Combat shotguns/home defense shotguns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Combat shotguns/home defense shotguns

Post by rjohns94 »

Which shotgun is your go to shotgun for home defense, or when things go bad shotgun? I'm currently finishing up mods on my latest and I'm liking what it is turning out to be but I was wondering what your shotgun tastes are. Pics appreciated!!!! Here is mine. Benelli M4, collapsable stock, choke tubes, extended mag, replaced bolt carrier, mag follower, foregrip and mag tube. Ghost ring night sights, eotech. I have a light for the foregrip rail. waiting on a side saddle and the bolt release large push pad. Ran about 50 rounds of buckshot and slugs through it today in about 5 mins to make sure the eotech was set as I wanted it.

Last edited by rjohns94 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT - combat shotguns/home defense shotguns

Post by shooter »

Mine is a Remington 870 Express with an 18" bbl. I've got a speedfeed pistol grip for it, but it's not on right now, it's just got the regular butt stock. I keep it loaded with buckshot and a flashlight handy. I need to get a mount for the flashlight. I like the pump mainly because it's my only shotgun, and it's very reliable. I know semi-autos can be fairly reliable, but I've never had one that didn't jam at least once in a while.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Well, brother, I don't have a home defense shotgun other than a Stoeger Coachgun.....I bought an Remington 870, 12 ga, matte finish w/synthetic stock and extended mag for my sister, due to a recent divorce and she didn't have any firearm for home defense. I'd have to say that is my idea of a home defense shotgun. I have enough firearms around the house I'd use for home defense. A nice Remington 1187 w/extended mag would probably meet my requirements of a high end home defense shotgun.
Old Law Dawg
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I finally got my HD Shotgun project finished. This was a $100 pawn shop buy when I first picked it up. Its a REM 870 that came with a 28" barrel with a MOD choke. When I first got it, it had no finish and was rusted but no pitting. Recently, I picked up a 20" slug barrel that also is fitted with REM CHOKES and has rifled sights. I now have what i consider IMO the perfect shotgun combo. It can go from Upland game to Ducks, Turkey, Deer or HD all with a quick switch of a barrel or choke tube; not bad for a grand total of $225 invested!

“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

1972 Ithaca 37 Deerslayer Deluxe ( 20" barrel) :D
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Remington Model 11, somewhat modified...

jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I recently bought this Mossberg turkey gun in 20 ga. for HD.
We had an incident with a rabid racoon in the dawg kennel that needed many shots with a .22 to put it down.

The weight and recoil are a bit more manageable for my wife than a 12 ga .
I got some 2-3/4" #3 buckshot loads as the best compromise between birdshot and slugs. As bears are becoming more common in the neighborhood, I will have to add some slugs to the ammo selection shortly.

I like the rifle sights that are on the gun to ensure proper shot placement for my wife, who is an occasional shooter.
I also like the appearance of the mossy oak camo, which is less ominous than a regular riot gun.

Jack
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Pisgah wrote:Remington Model 11, somewhat modified...

NICE< I am droolin!!!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I don't actually use a shotgun for home defense, I use an AR-15 and pistols.

Reason being, I have millions of rounds through an AR, and I've cleared a few thousand buildings in the dark with one....stick with what you know. Loaded with softpoints, it penetrates less than anything else as well while still being effective on targets.

When i did have a HD shotgun, it varied between a Benelli Nova SP (18", ghost ring sights) and an 870 (18.5" with a fiberoptic bead). Both had a sidesaddle and sling.

Hornady TAP or Federal LE Flite-Control is about the best buckshot out there for tight patterning and effectiveness.

In your case......lose the Eotech. Seriously. They have issues with battery life (known) and recoil (well known). Not only do they suck up batteries when left sitting, shotgun recoil can make the batteries in the battery box 'bounce' and you'll have an optic that will decide to shut itself off between shots and maybe not come back on (assuming it turns on to begin with).

Several friends have experienced this in Iraq and Afghanistan during firefights using 5.56mm and 7.62mm. Dozens of people i know have had Eotechs die during callouts when they needed them to work 'right now'. I sold optics for a living after using them for a living, and I owned an Eotech for a short while because it was "Free Ninety Nine" and got rid of it as soon as I could for an Aimpoint H-1.

For a home use gun, I would recommend XS Sight's Big Dot tritium bead, or their ghost ring setup with the same. Fast, accurate, and night-visible.

You don't really need chokes if you are using the abovementioned ammunition, which will pattern a load smaller than your fist out to 15 yards.

