A Marlin guy joins the Dark Side. . .

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

A Marlin guy joins the Dark Side. . .

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd tip-toed in the 'Winchester' waters via a couple Rossi 92's, but never owned a Winchester.

It's a .375 Winchester Big Bore. Ka-Thump it goes, and right on target. 8) We had to fix the wood-splitter, move a bunch of downed tree limbs, and other odds-and-ends chores, we only had time to mount the Williams FP-375, then a quick two shots at the 12" gong from 75 yards standing. Both of us hit the gong, so a little fine-tuning, and we're good to go. Definitely a 'reload' cartridge though; that one box of 20 factory loads was $49...!

It's strange how the 'guts' come out of the bottom when you work the lever, in contrast to the Marlin, and I'm still thinking I like the Marlin 1894 better than the Winchester 1892, and the Marlin 336 better than the Winchester 1894, BUT I know that in both instances, the Winchester is felt to be the stronger one. Seems like after all these years owning firearms, and not having a Winchester 94, that I am somehow righting a wrong, nonetheless... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: A Marlin guy joins the Dark Side. . .

Post by Griff »

A Winchester 94 is a "thing" unto itself. Unlike any other firearm, except maybe some "odd" bolt actions that seem ungainly or ackward after my Remington 700. Regardless of whether you like the rifle or not... you'll like the cartridge.

Congrats... looks nice!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Griff wrote:Regardless of whether you like the rifle or not... you'll like the cartridge.
Oh don't get me wrong - I really LIKE the rifle (and the cartridge), even though I'll probably always be a 'Marlin Guy' deep down.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

AJMD429 wrote: Seems like after all these years owning firearms, and not having a Winchester 94, that I am somehow righting a wrong, nonetheless... 8)
welcome young jedi. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I got my .375 BB @ a year ago. Love that rifle!

Want some big fun? Load some .375 RB and a few grains of Unique. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

'Ya got that backwards, Doc. Marlin IS the "Dark Side". :mrgreen:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'm sure you've seen the e-mail before (it has been around many times) - on why guns are better than women. Don't actually agree with that (guess I am still fairly young :wink: ), but one thing is true - your Marlins will never get jealous of your new Winchester, and your Winchester won't care that you still love your Rossi. The "harem" all plays well together! :lol:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Griff wrote:A Winchester 94 is a "thing" unto itself. Unlike any other firearm, except maybe some "odd" bolt actions that seem ungainly or ackward after my Remington 700. Regardless of whether you like the rifle or not... you'll like the cartridge.

Congrats... looks nice!
That's a big 10-4.
Mike D. wrote:'Ya got that backwards, Doc. Marlin IS the "Dark Side". :mrgreen:
I'm with ya, Mike. Even though I do own a Marlin lever. :D
Old Law Dawg
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Nice Winchester! 8)

I'm kinda' going through the same thing, except I brought a Marlin into my Winchester collection! :lol:

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

U Guys just gave Me an Idea of what to do with that 3rd new Safe.- Put all My Marlins in it cause My Winchesters won't Fit. THX It has yet to have a Gun in it.
PErry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
TravisM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TravisM »

That is a beautiful rifle there. Congrats! :D
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Yeah, I succumbed to the Dark Side, too, and bought a 1950 336A .35 Remington. :roll:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

My Winchester 94 BB in 375 Win. turned out to be just one more of those STUPID mistakes that I made a long time ago...like an idiot I got rid of it :oops: , now I am wishing I had it back, not that I need that round to round out my collection, but just because I wish I had it back :x
Terry
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You are in the big leagues now! Read Paco's article on the 375 Winchester in the Big Bore. Some fun now.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Savage wrote:You are in the big leagues now! Read Paco's article on the 375 Winchester in the Big Bore. Some fun now.
Yep. That article was one of the factors in my decision, in addition to coming upon a really good deal on one just because it has a small stock scratch, a spot of tarnish (not rust) on the 'falling out guts' thing-a-ma-jigger, and someone defaced it horribly by putting on a magazine-mounted sling swivel stud. Since I'd of had the stock scratched the first day (probably while mounting the sling swivel stud), the only 'issue' was the tarnish spot, and I'm sure I'd have done that sooner or later somehow.

