way off topic -- what do you guys do with old periodicals ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

way off topic -- what do you guys do with old periodicals ?

Post by Streetstar »

I confess to being a voracious reader. In addition to the some 13 or 14 subscriptions to various publications i have, i also pick up periodicals here and there that i dont subscribe to (the Guns of the Old West quarterlies, for instance -- or just something that catches my eye ) - not to mention mystery novels and other fiction

Bottom line -- i have stacks and stacks of these things in my closet -- related to my miscellaneous hobbies.

It is truly enjoyable to pick up an old dirt bike magazine from the early 80's and somewhat re-visit a different era --- but really, not sure if i will feel the same way about re-visiting old magazines 10 years from now

-------- What say you guys? Hold onto 'em until a rainy day?(what i have been doing) ---- or offload them to a charitable organization of my choice? --- I am still interested in a lot of things the young bucks like, such as dirt bikes and remote control cars -- and obviously firearms == if i could donate them to an organization that would ship them to our troops, that might warm my heart somewhat
----- Doug
Hobie

Re: way off topic -- what do you guys do with old periodicals ?

Post by Hobie »

I'm another who can be a packrat. Mom was a librarian... Ok, so what I do with most gun magazines is clip the articles I want to keep and pass on or chuck the rest. For some magazines, such as Rifle or Handloader, I hold them 3 years and then clip them. Every time a new issue comes in, it gets read and into the magazine box and the one from 3 years ago comes out to be re-read and clipped. I do the same with other magazines except they get clipped immediately after reading. Books? I keep reference books, don't buy fiction. I gave my history books which don't pertain to specific family members to my regiment's library. Other history and religious books I give to my son who has the same affliction. He periodically has had to trim his collection and he gives his books to charity for resale. The clippings? I have big 5" ring binders filled with document protectors holding the articles. I've got such a collection now that I'm going to separate into categories such as firearm history, handloading, gunsmithing, and ?????.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've been buying and subscribing to gun magazines since the 70s. I still have every one I've ever gotten. All boxed up waiting for a home library to put them in.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I sort the ones that I want or ones not read yet.
So far I have kept only 1 medium sized Tupperware container with various gun/atv/Black Belt/bicycle Mags.
About time to revisit it and make room for some more new ones.
Since moving this year I have found its nice not to have stuff scattered/lost/unused laying around.
The people that bought our old place wanted all my stuff :lol:

Found it was easier giving them a almost furnished house and making momma happy with picking new stuff(except antiques)
Now,since everything is new from the start(aint going back there) :lol:

Course maybe moving when it was snowing all week and about 10 degrees with high winds(might have made me think with a lot of stuff-----screw it) Got what I want,they can have the rest:wink:
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

I take the gun related magazines that I'm finished with to the range and share them with other readers. There always seems to be a pile of magazines, either coming or going, and everyone seems to appreciate it.
Well done is better than well said.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Everything old and new is online someplace....out they go for the old ones, and the new ones I bring to work and pass them around with the instructions I don't want them back. :idea: BTW, as soon as I started hanging out here, I don't need the gun rags....I get the American Rifleman because I just do...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

These days I try--only semi successfully--to go by a "if they're not re-read in 2 years or so, they get tossed" rule. Problem is I make too many exceptions! Looking back only ones I've truly regretted chucking in the past is old Arizona Highways dating way back, some older Outdoor Life/Field & Stream types that had some great tales, and National Geographic. The library or local book store used to take in more old magazines. These days sadly more get tossed in the recycler bin.
dave in maine
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dave in maine »

most go to the togus v.a. to be enjoyed a few like backwoodsman and countryside i keep for posterity. i hope my grand kids will enjoy them.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I take mine to my gunclub, and leave them on a table in the meeting room for any/all to enjoy/take, whatever.

Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

I used to take them to the range, back when I was a member of one that had a clubhouse. My wife is a high school teacher; for several years she would stock her classroom with old issues for the kids to read if they finished their work. Now that she is at a different school, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them.
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I read them and recycle them. Some are taken to the Dr's office where they are really needed. When I go there it is my habit to clean out any mag over a few months old. I do not save mags for any reason. Read, absorb, eliminate.:|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I save the special ones like Handloader and Rifle and the rest get dumped or given to friends.
I usually take them out to my shop where visitors will be told "take em before I dump em". Most will find a new home in short order. :wink:
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

I believe that our local Elks club donates them to a near-by veterans home.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Trash can.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I keep most of mine, "filing" them by putting them in a plastic sleeve, then putting them into hanging folders, by quarter (3 magazines per folder). I have a bunch of old filing cabinets I used to use for work, but since now everything is electronic for work, I have the space.

Like and idiot though, back over 20 years ago, I decided to put a bunch of magazines into 3-ring binders. This was before the clear slip-sleeves, so I punched holes in the magazines. :( I'm a moron...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Mike D. wrote:I read them and recycle them. Some are taken to the Dr's office where they are really needed. When I go there it is my habit to clean out any mag over a few months old. I do not save mags for any reason. Read, absorb, eliminate.:|
GOOD IDEA...!

Take them to your doctor/dentist/other office environment, perhaps accidentally tossing one of their insipid 'People' 'US Weekly' or 'Entertainment Tonight' ones in the trash, or better yet, a TIME or Newsweek, or other statist/leftist piece of garbage. Leave a couple decent hobby magazines or gun magazines in their place.

In my own office, that's what I do... :twisted:

I try to keep the waiting room stocked with:
  • Countryside & Small Stock Journal - good homesteading magazine
    Reason Magazine - good libertarian-leaning 'academic' type news/essay magazine
    Liberty Magazine - good libertarian-leaning 'uncensored' non-party-line news/essay magazine
    Women & Guns Magazine - Second Amendment Foundation's GREAT magazine for women
In addition to taking your old magazines to their office, think about a gift-subscription for your favorite doctor, dentist, or accountant or other office...!
Last edited by AJMD429 on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Books, I keep. One never knows when civilization will need rebuilding.

Perodicals go to the land-fill or the recycle plant, whichever bin happens to be open when I pitch them.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm also an avid reader, but stopped all my monthly susbscriptions years ago. Only thing I get now is my American Hunter that comes with my NRA Life membership. I tossed all the old magazines years ago, but my library of books continues to grow.
I love reference books for both my gun and car hobbies, so I can't stop adding to both.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I used to collect Nat. Geo.s but when the collection reached the Tonne stage I had to quit.

Now I only keep specific issues with specific articles - regardless of publisher.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Like Hobie, I clip the articles for my various gun binders & trash the rest. I'm a voracious reader too, but...I have a broad interest. Everything from theology texts, martial arts, poetry to adventure. The founding fathers & constitution particularly. I detest TV & prefer radio & reading.

I don't save much as I like to travel light...so I keep everything to the bare minimum.

LB
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

Give them to a kid or a friend.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Some go to the gun club lounge, the rest in the recycle bin :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

K1500 wrote:Give them to a kid or a friend.

Thanks guys, Sadly, i don't know anybody within 200 miles of me who has any similar interests or i would.

Today begins the weeding out process, plan is to fill a couple of milk crates with what i want to keep (Fur-Fish and Game back issues mainly -- some gun rags -- namely handloader and Rifle) and take the rest downstairs ----
just getting them out of the spare closet will be a triumph

I will hit up the local Nat'l Guard and Reservist's and see if i can make a "goodwill" donation ----- when i was stuck in the sandbox 20 years ago, getting a box of new magazines from my folks was a morale booster.

Sadly, i can't afford to ship 500 punds of magazines over
----- Doug
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I have developed a relationship with the librarian at our local high school, and donate 4wd, shooting and fishing magazines to the school.

The librarian has told me that her budget is not big enough to stretch to this type of magazine and it enables her to get boys into the library who ordinarily would not go there.

Before donating I usually scan any article I may want for reference.