You DO (no debate) need a solid weaponlight. A Surefire fore-end being the best, a rail mount with a smaller Surefire also being good. Get the LED lens model, they don't break under recoil.

I've spent way too much time in the dark hunting bad people with everything from a stock M16, an M9, and a fully-tricked out M4 with light, lasers, Aimpoint, grenade launcher and all the other fun stuff.

Lights are not an option, even if you have night vision (no depth perception) if you're working indoors.
Hobie

Re: Combat shotguns/home defense shotguns

Post by Hobie »

Taken together, HD shotguns get the most hits on my blog, there must be a reason! :wink:

I currently use a Winchester 120 and an Ithaca 37. A friend has a cut-down Browning Auto-5 (over which I drool). I've personally stepped back from "mods" even though I used to have a side-saddle on the Winchester.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

We got this for said purpose 20 or so years ago, and for a non-gun-familiar person who wants a minimal-recoil 12 gauge (the thing is VERY heavy), it would actually be a good choice. The mechanism is basically that of a double-action revolver, only bigger, so it's very simple to operate. The 'tommy-gun' like visual appearance ought to be intimidating, if nothing else.

Everyone in the family has learned to shoot more practical guns, like revolvers and pump-shotguns, so after getting it properly 'papered' (they were changed to 'NFA items' shortly after my purchase :roll: ), I recently traded it (paperwork pending) for a suppressor for my .22 levergun - which will probably be a way more practical and 'fun' NFA item.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Winchester 97.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Stock 20" 870 Express Mag. I've debated a light but after reading MrMurph's post, I think that debate is over. The thought of rifle sights appeals as well so maybe a slug barrel is in order.

OTOH, if something like this came my way... :mrgreen:
Pisgah wrote:Remington Model 11, somewhat modified...

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Western Field model 550 i believe 12 gage fot the shop and a Mossy 590 with ghost ring sights and bayonet fot the house.

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Just had to defend my home! :o
A chip monk was trying to chew his way in on the vinyl siding at the front of my house.(2nd one this year)
He was wary so I was patient and stood motionless for 40 mins :lol:

Once one jumped into a rhododendron bush,I blasted him with my 12ga Winchester M37 single with high brass #6's at 25ft
Got him and I think ruined wife's bush! :wink:

Thinking that possibly doing all this different type landscaping stuff also around whole house and laying stone even right up to the siding might give some snake/chip monk issues ? (wife talked me into it) :oops: She seems to always get want she wants!

Hey, I wheeled it up from creek-----if she changes her mind she can take all 200-300 loads back down to the creek! :lol: (at least it seems like that much?)

Get this, my dirt/gravel driveway is over 350ft and is inclined at spots (runs along a big creek gorge 30ft below driveway)
She said last week------"Honey, you did such a darn good job being a rock layer do you think you could our driveway the same way?"

I said----------------------------------GET REAL :lol:-----------where's another chip monk?
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

madman4570 wrote:....,I blasted him with my 12ga Winchester M37 single with high brass #6's at 25ft
Ummm... Maybe a pellet gun would have been more suited to the task. :wink:
On the other hand, you won't need to trim the bush anytime soon. :D

Jack
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

My home defense guns are the types I am most comfortable with. Remington 870s in various places where I spend the most time, and a Smith & Wesson revolver beside the bed.

My reasoning is the same as MrMurphy's, just with different platforms. I did a hitch in the USAF, but we didn't exactly get a lot of time on the range and the M-16/AR-15 is far from second nature with me. I did grow up with pump shotguns, snap shooting quail and pheasants. I figure if I can knock down a couple of pheasants or quail when they jump up in front of me, putting a load of buckshot in an intruder should be no problem.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I have one of the 870 Express Home Defense models under the bed.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Mine is an 870 Wingmaster that is a retired police gun. It's smooth as butter and knows how to do it's part. It's nutin fancy, just a 20" 2 3/4 bbl with a bead front sight.

The bayonet is a nice touch, they be a real fear factor.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

jhrosier wrote:
madman4570 wrote:....,I blasted him with my 12ga Winchester M37 single with high brass #6's at 25ft
Ummm... Maybe a pellet gun would have been more suited to the task. :wink:

Jack
:lol: :lol:

Trust me I thought of that and many times in the past that's what I do.
But these chip monks are getting really wary.
And the last one I shot with my pellet gun after being shot ran in the garage and got in behind a studded wall and smelled for 2 weeks.