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

That's very "Nice"! :mrgreen:

Winchesters are like potato chips---once you have one(you need more) :lol:
Great gun in a fantastic cartridge.
Congrats Doc! :wink:
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Nice one :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Mike D is right!
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Best to have a couple of each 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Really nice looking rifle. Yours is set up the same as mine, Williams receiver sight and front sight hood still in place. It is my absolute favorite lever rifle that I own.

Marlin 336C - 30-30
Marlin 336SC - 32 WS
Marlin 336C - 35 Rem
Marlin 444P - 444 Marlin
Mossberg 472 - 30-30
Winchester 94 Trapper - 30-30
Winchester 94 Classic - 30-30
Winchester 94 XTR - 375 Win
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

When you start reloading for that beast (especially with Paco's loads), you are going to want a better recoil pad..... :D
Wayne Miller
(Known as "Mossyrock" elsewhere)

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

Got that exact rifle and nuther one just like it in 356 and quite a few other std 94's . AND I LIKE ANY ONE OF MY MARLINS BETTER. They fit better ,shoot better , look a whole bunch better . They just have class and when in hand you know they will do the job if you do yours . Also it is real nice to pick up a winchester and then handle any marlin , the marlin will bring a smile to my face :D .
thats why they make fords and chevrolets
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Wayne Miller wrote:When you start reloading for that beast (especially with Paco's loads), you are going to want a better recoil pad..... :D
Nah, just hold on!
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

Beautiful Big Bore you have there. Image
Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
End the cycle of hatred, don't give them a tomorrow.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've been in the process of de-MarlinIzing, and getting Winchesters....I'll keep the 1895CB and GS, though.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

gimdandy wrote:Got that exact rifle and nuther one just like it in 356 and quite a few other std 94's . AND I LIKE ANY ONE OF MY MARLINS BETTER. They fit better ,shoot better , look a whole bunch better . They just have class and when in hand you know they will do the job if you do yours . Also it is real nice to pick up a winchester and then handle any marlin , the marlin will bring a smile to my face :D .
thats why they make fords and chevrolets
???????? - as they say, different strokes for different folks i guess. My issues with Marlin Jam on my 1894 almost caused me to give up on the brand altogether --- then a similar thing happened to another hunter with his 336 in his blind a couple years ago while trying to make a follow up shot --- ultimately he recovered the animal and the first shot was clean thankfully. Looks be darned, you still have to be able to make the shot

i have had no problems with my 1895GS and i love it as a hunting tool, but to say the short, fat little rifle handles or looks better than a Winny 1886 or 94 is blasphemous .
But as you said "thats why they make fords and chevrolets" , or "Tastes great! Less filling!" or any number of other fitting analogies.
----- Doug
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

The winchester Bigbores are every bit well made, sometimes better, than the pre-64 94's. Mine is a pre-angle eject .375. Might be the last gun standing in my small collection if times get any worse.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

tman wrote:The winchester Bigbores are every bit well made, sometimes better, than the pre-64 94's. Mine is a pre-angle eject .375. Might be the last gun standing in my small collection if times get any worse.

I can't say that my top eject 375 BB is better than the pre '64s but the wood and metal finish is really outstanding and although it might not be my last long gun to go, it would definitely be my last lever to go.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Congrats Andrew! There is something special about the Big Bores.....feels like the standard 94 but with a slightly more modern and powerful twist. I like the Winchesters over the Marlins for their Chrome Moly barrels....tough, strong and long wearing. I like em both though, and see no reason for discrimination! :wink:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

God Bless ya TX Pete...will stick your name in on this thread as we know you wouldn't have missed out on it. :(
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =6&t=36157
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I really like the way that many of the Big Bore 94s are so well finished. Standard Model 94s of the same era do not usually exhibit the same level of fit and especially metal finish. They're lovely!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

C. Cash wrote:God Bless ya TX Pete...will stick your name in on this thread as we know you wouldn't have missed out on it.
The thought is appreciated - we should all remember to enjoy our lives as if our departed friends and loved-ones could see it through our eyes along with us.

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Now that you've gone to the dark side you need to forget the password and secret handshake! ;)
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/