Help A Dumby Out

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Help A Dumby Out

Post by HEAD0001 »

Guys when it comes to technology I consider myself as inept, or flat out ignorant. So hopefully a couple of you techies can help me out. PLEASE.

I want to try and do a little deer hunting this year. However I have to do all my hunting from my Kawasaki Mule. The areas that I hunt do not have alot of pressure. It could be a week or more before you would ever see another person.

It seems like some cell phones work in the area. And some do not.

I would like to have some feeling of safety or security that I would be able to call or somehow signal someone for help if I ever got into any trouble while I was in the woods.

For example. If my Kawasaki Mule didn't start I would be in a world of hurt if I was on the back side of the farm hunting deer. No one would know I was there.

I always try to let people know where I am going. And when. But that does not always work out. I try to keep my equipment in top operating condition so I don't have problems. However I am a bit worried about what might happen if I get stuck in an out of the way place.

So what do I need to buy in order to assure an ability to communicate with others. To this point in my life I have never owned a single cellular phone. So I know absolutely nothing about them.

Which one is the best for what I want to do?? What attributes do I want to look for?? Thanks, Tom.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Re: Help A Dumby Out

Post by Paladin »

Look up a "SPOT" on the search engine. I first used them in Afghaistan and how about everywhere.
http://www.findmespot.com/en/
It is not the critic who counts
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

Paladin thank you very much. That might be exactly what I am looking for. I have a Dunham's about 10 miles from my house that handles the system. I am going to contact them. Thanks again for that information. Tom.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

WOW! Something is to be learned almost EVERYDAY on this forum. Thanks Paladin! :mrgreen: 8)
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

SPOT is great for those who travel alone, but since another member of my hunting party is usually within a mile or two of me, we simply carry/use FSR 2-way radios, tucked into a pocket.

mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Jes being a smart alek...
What did hunters do before cell phones? Or before GPS or Kawasaki Mules? Can you tell I don't care for cell phones?
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Invite someone along. :D

the area in PA where i hunt is also pretty void of cell reception.

I always leave a note behind where I'm going to be in case I don't
check in when I said I would when I'm up there alone.

I started inviting friends along that don't hunt. Good friend of mine likes
to go and just hang out at the cabin and hide from the world for a few days.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Good friend of mine likes to go and just hang out at the cabin and hide from the world for a few days.

That would work for me, I could use a couple days away from voicemail, email, cells, Help Desk calls and other afflictions. And I'm a good cook too!

Seriously though, there's the FRS, Family Radio Service radios and the GMRS radios. GMRS ones won't receive better but several channels have higher power output.

A proposed location map and a radio check in schedule too.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

mikld wrote:Jes being a smart alek...
What did hunters do before cell phones? Or before GPS or Kawasaki Mules? Can you tell I don't care for cell phones?

I guess I would have to stay home. My wheelchair doesn't work so well in the woods. Tom.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I know that sat phones are very expensive. But there are places from which you can rent one. Might be something to think about.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

HEAD0001 wrote:
mikld wrote:Jes being a smart alek...

I guess I would have to stay home. My wheelchair doesn't work so well in the woods. Tom.
Most of us got it Tom. Good on ya for gettin out there. Deer season is over here in my part of CA. Wish I could get out there with ya. Good huntin.
ED
Yer never too old