So, with them bad buggers if they are monkeying with the house/gargae and I get a clear shot(chip monk/squirrel it's the old Win 37 12ga. :lol:
Aint taking no prisoners. :wink: :wink:

My friend's new house just built last year has already had 2 gray squirrels actually chew underneath his siding/through plywood etc. and chewed up some of his wiring.(lights and some outlets to living room/hallway)stopped working.I fixed it for him and also trapped those 2 for him! Couldn't shoot em he lives in town.
Last edited by madman4570 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

My house gun is a Remington 870 with a 20" barrel and extended mag. It has a Surefire flashlight pump handle and a big head safety. The sights are just a bead front. It is a little long but very powerful. Inside a room a load of buckshot will pretty much rat hole someone. I am a big believer in the weapon mounted light. There isn't any good way to handle a flashlight and a shotgun at the same time. I don't expect to ever shoot it past 15 yards, 25 yards max.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

My home defense shotgun is the Mossberg 590A1 on the right (Pitchy, my wife was sure that I was the only one who keeps a house gun with a bayonet affixed.)

The middle one is my Mossberg 835 (the first birthday present my wife bought me in Feb 1991. It has accounted for MANY turkeys; Gobblerforge, that is factory camo I just left it as is)

The one on the left is my first pump shotgun, JC Higgins - High Standard Model 20. My Dad gave it to me when he thought that I had outgrown my 16g H&R Topper.

All of these are 12g.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

The shotgun I rely on is an old Ithaca 37 with a 20" tube and tritium front dot. It did the same service for my Grandfather for several decades (minus the tritium dot). It might not be "cool" or "fashionable" but I have total faith in it and in my ability to use it.

Eric

P.S.
My Dad has an almost identical Model 11 to Pisgah's that he dotes over and trusts as much as I trust my Ithaca.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

damienph wrote:My home defense shotgun is the Mossberg 590A1 on the right (Pitchy, my wife was sure that I was the only one who keeps a house gun with a bayonet affixed.)

The middle one is my Mossberg 835 (the first birthday present my wife bought me in Feb 1991. It has accounted for MANY turkeys; Gobblerforge, that is factory camo I just left it as is)

The one on the left is my first pump shotgun, JC Higgins - High Standard Model 20. My Dad gave it to me when he thought that I had outgrown my 16g H&R Topper.

All of these are 12g.
I feel better now knowing i`m not the only one. :D
Nice guns, the heat shield looks nice on them too.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jhrosier wrote:Ummm... Maybe a pellet gun would have been more suited to the task. :wink:
Well - a shotgun does shoot 'PELLETS'... :lol:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

I've got an 870 at home; I had a gunsmith cut a 28" vent rib barrel to about 19" and re-thread it for Remchokes. There's also a large fiber optic bead on it and a Sure-fire light. I also took about an inch off the buttstock.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I guess, the only shotguns I have that might be called "defense" shotguns would be the "Perfect Jeep Gun", .410 Mossy with an 18" barrel, but it usually only comes out of the safe when I go Jeepin' and is broken down while stored. Or the "Perfect Truck Gun" which is a 20ga Franchi with a 18.5" barrel similarly set up and pretty much lives in my truck. So, if I were to rely on a shotgun for "defense", it would likely be my lefty 870 12 ga. But, I think the shortest barrel I have for that is a 26", so it wouldn't be real "handy" in the house.

Truth be told, if I need something more than a handgun, I'm likely to grab a levergun. That opens a whole other kettle of fish. Heck, I'd likely take so long deciding the pro and cons of the ones in the safe, the moment would likely have passed. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I always thought about getting a shotgun for HD but never have. I don't shoot shotguns much with the exception of hunting and trapshooting and for both of those I use an O/U. My 'smith has tried to get me to get an 1100 for HD.

Basically I have always used a Marlin .44 Levergun loaded with hardcast .44 specials since I don't have any neighbors and no kids to worry about. Also sitting with the Marlin is a 1911 and a Ruger flattop in .44. The few times I have had to go confront trouble I have found myself grabbing the Ruger flattop simply because I carry it everyday and shoot it almost every day. I'm just comfortable with it.

But I GOTTA figure out what I am going to do for a HD shotgun...
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Gary
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gary »

For outdoors "home defense" I might choose a shotgun. For indoors, I prefer a handgun. My hallways are too narrow for a long gun, which also requires both hands. With a handgun, I have one hand free to open doors or hold a flashlight.

My one and only shotgun, a Winchester 1300, held by one of my sons...

