Would you do the "Buy It Now" on this Win 94?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Would you do the "Buy It Now" on this Win 94?

Post by J Miller »

http://buy.gunauction.com/10594509/winc ... herry-nice

Was looking at some options and found this one. Beautiful carbine, but ....... why would some mentally defective IDIOT engrave their SS# on the outside of the receiver?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Would you do the "Buy It Now" on this Win 94?

Post by Blaine »

:( Lots of insurance reps talk up marking your property with that.....don't know why :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I'd say no, IMO too many other options same or within $50 that don't have that current or potential issue.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

BlaineG wrote::( Lots of insurance reps talk up marking your property with that.....don't know why :roll:
Blaine,
The Phoenix PD used to have a program they called "Operation Identification". You could call them and they'd loan you an engraver to put your drivers license or another number on your belongings. I had my own engraver so I did it to all my tools, our television, and other things too. But I did not deface any of my firearms. They already had serial numbers so I figured it wasn't necessary.
We were robbed and I lost almost everything that I'd spent time engraving. Only the Marlin Glenfield Mdl 60 and my Win 94 flat band were recovered.
So if anybody is in the Phoenix area and you see any tools with the number; D111010 engraved in them - they're stolen.

gak,
I agree with you up to a point. That carbine is virtually new and barely used other than the scar on the receiver. I'd be tempted to put in a bid on it, but not the BIN.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

No way would I hit the buy it now on that one. There are too many out there for better prices without the redo spot.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Rube Burrows wrote:No way would I hit the buy it now on that one. There are too many out there for better prices without the redo spot.
Ditto, plus that recoil pad could be hiding another poor condition item. If it were pristine under there, I wonder why it wasn't mentioned. or removed for a pic.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

For a 1975? Not a chance!!

I've seen some really nice pre-64s around here for less than that.
Give me the word and i'll track one down for you.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J Miller wrote:Beautiful carbine, but ....... why would some mentally defective IDIOT engrave their SS# on the outside of the receiver?
I think it is the 'mark' (pun intended) of someone who is basically saying, "By G_d, you're NOT going to get away with stealing THIS from me, you creep..."

Sad that it was felt necessary.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AJMD,

I think you might have just hit the nail on the head. But he defaced it, just like a tom cat marking his territory on a brand new leather couch.

Joe
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Other than "the mark", that firearm looks mighty clean and in good condition for the parts that can be seen.

The engraving thing thing is not uncommon. Not everybody thinks about the trade vaule of their property and I'd suppose the guy didn't plan on parting with it when he bought it.

Personally, I don't think the price is bad if it's actually in as good a condition as it looks from the photos.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Joe,

I think that it is worth bidding on, although the "But It Now" price is top dollar IMO. I think that you could work the reblued part and blend it in better. The "might darken with age" is nonsense. A very nice looking rifle, I would take it even with the reblued part but I think the value is between $350 and $400 tops.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Joe I would send the seller a email that said if it didn't sell you would offer XXX.00 for it.
Harry
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

A manufacture date in 1975 indicates the receiver is probably made during the time that Winchester used an alloy steel that lost it's blueing with age and wear and this steel does not take well to re-blueing.
That is at best a $275 rifle considering it's condition and where the SS number was scratched on it.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Stan in SC wrote:A manufacture date in 1975 indicates the receiver is probably made during the time that Winchester used an alloy steel that lost it's blueing with age and wear and this steel does not take well to re-blueing.
That is at best a $275 rifle considering it's condition and where the SS number was scratched on it.

Stan in SC
Yep Yep.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Stan in SC wrote:A manufacture date in 1975 indicates the receiver is probably made during the time that Winchester used an alloy steel that lost it's blueing with age and wear and this steel does not take well to re-blueing.
Stan in SC
All steel is an alloy. But what you were looking for was "scintered" steel. And while yes, they don't take a hot blue, there are a couple of chemical alternatives.

Joe, for a shooter, what does the finish really matter?
harry wrote:Joe I would send the seller a email that said if it didn't sell you would offer XXX.00 for it.
Harry
+1
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Griff,
Joe, for a shooter, what does the finish really matter?
Absolutely nothing.

I have it bookmarked, I'll watch it and see what happens.

Joe
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

damienph wrote: I would take it even with the reblued part but I think the value is between $350 and $400 tops.
Ditto.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I have a couple of my long past Grandpaw's guns lovingly inscribed across the side with his SS#. :roll: I don't recall who thought it was a good Christmas for him gift back in 70whatever,
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Nope!
Every time someone sees it, you have to explain your weren't the mental defective that did that? :roll:

At least the yahoo could have did it somewhere hidden under the stock or something with his full name????

SSN??????-------not only does the robber take your gun,he steals your identity.

Amazing!

Too much money for that gun!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Joe, weren't you wanting an octagon barreled rifle? You already have a couple carbines don't you?

What did you do with the 50's gun that had the bad chamber? It could be rebarreled with an octagon barrel. There's a couple guys that have them now and then.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

To ME that is a $250 rifle. When they come in the shop we tell people, "well, it is all crapped up, we'll have to remove that to sell the gun and for sure you don't want you SSN out there." Most give a blank stare, take the $50-100 and leave. Such guns might ASK more money but they seldom sell for more than $250, ESPECIALLY in this economy. That's my experience.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Malamute wrote:Joe, weren't you wanting an octagon barreled rifle? You already have a couple carbines don't you?

What did you do with the 50's gun that had the bad chamber? It could be rebarreled with an octagon barrel. There's a couple guys that have them now and then.
Malamute,
Yes I do want a 26" full octagon barrel rifle. And yes that 1950 can be rebarreled.
Matter of fact I have a barrel to do just that. What's hanging that up is I haven't been able to find a wrench big enough to use on the receiver. And I'm not that good at fabricating things out of the air.

My actual goal is a Trapper, a carbine, and a rifle. All with receiver sights and post front sights. I'd be 2/3 of the way there if the carbine chamber wasn't botched.
Hobie wrote:To ME that is a $250 rifle. When they come in the shop we tell people, "well, it is all crapped up, we'll have to remove that to sell the gun and for sure you don't want you SSN out there." Most give a blank stare, take the $50-100 and leave. Such guns might ASK more money but they seldom sell for more than $250, ESPECIALLY in this economy. That's my experience.
Hobie,
I'm not arguing with you one bit. I've done nothing but watch the auction. The only attraction I have to that specific carbine is it's virtually mechanically new. Meaning that it's usable life is undiminished.

Joe
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

resist temptation if at all possible :lol: Looks like a $300 rifle at most --- my judgement is based on the fact that i purchased a early 80's model 94 for 300 bucks a few months ago-- looked like it had not seen but a box or two of cartridges if that in its life

When i factored in shipping plus the fee to the FFL holder, my $300 rifle cost about $365 too
----- Doug
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

I am going to watch that auction also. If it sells I am going to buy a bunch of 94's. That is a sub $250 rifle in my area. Definitely not worth $300 in my area. You can pick up Pre-64's for $450 or less around here. Especially one day after the end of deer season. Tom.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

There is one thing that some folks forget. Here in IL there is no center fire deer hunting. Lever guns such as that 94 just are not that common here. Go into the gun stores and you'll see lots of rifles but most will be bolt guns and of those that are lever guns most will be Marlins and most of the rest will be CAS type lever guns.

And none of them will be down around this magical $250.00 unless it's the fluke of the decade.

I've done nothing about the carbine. Won't.

Joe
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

J Miller wrote:There is one thing that some folks forget. Here in IL there is no center fire deer hunting. Lever guns such as that 94 just are not that common here. Go into the gun stores and you'll see lots of rifles but most will be bolt guns and of those that are lever guns most will be Marlins and most of the rest will be CAS type lever guns.

And none of them will be down around this magical $250.00 unless it's the fluke of the decade.

I've done nothing about the carbine. Won't.

Joe

Even though Kansas is a centerfire rifle deer hunting state, where I live there are very few opportunities to buy guns of any kind except private party. That rifle would easily sell for $350 here. You guys need to bring your $250 Winchesters out here, they would be a quick sell.