a Dillon, but don't use it much.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?