.Dirty-.Thirty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .Dirty-.Thirty »

I have 3 guns I have ready for home defense, for some reason a rifle is not among them. I have a Glock 17 with 16 rounds at the ready as well as a Ruger Blackhawk .357, but I feel safest when I handle my Remington 870, it has a 21" barrel a modified choke in it, loaded with 7+1 capacity, being #4 buckshot. I replaced its stocks with a black pistolgrip full length stock. I plan to further test different cartidges and perhaps will go with 00 buckshot shells. My current setup will open extremely quick pattern for inside the house.
Marlin Owner....Henry Owner....Winchester Owner
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I agree with MrMurphy but sometimes grab a 12Ga.
Shotguns.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice shotgun, Mike. My last Undersheriff had a Benelli M4. Really nice shotgun, I was tempted to covet it, but I didn't. :D
Old Law Dawg
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I'm more of a rifle and pistol user. Isn't really anything I'd shoot with a shotgun that can't be shot with a rifle or pistol, and do it at longer ranges if need be. A Smith sixgun or Winchester can handle whatever comes around, from grizzlies on down.

Have an 870, but just don't think of it for any use but clays every couple years. Can't remember the last time I shot it. Not sure where it is either, come to think of it.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

I have a Remington model 1100, 20 ga Lightweight, 21" bbl and std. lgth. mag. Have not been keeping it loaded but do keep a Glock 19 w/Trijicon Night Sights on stand by bed and have a Marlin model 60 22 LR loaded near back door. This Marlin is mainly for varmits that come close to the house.

Several years ago I started keeping a gun loaded. Got to thinking that the most important thing a gun could do for me is save my life and how rediculous it would be for me to be hurt or killed because I didn't keep one loaded.

The light on a gun is something I don't think I'd want. To me it's like telling the low life where I'm at in the dark and gives him a target. Now a very powerful spot light to blind the intruder is more to my liking and yet it also gives him a target if the light does not hit him in the eyes.

Don
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Matte finish 870 with a pretty plain wood stock ----

like Mr Murphy and a couple others here, i keep an AR15 "M4 style" carbine close at hand. The shotgun is largely used for shooting turtles on my pond ----

After many years spent with an M-16, my hands instinctively find all the necessary controls, even in the dark . Granted, the shotgun is not a complex machine either, but the AR won out for me for HD

Paladin's Saiga is seriously cool too though
----- Doug
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Getitdone, a Surefire light is very small, yet extremely blinding. Even the smallest Surefires are 2-3 times more powerful and more focused than a 4-D cell Maglite in about 1/8th the size. They only run for an hour, but most firefights last minutes. You 'blink and move' not turn on-leave-on.

No 'oh, there you are' with one of those. More of "I'M BLIND".

Having lit up people with handheld, rifle-mounted, shotgun-mounted and submachine-gun mounted Surefires at various times and places.....same reaction. <Insert long string of expletives in native language here> "I'M BLIND!!!!!!!!!!!"

I once also zapped myself along with my search partner in an exercise when we forgot about a mirror inside a very small bathroom. Two M4's, 2 Surefires and we were pretty well toast.

Partially a training issue, and we were using high powered lights indoors, it's something you work around. We normally worked in structures that had 200m indoor wide open spots and had lights set up accordingly.

A shotgun can be used in tight quarters, an AR slightly more so (collapsing stock) but if you're going to look for trouble on your own, you're asking to get ambushed. Too many angles to cover by yourself. I've done a structure assault with 12 guys and run out of guns (securing multiple rooms), even a four man team working through one or two rooms at a time can get interesting. We usually used two, and it's barely enough.

I don't have anything against a 12ga for home use, having done so for years, but an AR is by far a more comfortable platform in my hands, especially after nearly four years of carrying one 12-16 hours a day, every day. We never got enough range time, but searching structures, aircraft, vehicles and everything else anywhere from 1-20 times a day will get you practiced real quick, and that was after 15+ years of shooting one.

Be comfortable with whatever you choose and have a good light. If possible, a quick-adjust 2 point sling as well. Slings for long guns are like holsters for pistols. Handy at times. Slinging a rifle (combat sling, not over the shoulder) for me is automatic upon picking it up after years of doing so, generally running to, from or around a Humvee or truck.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Hobie wrote:Taken together, HD shotguns get the most hits on my blog, there must be a reason! :wink:
"The proof of the pudding is in the eating."
Proof once again, “one” shotgun can provide a lifetime of safety, protection,
and a full belly all in one package… 8)

