Winchester 55 or B-71?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Aggiecubpilot
Levergunner

Winchester 55 or B-71?

Post by Aggiecubpilot »

I'm saving for my next lever gun and as you'll recall my past threads have been 92 related. Well I've waffled. In the quest for something different I'm considering either a 55 in 30 before they become too expensive, or a browning 71.

I've always wanted a 71, I love that action and pistol grip, but I am intimidated by the proposition of reloading it and component availability. The 55 makes more sense it seems in our region of Texas where a 30-30 is king. However I never was the biggest 94 fan.

Kinda fun to toss the ideas around isn't it? Any experiences to share anybody?

Also thanks to some great tips from all y'all I'm on the verge of getting my 45-70 loads squared away for my Jap 86. I love that rifle even with the tang safety! Range report on that to follow...
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 55 or B-71?

Post by tman »

Many consider the 71 as the ultimate lever action design. The .348 WCF. will handle all North American game out to 200 yards. If u ever head North you are covered.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

What the heck - Swap out the Model 71 buttstock, lever & lower tang onto your Miroku Model 86, and have the best of both worlds: a pistol-gripped .45/70 !

If your 86 has a full-length mag, it's not that hard to shorten the tube, ala M-55.

BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

You might consider a model 64 they come up to the shoulder like a 71 does. If I was limited to one iron sighted lever it would be a 64 in 30-30. danny
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

rough choice--- both a great choice. I suggest one of each! :D
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Interesting thought BigSky...you cross a 71 and a 55 and out pops a 64, sure enough.

I have both a 55 and a 71, and also a special order ltwt 1894 that is an early predecessor to the 55. My 55 is an early takedown with a Lyman 21 and a Sheard front that I squared off a bit. It's been used for levergun silhouette and has been out in the woods chasing mulies (to no avail) and jack rabbits (with much success :D ). I can't speak for all 55s, but mine is quite a shooter, averaging about 1-1/2" with factory ammo and spitting out 1" groups every now and then, open sights, 100 yds. It weighs 7.0 lbs., aims fast and balances like a dream. Plus you can feed it really easily...even Wally World has ammo.

Here's the lightweight special order 1894, which is sort of the granddaddy to the 55 and 64, dating to the mid teens. It looks just like my 55 except for the PG and crescent butt:

Here's a typical range session with the 55, and a little jaunt in the mountains:

My 71 (yes I'm down to only one) is an original deluxe. It's been pig and elk hunting. It's not as accurate as the 55 but it does the job. Loading components haven't been too hard to come by...there are still a lot of folks shooting 348. I have three sets of dies, nearly 1,000 pcs of brass, and enough bullets for me and my three sons. When I see it, I buy it. You could probably post a "Wanted" add in the classifieds here and get the components you need to get started. I had a B-71 20" and it outshot any original I've ever owned. It made 2" groups pretty regulary and would do 1-1/2" occasionally. My original struggles to get consistent 2-1/2" groups, and I've accepted that that's the best it will do (which is still fine with me). My W-71 weighs 8.0 lbs and the B-71 was 8.3 lbs (denser wood?). The 24" 71 is a lot of gun for deer, and will kick a little. The 20" seemed to me to be better balanced, but it's still pretty hefty. The 71s are sexy rifles for sure. I love every one I've ever had in my hands. Here's a little piggy I shot with one of my (now sold) 71s:

Conclusion: for deer and general plinking and funnin' around, I'd pick the 55 for sure.
Chad
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Chad nice looking winchesters was the hog good eating or not? are you going up north to chase elk this fall. danny
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

BigSky56 wrote:Chad nice looking winchesters was the hog good eating or not? are you going up north to chase elk this fall. danny
Yes...very good eating. Mostly sausage and hams. No elk this year, but I have three deer tags between Utah and Cali. Thanks for the compliment. I have a thing for half-mag Winchesters.
Chad