Fireforming (bolt gun)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Fireforming (bolt gun)

Post by 2X22 »

I had a M700 rebarreled to .375 Whelen Improved (40 degrees). All the data I've been able to find online tells me I should plan to use IMR4064 for full powered loads, which I have. Unfortunately I don't have any wildcat books with load data.

But I need a fireforming load. Just back off 10% using 4064? I have 235's, 260's, 270's and 300gr jacketed bullets available, also some 280gr GC cast.

I could sure use some help with this, I'm a bit in the dark.

Thanks,

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Fireforming (bolt gun)

Post by JReed »

P.O. Ackley intended for his improved chambers to be fire formed with factory ammunition in keeping with the KISS principal. If you already have some standard 375 Whelen loaded that would be the easiest way to do it. Pressure shouldn't be a problem as a bit of the combustion pressure will be expended in forming the case to the new chamber before the bullet even gets down the bore by much.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

2x22 I Have a article on the 375 imp whelen that says that a NOT fireformed case is 5% less than a fireformed case and the author (Mike Thomas) recommended a modest load to fireform in the <40K psi area with 4064 the best powder then 4895 then 4320. He also said not to load it max till its been fireformed.danny
If I can get this scanned I can email it to you
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Load data from the article 270 hornady and 57 gr IMR 4064 = 2340 fps and 1" groups most accurate bullet tested. Max OAL with 300 gr sierras is 3.35" in his bolt gun. danny
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Thanks, JReed! That is good info about Ackley and his cartridges!

Danny, if you would, I would absolutely love to get that email from you! No hurries though. But I would like to make sure that before I go to full powered loads that the cases are ready. I am not planning on hunting with it this year until late Nov at the earliest for a cow tag I drew, as long as I don't take a bull out behind the house here a few weeks earlier.

Seems to me that a 260 or 270gr bullet would be the cats meow for this particular cartridge.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

2x22 I'll get after it then give you a shout. Here's a link to some load data. danny
http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/w375whel.html
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Sounds good Danny. And THANKS!

2x22
243dave
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 243dave »

There is a way to fireform real cheap without using any bullets and do it in the garage. Use pistol powder, cream of wheat, and cleaning patches(or wax, crisco, etc,etc.) to hold it in place. Here is a link you may be interested in.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... _made_easy
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

That is some great stuff Dave! Thanks! I've heard of forming that way but didn't know exactly how.

2x22