And G... what, not one lever in the bunch :o :shock: :wink:
Gary
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gary »

getitdone1 wrote:The light on a gun is something I don't think I'd want. To me it's like telling the low life where I'm at in the dark and gives him a target. Now a very powerful spot light to blind the intruder is more to my liking and yet it also gives him a target if the light does not hit him in the eyes.
When I worked security, we were trained to hold a flashlight away from our body at arms length during a search. An armed bad guy will always shoot at the light.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

:shock: . :shock:

OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

Hobie wrote:Taken together, HD shotguns get the most hits on my blog, there must be a reason! :wink:

I currently use a Winchester 120 and an Ithaca 37. A friend has a cut-down Browning Auto-5 (over which I drool). I've personally stepped back from "mods" even though I used to have a side-saddle on the Winchester.
I'd love to get my hands on your 37, Hobie!

I have a USGI M37 from 1967, but it is not in the "riot" configuration, I wish it were set-up like yours.
Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
End the cycle of hatred, don't give them a tomorrow.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Though it "does not" qualify probably what most people feel is a Combat shotgun-------Something has to be said for the simple plain Jane single barreled shotgun.

One of those especially in the smaller lighter weight 20ga and cut down to 26.5" OAL makes for an excellent defensive weapon for a woman or whoever that is not as (gun handy)

It's simple---move the lever/put shell in/close and cock hammer----shoot.(it;s visible through out the whole sequence.

Sure it doesn't have as rapid follow up shots.
But they will work! (women in bedroom with one pointed at the door while calling 911 and if bad guy burst door open he takes 00 buck?

9 times out of 10 after the first shot----you either got em/or they are boggying on out.
I just like the simplistic function.In panic situation they seem to remember that type.
Other types often say a women in panic mode can't handle the other types.

Is it my favorite weapon for that(nope)
But have to say for carrying one in hand couple hrs a day in woods-----nothing is more carry friendly than my 12ga single Win 37 cocked open with shell in tube on the crook of my elbow(either 00 Buck or Brenekee 540gr slugs)I carry two of each.
It's safe/quick and it's balance and feel is second to none!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

It's better than no gun at all, but if you can drive a car, you can handle a belt-fed machine gun.

The car is actually more complex.

It's just a matter of training.

Gary, the old "FBI" technique has a few times it's viable (searching large fields, etc) but it's also not 1927 anymore... lights are a LOT brighter. Unless you're shooting at a guy searching with a light from 75 yards away.....if you're in range for him to zap you with the light, you're going to be severely distracted or temporarily blinded.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I would suggest a nice 'gentlemanly' double barrel side by side shotgun (faster to reload than an o/u) with ejectors.

I have a CZ sidelock which was given to me on my 21st birthday. Swings faster than an 18 year old nymphomaniac and is fast to reload. The bad guy also gets to look down two big menacing holes.

While fast handling and quick to reload it does not look like a 'murderers weapon'. improving your chances of escaping the Courts afterwards.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Lawyer Daggit wrote:I

While fast handling and quick to reload it does not look like a 'murderers weapon'. improving your chances of escaping the Courts afterwards.
you really think it matters?
----- Doug
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

[quote="Streetstar"]Image

Streetcar,
That plain stock seems to have a raised comb? Is this factory?
Is the extended magazine aftermarket or factory?
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

BC in TN wrote:
Streetstar wrote: [

Streetcar,
That plain stock seems to have a raised comb? Is this factory?
Is the extended magazine aftermarket or factory?

The stock is factory -- it is on there because of the rifle sights (its a smooth bore though) --- The extended magazine is aftermarket, but the dealer had it installed when i bought it -- the stock end cap and magazine spring were in a bag.
The dealer catered to law enforcement and he called this package the "patrol car special" --- i just liked it because it looked pretty no nonsense and low maintenance.

Load something like this down with 8 shells in the mag and 4 on the little side receiver holder and it starts to get heavy :lol:
----- Doug
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Mine is a Pioneer Arms 12ga coach gun just inside my closet door, backed up by a Browning Hi-Power in my nightstand. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Yodar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yodar »

Pisgah,

Where did you get the magazine extension for the Remington Model 11? Same as one for a Browning A5?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

madman4570 wrote:Though it "does not" qualify probably what most people feel is a Combat shotgun-------Something has to be said for the simple plain Jane single barreled shotgun.
I feel the same, only maybe favoring a double-barrel one. That's why I'm selling the Striker!

.Dirty-.Thirty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .Dirty-.Thirty »

Do you that have a shotgun prefer for a quick opening pattern to maximize your chances of hitting what you aim at or do you go for the tighest shooting pattern?
Marlin Owner....Henry Owner....Winchester Owner