What's your .22LR trail gun?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FF1063
Levergunner 1.0

Re: What's your .22LR trail gun?

Post by FF1063 »

Triggernosis wrote:
FF1063 wrote: "unmanageable"? The Mark II 4-5/8" barrel balances like a dream shooting one handed.
By "unmanageable" I mean that the MK's aren't exactly "carry friendly" in my opinion as far as hanging inconspicuously on your hip while tooling about the woods like a J-frame revolver would.
True enough, that's why the 4-5/8" model is the largest I would ever buy. It's also why I modified my shoulder holster into a simple bandoleer. It hangs loosely across the chest and stays out of the way.

Saw the new Ruger SP-101 8 shot .22 today. Looks 'just right' for a trail gun. Tempting enough to get a died in the wool auto guy to start scheming on how to afford one. I hope that passes, 'cause I have a crush on that little Beretta Cheetah too.
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

A very old wonderful and accurate Ruger Single Six !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

FF1063 wrote:I hope that passes, 'cause I have a crush on that little Beretta Cheetah too.
Well at least I'm not the only one! Have you come across any accuracy reports on the Cheetah 87?
I shoot a 92FS in competition, so the Cheetah 87 would feel right at home in my hands.
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
HP Service Rifle competitor
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Triggernosis..........................I carry my M34 in a Bianchi #5BHL for small revolver. Rides high and tight, with a slight forward cant. Easily covered by long shirt tail or jacket if need be. Excellent fit and has safety strap with thumb break.
UNITE
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

I only have 5 acres, but it is mostly wooded so I usually just take my Henry .22 lever with me. My brother in law has 60 acres in Eastern Oklahoma and it is almost all forest. When he and I roam that for years I carried my old Ruger single six strong side and if I did't feel like carrying a rifle, wore my Colt Anaconda in a shoulder holsters(a few bears around once in a while). Last year I bought a USFA 12-22 and now carry it-Love the quality and worksmanship and it holds 12 instead of six. I guess I will the the single six to my son as I don't need two .22 revolvers. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
KRD
Levergunner

Post by KRD »

I usually carry a S&W 317 Airlite like one of the other posters here. Great trail gun and more likely to carry because of it's light weight. I usually keep three rounds of shot shells in it. So far this summer it has dispatched two rattlers and one fox. I live and play in lion and bear country, so sometimes I take the model 60 in .357. Same size and feel, just a little heavier.
FF1063
Levergunner 1.0

Post by FF1063 »

Well at least I'm not the only one! Have you come across any accuracy reports on the Cheetah 87?
I shoot a 92FS in competition, so the Cheetah 87 would feel right at home in my hands.
Just some informal reports of 'very good' accuracy.
Not since the Walther PP (not the PPK/S) has a rimfire looked so good.
zack coyote
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zack coyote »

My woods bummin' gun is usually my Rossi trapper in .45 Colt, or my AWA 4.75 in. SAA in .45 Colt, but since I bought my Ruger single six, it's my favorite woods sidearm. It carries and feel quite a lot like my AWA, and with the .22 mag cylinder it will handle anything I'll come up against around here. I haven't shot any living thing with it, as we don't bother the Racoons, or squirrels around the house, but we do have Hogs of all sizes, so just maybe someday.
We'll be remembered for what we've done, not what we have.
www.johndietzstudio.com
roundup
Levergunner 1.0

Post by roundup »

My trail gun was a S&W Mdl 34 4" .22 until I lost it on a rafting trip on the Wallowa river. It was somewhat difficult to shoot as I really had to be steady or have a good rest to hit anything with it. It did account for ground squirrels and a few grouse.

My current trail gun is a Ruger Mk 1 bull barrel with stock walnut grips. I carry it in an old Viking holster I purchased, for $4.00, way back when at the Blackbird in Medford, Oregon. This with an old Lawrence belt with two spare clip holders. Heavy, yes but what the heck. It usually accompanies me on stream trout fishing and during hunting season. It has furnished us with Blue and Ruffed grouse during deer/elk season. And popped a couple of buzz tails while trout fishing.

Usually when just out through the woods or desert I'll carry a Springfield 1911A1 .45 ACP or a Ruger flat-top . 4 5/8" .357, both with birdshot loads available.
Happy Trails!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Removed
Last edited by cshold on Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Beretta 70S in 22LR. :D If a holster is too much hassle, I put the Beretta 21A in my pocket. :wink:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Ruger Single Six , 6 1/2" SS, fixed sight.
Second down on the left.
:D