EDM...I gotta get one of these!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

EDM...I gotta get one of these!

Post by rbertalotto »

At the heart of the machine shop are the EDM’s (Electric Discharge Machine). These machines use electricity to cut our dies. We have both wire feed EDM’s and plunge EDM’s (otherwise referred to as a sinker EDM.) Because the dies are made of extremely hard material, some of them have an incredibly long life span.

The wire EDM sends an electrical current through the wire via electrical contacts in the upper and lower heads, which move independently giving the machinists the ability to cut very complex shapes. Below is an example of what the wire EDM is capable of. The machine was programed to cut a #1 on one side of a solid steel block and a #2 on the other.

The sinker EDM is used to machine various shapes into very hard materials. We use these machines to cut the shapes of the bullets nose or ogive as well as other applications in the bullet building process. This machine uses an electrode to burn its way into the material. The EDM’s can hold very tight tolerances – up to .0001 of an inch which is equal to the diameter of a human hair sliced lengthwise into 30 equal pieces. As an example of its capabilities, pictured below is an item produced by the Sinker EDM machine. This is a solid piece of steel that has been machined to produce a ball inside that cannot fall out.

All of this from the Barnes Bullet newsletter this month...........
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Re: EDM...I gotta get one of these!

Post by gimdandy »

that's very impressive ....thanks , hadn't seen this before
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Yeah, I'd love to have an EDM for fine work.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Place I used to work used the wire type to cut the stators for their hard drive motors.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Would that work to open up a 30-30 die to 35-30?
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

EDM's are great for screws broken off flush on a gun or scope mount and can remove the broken screws without injury to surrounding metals. All kinds of uses for certain. I remember when they first arrived on the scene a simple EDM machine would cost way up in the six figure bracket. Now they have come out with duplicating machines which will make any part out of metal like a Xerox machine prints out copies. Seen some write ups on them and it is claimed it will make a lot of various machines obsolete. Start watching machinery sales and see what is being sold off. Some lathes and Mills can be bought for as cheap as a penny a pound. The future of machine parts is looking and growing fast. May negate a lot of gun controls schemes if some one can just drop a print of gun parts into the machine and get a complete ready to assemble gun out the other end. Interesting times. They have talked of putting such a machine or machines on the space station to make repair parts and replacement stuff. ATB
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Yes, an EDM would be fantastic.
Old Law Dawg
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Tycer wrote:Would that work to open up a 30-30 die to 35-30?
Mike at Specialty Pistols Forum was using EDM to chamber barrels so I would think it would work quite well.

That would be neat to have in the basement.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Dewight
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dewight »

I don't know much about them, but I always thought if they would fit in the bore, they would be perfect for rifling a barrel.
Member: Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

Dewight wrote:I don't know much about them, but I always thought if they would fit in the bore, they would be perfect for rifling a barrel.

Hardly a new idea, S&W has been doing it this way for at least 10 years!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You'd think it would overheat the metal, and leave a raw, pitted surface that would need lots of finishing. Amazing.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

Using EDM to make rifled barrels. I seem to remember when Smith and Wesson started doing this there was a bit of talk about this process made the barrel so smooth it would not be possible to run a ballistic test for identification on a fired bullet. Supposedly the complaint came from the ATF and similar groups. I cannot remember but it seems Smith intentionally rigged the edm process to avoid making perfectly smooth rifleing because of the uproar over the EDM process for rifleing the barrels. Of course I could be wrong. Just a bit of trivia. ATB
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Cliff wrote:Using EDM to make rifled barrels. I seem to remember when Smith and Wesson started doing this there was a bit of talk about this process made the barrel so smooth it would not be possible to run a ballistic test for identification on a fired bullet. Supposedly the complaint came from the ATF and similar groups. I cannot remember but it seems Smith intentionally rigged the edm process to avoid making perfectly smooth rifleing because of the uproar over the EDM process for rifleing the barrels. Of course I could be wrong. Just a bit of trivia. ATB
Now, that's interesting. Of course a lack of marks would itself be a distinguishing characteristic.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson