Gun thread standards

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Gun thread standards

Post by perry owens »

Good gunsmiths are a rare breed here in the UK so I am gradually acquiring the tools and know-how to do my own repairs and modifications. Next on my list are taps and dies, which brings up a few questions:
did the US gun industry adopt the UTS thread standard introduced in 1949? If so, is it still used? I know that some "American" guns are actually made in South America, presumably with metric screws.
Prior to UTS did the major US gun makers use their own in-house thread standards? If so is there any data available, or better still a supplier of taps and dies?
Only metric taps and dies are commonly available here and at present I can only cut metric threads on my lathe, although I can get a set of Imperial gears for it.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Gun thread standards

Post by the telegraphist »

Gday,
Re what you are asking its a very complicated issue. I have a copy of the 1873 Winchester handbook by Gorge W Stone at a very important crossover period in gunscrews. The standards at that time just being set between USA and Britain. Do you have a copy? If not I would be willing to send you my copy for your perousal, but I must have it back. It refers particualarly to the 1873 model, but I dont see that there would be any great differences in the Winchester guns later models, screw threads pitches etc are fully covered with drawings. Along with plenty of other really interesting stuff. It does explain the eventual standardisation between the two countries. See how ya go mate.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET