New Toy For My Son

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

New Toy For My Son

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New Toy For My Son

Post by kimwcook »

I would be very thankful to receive that.
Old Law Dawg
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Congratulations to your son!!! :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

That's a GREAT choice...!

Is the sling on 'backwards'...? I usually put the 'loop' part up front.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

He should really like that. All of my Savages have been above average shooters. That Bushnell (possibly a sportview or banner) might surprise you (him).

Nice one, Dad!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

IMO, the gift of a good firearm in a popular caliber is always appropriate as a milestome marker for one of life's big events.

Now he needs a good knife, and he'll be "ready."

:wink: :mrgreen:
Last edited by FWiedner on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

AJMD429 wrote:That's a GREAT choice...!

Is the sling on 'backwards'...? I usually put the 'loop' part up front.

Nope, the loop goes to the rear so that it can be unhooked from the rear swivel, your arm through it to help steady the rifle when shooting. At least that is how we did it when shooting indoor 50' .22LR Match.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

damienph wrote:Nope, the loop goes to the rear so that it can be unhooked from the rear swivel, your arm through it to help steady the rifle when shooting. At least that is how we did it when shooting indoor 50' .22LR Match.
"Well I'll be dogged," as J.D. Clampett used to say...

I always put the loopy part up front and sometimes on a difficult shot, weaved my arm through the loop and it seemed to steady me. Now you got me wondering which way is 'right' (chances are, mine isn't), but then again, I guess whatever way works for the shooter is the right one. Kind of like I'm right-handed but use the mouse left-handed; I'm told 'normal' people don't do it that way... :roll: (See, I figger ya gots to keep yer gun-hand free, just in case... :wink: :lol: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

COSteve wrote:Needless to say, he's decided to keep this one, however, he's told me that he'll be 'liberating' the remaining batch (about 600rds) of my 68grn handloads. Don't ya just love kids? :lol:

Cool ---- tell him when he shoots those up, (it won't take too long with a .223) come on back and you can teach him to re-load the spent cartridges- if he doesnt know already --- before long he may have his own brace of Dillon's just like the old man :)
----- Doug
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Streetstar wrote:
COSteve wrote:Needless to say, he's decided to keep this one, however, he's told me that he'll be 'liberating' the remaining batch (about 600rds) of my 68grn handloads. Don't ya just love kids? :lol:

Cool ---- tell him when he shoots those up, (it won't take too long with a .223) come on back and you can teach him to re-load the spent cartridges- if he doesnt know already --- before long he may have his own brace of Dillon's just like the old man :)
Actually, he's learning on my 650 now. I've already told him that he'll be able to use it until I'm too old to reload and then he'll get my setup. Of course, then he'll have to reload for me. :lol:
Steve
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

COSteve wrote:
Streetstar wrote:

Actually, he's learning on my 650 now. I've already told him that he'll be able to use it until I'm too old to reload and then he'll get my setup. Of course, then he'll have to reload for me. :lol:

Well, to paraphrase the Bible a little bit --- "give a boy a fish and he'll eat today -- teach him to fish and he'll have food for a lifetime -- plus take care of dad eventually to boot "
----- Doug
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

AJMD429 wrote:
damienph wrote:Nope, the loop goes to the rear so that it can be unhooked from the rear swivel, your arm through it to help steady the rifle when shooting. At least that is how we did it when shooting indoor 50' .22LR Match.

I always put the loopy part up front and sometimes on a difficult shot, weaved my arm through the loop and it seemed to steady me. Now you got me wondering which way is 'right' (chances are, mine isn't), but then again, I guess whatever way works for the shooter is the right one. Kind of like I'm right-handed but use the mouse left-handed; I'm told 'normal' people don't do it that way... :roll: (See, I figger ya gots to keep yer gun-hand free, just in case... :wink: :lol: )
Loop in the back is the way they taught us in the Army 40+ years ago.
Steve
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Lucky boy. My 18th and 21st birthday pressies were guns- a 9422 magnum and a 12 guage CZ sidelock respectively. I will never part with either. My first gun, a break open air rifle that dad entrusted to my hands when I was 9 is no longer with me.

One of his joys will be the memories of not only hunting with it, but hunting with you with it.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:

Hoosiers :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Way to go Dad! Those guns shoot well. I zeroed one for a guy at work in 270 the other day. It didn't have the accutrigger and still shot sub-MOA with Remington factory ammo. Since the gun is brand new it may shoot in some and do even better. Great way to celebrate!
grouse
Levergunner 1.0

Post by grouse »

Sweet looking rifle! You just can't go wrong with a Savage.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Savage with the accu-trigger is a great setup. Now to go out to the Oklahoma panhandle (No Man's Land) or SouthWest Kansas and shoot some prairie poodles.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost