Fountain of youth

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Fountain of youth

Post by madman4570 »

Guys,
Any of you especially those 50 and above on a active weight lifting regiment ?
Reason I ask is especially for men a weight program is absolutely essential.

Ok, why do I think this.Men lose muscle fiber extremely fast as the age increases beyond 50.
With it the body loses its support structure / the muscles that say hold your body basically together.

Example: I have been a avid lifter since age 16(not a body builder)but a strength enhancing lifter.
I have found that actually it beats running/biking and such because it is something that you can do "in your home" with extremely little time involved.Extremely cheap and the equipment never wears out.

Honest to God, I think it could be mans answer to the fountain of youth.(It increases drastically calories burned because it ups the metabolic rate for all 24hrs)
How much time needed daily(of actual workout)not rest time?? How bout 15mins 3 times a week.

The time it takes to drink a quick cup of coffee 3 times(you can be done)
Also it does some weird things to boost your libido so in that department its like your a 25 year old.

It really bothered me and got me thinking when 2 friends from where I worked stopped by last night.
One is 43 and the other is 41
They walked in my house and I was working out.they said how much is on that bench?
I said, just light rep weight(had 2 (45lb)Solex bumper plates on my 7ft Olympic bar which the bar itself with those special collars is 60lbs. So in total ---150lbs was on the bar.
Neither man could even do 1 rep??????? :o :shock:

They were red faced/breathing hard/and probably would have died if I didn't yank it off either one. :roll:
I said------ya know why you work out some??????
Laid down and said-------stop me at 30 reps-------then sat up not even breathing hard and said(that's why?)
And---I got 10 years on them!

I suggest to anyone that is remotely able to(start a weight program)it might just save your life?
I am no Doctor,but I know what results are? :wink:
Haven't been to a Doctor in 5 years and don't plan to ever ! (except shooting with Doc AJ) :D
Just my thoughts!
win7094M1
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Fountain of youth

Post by win7094M1 »

I ran up to 3 miles a day 4x a week during the past year to prepare for my Philmont Scout Ranch trek this past July. However, since getting back home from Philmont, I have ran exactly twice since mid-July.
I have been tempted to start weight training since the equipment is available at my workplace. How do you start safely? I have a rotator cuff repair that I must be mindful of. And yes, I am a few over the half century mark.
Kudos to the OP for maintaining his fitness level over many years. Just imagine how healthier and happier people would be for more of their lives if they followed his example!
Winchester M94 30-30 (1980)
Winchester M70 Westerner 30-06 (1982)
Winchester M1 Garand (1942)
Too many others to list - hope to add more levers soon.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Madman You are absolutely right. after years off I started hitting the weights when I was 52. in eight weeks I could bench 210#,and work and Life got alot easier. I got on the bike and was rideing 5-8 miles a day and the 30year olds at work could hardly keep up with Me. back injuries halted My training and personal issues have gottin in the way. but My goal this winter is to start and train through the bad weather that will surley come.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

You are absolutely right, and I really need to get started. But at this point, I'd settle for the Fountain of Middle Age! :lol:

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Madman, I actually have been considering getting some weights into the basement and starting on this. Been shopping around. Have to admit I don't enjoy pushing weight. Never have but I know it gets results and I'm ready for the results. Can you shoot me a pm with some suggestions on minimum equipment to get in (yeah i know I need weights and a bench) but suggestions would be good. I live literally 5 mins from the york barbell company, the ones that make york weight equipment. thanks
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

I quit using weights about 1975. What I have used since then is:

Ed Parker's Kenpo Karate system. I run through the whole sysem in about a month. Start at yellow belt & continue through 3rd BB. Techniques, forms, multiple attacks, basics, etc.

JuFuDo Kenpo Combat system: GM Wakeling is a close friend & I supliment the Parker system with his. I can still do 180 degree side splits due to his particular form of torture.

Matt Fury's body weight conditioning system. He uses The Royal Indian Court system which uses body weight conditioning for the Indian royal court guards & sf's.

In the past I used the US Air Forces system which I sound superior to the Navy SF's system.

The detraction for me with weights is the isolation of muscle groups & the danger or injury. Every one of my friends who pushes iron has had a serious injury due to mis-application of technique in lifting weights. Rotator cuff surgeries for several.

For me it is flexibility: stretches, releases & so on to balance the strength training.

I have an old friend who is 69 yrs. old. He is an original UDT/Navy Seal. Served two tours in 'Nam: 1960 & 1964. He runs 5 miles per day with his dogs over the desert west of Fallon, Nv. He then rides his bike to Lahontan Reservoir (about 7 miles one way) & swims 1.5 miles one way to an island located in the holding lake north of the dam & back. Now, he has invited me to do the same....says he's lonely. :shock:

Holy cow! Even though I can still swim like a fish this is quite a challenge...maybe I ought to man-up & give it a try. What do the pards think?

Choose your poison pards...but get up & do something instead of being a couch potato. When technique runs out, strength & conditioning finishes up. You'll be sore & achy for days, but that will go away if you will to do it. :idea:

LB
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Health nuts die just as dead as couch potatos.

It may take 'em a little while longer to rot, but it'll happen.

:wink: :mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Weidner...it's not about the quanity of life...it's about the quality of life. Health nuts die later on average & that can make a huge difference to your loved ones...who might happen to like having you around a little longer pard, despite the vingear in your soul.

It's no concern of mine if you want to be fat & slovenly...it's your choice. But...if you wind up with diabetes or heart disease & lose your leg, don't whine & cry about the loss when it could have been prevented. When you're on oxygen 24 hrs. a day due to emphazima, because you smoke, don't come here & whine about how you can't go hunting anymore or go too far from your Oxy bottle. Go ahead & learn how to work that wheelchair...no skin off my nose. However, I ain't paying for it, YOU pay for it.

I can hear it all now... "A prayer request pards"...I just had surgery & lost my left lung due to cancer. Pray for me will 'ya? "I lost my right foot due to diabetes & can't walk to my stand anymore"...pray for me. In you're case it just might take something like that.

We rot at about the same rate. The difference is where you're going to spend eternity. You already know what the deal is & how to take care of that.

How your spend the time G-D gives you here is your 'bidness. You can spend it however you want pard. In health or in sickness...your choice. I'll spend mine in good health & fitness and at the end I'll go to Jesus & let that old tabernacle rot. I'll have a new one & I won't care.

LeverBob
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

LeverBob wrote:Weidner... vingear in your soul... fat & slovenly...diabetes or heart disease & lose your leg...whine & cry...on oxygen 24 hrs. a day due to emphazima, because you smoke...come here & whine...can't go hunting anymore... learn how to work that wheelchair... I just had surgery & lost my left lung due to cancer... I lost my right foot due to diabetes & can't walk to my stand anymore...

LeverBob
Pretty much describes me to a 'T'. It's like you took a picture or had me followed.

Fat, diseased, and bitter, expectin' all the healthly folk to pay my way and pray for me.

(... and Heck, I'm not even a federal retiree.)

:lol: :lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

There are scientists today who are researching the causes of ageing. See Gerontology article at Wikipedia. We now have so many things that have been made possible through scientific knowledge I think it's reasonable to say that a much extended and healthy life span for humans will eventually be a reality.

No doubt about it. Excercise is extremely important for good health. There was a period in my life when I spent many hours each day sitting at a desk. My ankles swelled-up and I had intestinal problems. Once I began exercising each day these problems went away.

I know a big cause for not being able to do what we used to is simply because we are not exercising like we used to. It takes determination and effort and often a love for one or more activities.

I think it's very true: "Life is action." Too, I believe the happiest people have one or more strong interests. I have said, "I am rich with interests." It's true. Guns are one of those interests.

Don
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

You're also a brutally honest man........get up off your haunches Pard & accept Jesus like a man. You have a place already prepared in Heaven that only you can fill. A seat only you can sit in, with your name on it. No one in a history can sit in the chair Jesus has designated for you, with your name on it. So, quit whining & get on with it. The Kingdom of G-D is not complete without you. I'm frankly tired of waiting....

Stand up & enter into eternity like the levergunner you are. A patriot, Levergunner, hunter, father, woodsman...it's time to add Man of G-D to your titles.

Change your ways. :wink: It's time to get saved...all by yourself...late at night & alone. Meet him face to face & accept what you are (just like all of us on this site). Stay in the light...you've already accepted what you are.

The Holy Spirit told me those things....it wasn't a picture. All to testify so that you might accept HIM & come into your own in HIM. Get on with it & report back.

I'll be waiting....

LB
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

LeverBob wrote:You're also a brutally honest man........get up off your haunches Pard & accept Jesus like a man. You have a place already prepared in Heaven that only you can fill. A seat only you can sit in, with your name on it. No one in a history can sit in the chair Jesus has designated for you, with your name on it. So, quit whining & get on with it. The Kingdom of G-D is not complete without you. I'm frankly tired of waiting....

Stand up & enter into eternity like the levergunner you are. A patriot, Levergunner, hunter, father, woodsman...it's time to add Man of G-D to your titles.

Change your ways. :wink: It's time to get saved...all by yourself...late at night & alone. Meet him face to face & accept what you are (just like all of us on this site). Stay in the light...you've already accepted what you are.

The Holy Spirit told me those things....it wasn't a picture. All to testify so that you might accept HIM & come into your own in HIM. Get on with it & report back.

I'll be waiting....

LB
You're a good man, Bob.

Little preachy, but OK by me.

:wink:

LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Same to you...but, that is what I am...a Preacher. :wink:

Like your posts Pard. Look forward to them.

G-D bless you & yours...

LB
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

LeverBob wrote:I quit using weights about 1975. What I have used since then is:

Ed Parker's Kenpo Karate system. I run through the whole sysem in about a month. Start at yellow belt & continue through 3rd BB. Techniques, forms, multiple attacks, basics, etc.

JuFuDo Kenpo Combat system: GM Wakeling is a close friend & I supliment the Parker system with his. I can still do 180 degree side splits due to his particular form of torture.

Matt Fury's body weight conditioning system. He uses The Royal Indian Court system which uses body weight conditioning for the Indian royal court guards & sf's.

In the past I used the US Air Forces system which I sound superior to the Navy SF's system.

The detraction for me with weights is the isolation of muscle groups & the danger or injury. Every one of my friends who pushes iron has had a serious injury due to mis-application of technique in lifting weights. Rotator cuff surgeries for several.

For me it is flexibility: stretches, releases & so on to balance the strength training.

I have an old friend who is 69 yrs. old. He is an original UDT/Navy Seal. Served two tours in 'Nam: 1960 & 1964. He runs 5 miles per day with his dogs over the desert west of Fallon, Nv. He then rides his bike to Lahontan Reservoir (about 7 miles one way) & swims 1.5 miles one way to an island located in the holding lake north of the dam & back. Now, he has invited me to do the same....says he's lonely. :shock:

Holy cow! Even though I can still swim like a fish this is quite a challenge...maybe I ought to man-up & give it a try. What do the pards think?

Choose your poison pards...but get up & do something instead of being a couch potato. When technique runs out, strength & conditioning finishes up. You'll be sore & achy for days, but that will go away if you will to do it. :idea:

LB

LeverBob,

Wow, are you saying in a month you went through all those degree of belts?

Anyhow,that sounds like some good stuff your doing cause it's working good for you guy.(well done)
Truth about weight training is the weights don't cause the injury its when people push it to extremes.(like anything else)
Don't get me wrong,the martial arts thing is a very good thing also (I studied from Hidy Ochiai himself in Vestal,NY and receiving a BB from his school is extremely hard(took almost 6 years)anyhow--------back to the weight thing---------

The key thing these days,its all about time and about being able to do this training at anytime night/day and at home(inside during any weather condition)

People get to wrapped up in the (I have to lift a ton thing or I am a whimp)thinking.
A new person starting out should start out say with just the bar(an Olympic 7ft weighs 55-60lbs)some vary depending on collars etc.
All that is needed is 4 different exercises(period).And of these 4 all can be done the same day.(I don't believe the stuff about don't bench and then later curl thing)possibly a body builder does that because of the vast amount of breakdown he is doing????
A person only needs when weight training to work the LARGE CORE muscles. By doing this (1) you save vast amount of time
(2)that precious time you did just spend benefit the total body the most in the most effective manner.
It's--------

Bench press========Squat=============Preacher Curl===============Seated Leg Extension

That's it period! and in the above order with there being minimal idle time.

Here's how-------lets say a new guy to weights(never lifted) Before going down to weight room---does 5 slow(girl pushups)
Why girl pushups and so few(I only want him to tell the muscles from his brain(alright get ready,somethings coming)then starts--
Bench press(bare bar)1st set 8-10 reps (takes 40 seconds) rests 30 seconds grabs (2) 20 lb dumbells and does 8-10 back straight half squats(takes 40 seconds) rests 30 seconds then goes to preacher bench and does 8-10 reps of 30lbs on E-Z Curl Bar(takes 40 seconds) rests for 30 seconds goes to Seated Leg Extension and does 8-10 reps of 50lbs(takes 40 seconds)
By doing it this way you are already with no more rest ready to start the 2nd set now----------same as above-------------------
Then 3rd set after================If you can or want====add another set or two?
Guess what by the not resting much thing you have kept your Heart rate elevated also and are getting a added benefit in that direction as well.

Of course after a person builds up the rep count also they can increase the reps or stay the same number of reps but with increased weight increase instead.(more reps=toning, more weight=added muscle mass)

Myself, I spend only about 30 mins usually three times a week doing the actual lifting part and 5 extra mins prior for light warmup(for the bench press) I do a mans pushup halfway down hold it for 1 min.(2 times)then start workout.
So I spend less than 2hrs a week with weights.In my own home. With no cost after initial cost.
If a person really shops around can get 300lb Olympic Set/something like a Weider Core 600 bench/E-Z Curl Bar/2 Dumbell handles
for around as low as =======$450

But this is only my opinion and don't just go by what I say-----talk to a Doc/Physical Therapist etc.first?

win7094m1 and Mike will send you a pm
.45colt----good luck dude!

What I have found (experiment) is that when I quit the weights and only rode bike(125miles@week)mountain bike on road my body started to go south. My BP stayed about same but my muscle structure started shrinking and I became weaker.
Also A biggy----------Weight training for OLDER people keeps their bone density evaluated to where it slows bone weakening.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Guys,
Let me be clear you don't have to spend any $450 either.
A $50 bench from Walmart combined with a $39 vinyl weight set from there will work also.
The squat thing if that bothers the back then would rather see Bench press and some curls.
If you don't want to get a preacher bench/curl bar just stand with back straight(against a wall)and just use your bar alone or with some small weights on it. For legs also you can also just sit on bench with feet flat on the floor and just start slowly pushing up with your legs as to stand halfway up/hold it (30seconds)and back down.

Those older persons having balance issues one of the best exercises is to put a second pair of gym shorts over whatever you initially have on and slowly while being close to a support item(wall etc.)take them on/off while keeping back as straight as possible.
Also with eyes closed(again with one hand just barely touching say a wall)stand 1 minute without moving one muscle and focus as deep as possible while taking slow deep breaths(when this becomes to easy try it with one foot raised)
Again always have something within reach to aid if needed for balance control.
You will be amazed how much this improves your life and it can be done on the cost of a few 20rd boxes of ammo and will last a lifetime.
The key----no matter how small to start-------is to start.
By Thanksgiving your gains will be huge. (It's all about the first second of the first day to actually change your life) :wink:

Oh----and by the way because of that 2hr @ week lifting routine(I have to consume about 3500-4000 calories a day(not to lose weight) :wink:

On the bike had to spend EIGHT hrs a week for the same result :idea: while trying not to get killed by someone operating a car/truck.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

God. Just seeing if the auto censor does anything to the word. OK, I just read it and God comes through OK. I was just wondering why anyone would write G_D when talking about our faith and salvation. In the last year I've been through 4 surgerys and 30+ treatments (and 25 more to come) for cancer. I'm not afraid nor ashamed to say God, my heavenly father, is my strength and He got me through it all.

And to keep this post on subject, I've lost 50 lbs due to radiation treatments (a lot of muscle, too) and will start on my "back in shape" regimen soon (I'm 65 in Dec.). Tai Chi and walking to get my balance/ tone back and then weight training to regain my strength. Spring's coming as are thoughts of Kayaking and climbing Humbug Mountain...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

mikld wrote:God. Just seeing if the auto censor does anything to the word. OK, I just read it and God comes through OK. I was just wondering why anyone would write G_D when talking about our faith and salvation. In the last year I've been through 4 surgerys and 30+ treatments (and 25 more to come) for cancer. I'm not afraid nor ashamed to say God, my heavenly father, is my strength and He got me through it all.

And to keep this post on subject, I've lost 50 lbs due to radiation treatments (a lot of muscle, too) and will start on my "back in shape" regimen soon (I'm 65 in Dec.). Tai Chi and walking to get my balance/ tone back and then weight training to regain my strength. Spring's coming as are thoughts of Kayaking and climbing Humbug Mountain...

Prayers up for you to be of total health and happiness.
GOD BLESS
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

mikld wrote:God. Just seeing if the auto censor does anything to the word. OK, I just read it and God comes through OK. I was just wondering why anyone would write G_D when talking about our faith and salvation. In the last year I've been through 4 surgerys and 30+ treatments (and 25 more to come) for cancer. I'm not afraid nor ashamed to say God, my heavenly father, is my strength and He got me through it all.

Your faith.

:idea:

LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

What's yours FW?

LB
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Similar, but I try not to throw the Lord's name around like it's some king of playing card.

:|

765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

I've never had to pay to exercise.
Luckily I've always had a job. :D
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

FWiedner wrote:Similar, but I try not to throw the Lord's name around like it's some king of playing card.

:|
Understood....

LB
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

madman4570 wrote:Guys,
Any of you especially those 50 and above on a active weight lifting regiment ?
Reason I ask is especially for men a weight program is absolutely essential.
I couldn't agree more!

After 21 years of weight training, now at age 52 I am stronger than anytime before in my life. Right before I left for my Wyoming antelope hunt I hit 3 PR's in the weight room over the course of 2 weeks, a 405lb Front Squat, a 515lb deadlift and a 410lb close grip bench press (a normal wide grip bothers my shoulder) at 226lbs and about 5'11".

I have 'preached' for years that weight training was the fountain of youth and had the opportunity to teach weight training to HS and College students for about 10 years.

Other than just plain feeling good all the time and having the feeling nothing can withstand me :mrgreen: even at 52 years of age I can still pack out 4 quarters of a bull elk on a packboard. I love hunting and shooting so much I just couldn't bear the thought of not being able to go afield anytime I wished and go for as far as I wished carrying as much as I wished. I love to shoot....and shoot.....and SHOOT, but I love to get back into the high back country and pack out my kill on my packboard. If I hadn't taken up lifting, while I am not going to say it would be impossible, at my age it would be MUCH more difficult.

And before I forget, my lifting partner is 55 years old and can strictly military 300lbs overhead and deadlift well over 500lbs.

Age is just a number.... :wink:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Very respectable 2x22 :D Awesome!
I know I tend to rant on and on about things sometimes :oops:
But when there is something out there that really helps people to such of an effect(I feel compelled to share this)

In my own mind I really feel that there is a link between (weight training)and the prevention of some over heart exertion issues?
especially,I think this grows greatly to the good as we head toward our golden years.(50 on up)
There are sometimes when someone does something that probably wasn't a good idea(let's say helping the BIL carry a big double
refrigerator up from the cellar and really your carrying it and he's more just guiding it etc.(that bursting trauma effect on a body)
I think that is just a another example in which this type training holds an advantage over say riding a bike 100miles a week on a road etc. (conditioning heart muscle itself for exertion burst energy requirements.(not saying anything is a 100% absolute)but I think there is a link?
Example: would be "if I had to bet money" on either the biker or the weight cycle trainer doing heavy snow shoveling until one had either complete exhaustion(or heart attack) my money would be on the weight trainer winning.
Any of you guys remember back few years ago when they had Lance Armstrong go some rounds trying to spar boxing.(and the other guy really I don't think even hardly hit him)
After 1 or 2 rounds he was pretty exhausted(wasted) because upper body was called on a totally different requirement.
I am not saying the weight trainer wouldn't be sucking air also---just saying both would and probably the WT would be hitting harder providing they both had same skills in that department.
Remember back in 1981 here I am this young punk just received my Brown Belt in Karate and Hidy Ochiai said to me after watching me finally being able to do 100 pushups (I busted my butt on this)he said----now you see the respect of yourself-------so we now go here--------he with his hands tucked back and against his belt in pushup position(with his feet NOT touching the ground but his whole body being elevated from the ground except his hands cranked out 100 pushups THAT WAY and said to me-----now we go here? In reality (besides being supernatural)this was a form of weight training/conditioning and I never forgot that.

Can only say what's its done for me and mine(and friends) just wish more people just gave it 1 month of their time.
Not only does it do wonderful things for the body, but I think there is something with an older male gaining some hormone/mental benefits .
(kinda like that feeling difference when your packing and when your not) :lol: :D Just kidding--- :?: :D
People need to understand WT done correctly can be of great aerobic benefit.
At least in my case(BMI/Blood Pressure/and even Heart Rate)were as good(actually BMI was better)with WT than Biking.
So, Now it's WT and Hiking!
Last edited by madman4570 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

For overall health don't forget about Crossfit training and also the Tabata Protocol. My wife, also over 50 just doesn't have enough time in the day for weight training anymore even though she handles record weights. She now trains primarily with the Tabata Protocol and she is able to get it in 3X per week in less than 9 minutes, before she heads out to work.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

2x22

Just did 9 mins of clean and press routines using that Tabata Protocol.
OMG------my arms and whole body feels numb.Heart beating like stuff.
And I was only using 125lbs :lol:
It's a rush------this is getting added in 3X a week.
Thanks for the heads up. Its a keeper. (will have wife add it in too)
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Madman,

Thanks for starting this post. I have been telling myself to get the weights out and get back on them. In my previous work as a carpenter, framing houses, I was paid to work out, all day long. Since things went south and I have had to work for myself, my work is sporadic and usually the smaller projects I do now are less physically demanding. I have been noticing the lack of stamina and loss of muscle lately and to tell you the truth, it scares me. I am 46 and don't want to be one of those guys that huff and puff just walking from the truck to the house. I REALLY don't want to not be able to drag a deer out either, or even get into the woods to hunt.

I am going to get a new bench and dust off the weights, starting this week. Thanks for the push.

Kevin
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

That is a lot of work, Madman!

My lifting partner and also my wife both prefer to use Kettlebells for most of their tabata work. It is amazing what one can do with a kettlebell and some ingenuity. My wife likes about 4 stations, kettlebell squat to press, one and two hand swings, cleans, snatches and then also add things like crunches, ab roller work, stair stepper, etc. She will be panting and puffing when its over, sweat pouring.

We tested her strength in the weight room after about a year of tabata only work. While her overall strength showed it was down, it was obvious it wasn't since she was out of the groove and awkward. If she had time to spend a few weeks reorienting herself to the lifts I believe her strength would have either been comparable or increased slightly.

2x22
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Kevin,
Good man, and I bet you do very well at it.
Would love to hear your progress friend!

2x22,
See how this forum works, I start thinking (yup, I am telling some people something I think will help them, but I end up getting much more good info back helping me :lol: :) I love it.
This is I have to believe the best Forum out there. :wink:
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

madman4570 wrote: This is I have to believe the best Forum out there.
No doubt, one of the very best!

2x22
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

madman4570 wrote:Kevin,

2x22,
See how this forum works, I start thinking (yup, I am telling some people something I think will help them, but I end up getting much more good info back helping me :lol: :) I love it.
Again...I couldn't agree more and if you earned your Shodan, then you will forever be know as Sensei Madman by me anyway. Just like Sensai Salvo. If so, congrats brother... 8) :wink:

Prof. R. Pearson 6th Dan AKA "LeverBob
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

LeverBob wrote:
madman4570 wrote:Kevin,

2x22,
Again...I couldn't agree more and if you earned your Shodan, then you will forever be know as Sensei Madman by me anyway. Just like Sensai Salvo. If so, congrats brother... 8) :wink:

Prof. R. Pearson 6th Dan AKA "LeverBob

I am honored! :wink:
God Bless
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Moderation Gents!
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Madman, have you performed any more Tabatas? Thinking of making them a part of your lifting regiment?

Just curious, as my wife does them 3X per week, my lifting partner does the same after we lift.

2x22
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Wow.....Just, Wow.....

With a perpetually bad back, I have to be careful lifting anything. Even walking a little bit brings about pain. But, I can row the drift boat a half day or more, and using the bicycle is comfortable and fun. I think I'll add a rowing machine for this winter. Yes, I'm one of the slugs that is out of breath, overweight, and has diabetes :oops: :oops: I don't know why I'm so lazy about losing weight :oops: :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I agree that excersize is a great aid to health.

I had a weight set and bench and would use it from time to time - some times for several weeks in a row.

It was on the back porch and the wife hated it. Just hated it sitting there - we have to move in order to make our move to Mississippi and she sold it and the weights at a garage sale... now, not so bad as the weight bar was getting old and rusty... but the weights were fine... and the bench wasn't bad...

After we get moved, I'll probably get another set-up. I have trouble with a "regimine" - doing it consistently but I think part of my problem was thinking that I had to constantly increase weight and reps, etc. - push myself.

I have no problem benching 150 pounds - more like 200. But I'm sure I couldn't do 30 reps...

Next time, I'm just going to set a goal for a reasonable level and then just maintain that.

I would also really like to get an endless pool. I was a competitive swimmer from age 8 to 18.

Swimming is the absolute best exersize IMHO - everything gets used and not too hard on the joints.

$10K though.... lot of money for an "extra" thing. So the weights will be first ;)

I have given thought to making my own endless pool too... after all, its just a water jet...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I'm a big believer in weight training. I'm also a big believer in weight training away from home. Oh, it seems like a good idea to be able to workout whenever you want, but what happens is it becomes easy to not even see the equipment anymore. I see it happen to 99.99999% of people. Until one is a 'hardcore' lifter they need to lift away from home if possible. That sets up a regiment that is the most important part of weight training, SHOWING UP! If a feller knows that at 4 pm on monday wednesday and friday they are supposed to be somewhere to lift (I used to lift at a local high school) AND hopefully meet a partner that is waiting for them, they will have keep going. But when left to our own weaknesses, less than .01% continue on their own.

In my own case my partner and I turned 1/2 his garage into a nice little weight room. Only 12'x18' to lift in, we still have a squat and chin rack, DL station, bench station, dip station, 5 bars and 6,000lbs of weights (a local high school were nearly giving the weights away!). I know when my partner gets home from work at 4 pm he will be ready to lift at 4:10. By the time he is out to his garage I have the lights and music on and if it is in the winter, the heater going. Anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes later the weight room is cleaned up and I am heading home.

My lifting partner has lifted over 40 years, I've lifted for about 22 years. He is the first to admit that if I weren't there he wouldn't lift now that the weights are at his home. Knowing that I will be there no matter what is what keeps him on track. And since I know that he is going to be waiting for me to keep him going so I'll be dadblasted if I'm going to miss showing up. I lifted alone for about 8 years without ever missing a workout but believe me, with a partner that you are responsible to, it is much tougher to find a reason not to go.

Blaine, I have a bad back too. Fractured at L4-L5 from a boyhood prank. It was a chiropractor and a surgeon that showed me how important it was to get strong and stay strong even though there would be setbacks. That was 22 years ago and I am so thankful everyday that I listened. ALL of my family are obese, all have frighteningly high cholesterol and are diabetic with other illnesses now too. I attribute my very good blood results and overall health completely to weight training. And since I have helped folks in their 60's and 70's get started weight training and have seen the results I for one know that it is NEVER too late!

2x22
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Good point about the partner/expectations - I think that is totally true!

I think I will have to enlist my wife... maybe I can get her into some kind of short female type regimen with me...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

O.S.O.K, for something like you are thinking about, look into the Tabata Protocol. Also look into Kettlebell training ala 'DragonDoor' http://www.dragondoor.com/ Combining the two is fantastic too. I've been trained in Kettlebell work by a certified dragondoor trainer, a female chiropractor whose level of fitness with KB's is to be seen to be believed. When I was worn completely out, she hadn't even broke a sweat yet and had only warmed up enough to start the main part of her own training. That is not hyperbole! And she got into it due to a bad low back.

But we should never ever ever put weight training on the back burner. It should be #1 followed by anything and everything else. Basic muscle building is something that we all HAVE to do right up to death as after we turn about 30 or so we start losing muscle every year, quite a lot of muscle which is replaced by much more fat and that becomes a viscious cycle that is difficult to get out of. And that process accelerates as we age. Build muscle and you build bone density, something overlooked by nearly EVERYONE. Along with bone density you also strengthen the tendons at the muscle attachment along with at the bone attachment. I'm not certain whether it has been decided if the ligaments become stronger, though I suspect they do. ALL women should be under the bar as they are more prone to osteoporosis than men.

2x22
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

38 reps with 202lbs(last week 36 reps)I actually am surprised in myself it going this fast.(am eating 3 16oz cans of chick peas daily to help,covered with Hot sauce.)
I WILL meet my 40 reps and soon.

That is where I will (be very happy)with myself. (for this goal)
Then to just maintain that.(I again will be very happy)

Then I can go back to a more even workout.
Also I have an issue about being satisfied.(if I keep pushing it beyond that much can see it very possible of injury)

Now, my goal while keeping the 40rep 202lb deal ???(something to keep me with some type goal)
Preacher bench workouts of 10reps with 200lbs :D :wink:

Gotta do something!
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Wow, that is HUGE! I bet the lactic acid was building up around 30 reps :mrgreen:

Congrat!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

It's not great but for an older fella not too bad.
Rep 38 was pushing pretty good,the old ear drum was throbbing in sink with the heart beat for about 15mins afterward. :lol:

I think this must have something(hung up on this venue)due to middle age crisis.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Presently stuck at 38 reps.
I think it's because I repainted my plates(all that extra weight in paint)
Ya, that's it :lol:
40 or bust (a gut) :roll:
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Well don't bust a gut! Just get it :lol: :lol:

I did a bit of high rep stuff my ownself yesterday. Worked up to 240x20 then up to 365x 3 sets of 3, a paused rep at 375 and then went back down to 225 and could only get 28 reps. :cry:

Yep, I was thinking about your 38 reps.............. :shock: :mrgreen:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

:shock: :mrgreen:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Well, FWIW, I got my Rowing Machine last night, so I'll be trying to do a little catch up with you guys.....

The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

BlaineG wrote:Well, FWIW, I got my Rowing Machine last night, so I'll be trying to do a little catch up with you guys.....

Sweet! :mrgreen: That is one sharp unit,keep us posted! That will work you good!

2X22,
That's some numbers to be darn proud of! :wink:
No doubt in my mind, with numbers like that if you really wanted that same 40 rep deal with the 202lbs.(I betting you can) :mrgreen:
Don't you love it, as we get older it just makes it so much more (cool) :lol:
Wife says I'm like a fine old wine(only with a few jiggers of 101 Wild Turkey dumped in) :lol: :oops:
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Thanks, Madman! Not sure if I could get the 40 reps, that is a lot of reps that I would have to prepare for. But at least I reckon I could come close.

It is great to see the young bucks watch me and my partner lift. When we come in we are dismissed without a second glance. Until the plates start stacking up on the bar that is! :lol: :lol:

Age is just a number. And MY number is 450........my goal in the close grip bench press that is!

2x22
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Well done Blaine !!!! keep us informed.

as for you pro lifters, well done.
Mike Johnson,

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

2X22 wrote:Thanks, Madman! Not sure if I could get the 40 reps, that is a lot of reps that I would have to prepare for. But at least I reckon I could come close.

It is great to see the young bucks watch me and my partner lift. When we come in we are dismissed without a second glance. Until the plates start stacking up on the bar that is! :lol: :lol:

Age is just a number. And MY number is 450........my goal in the close grip bench press that is!

2x22

Dude,

450 and a close grip at that--- :shock:

Huge Dude, Huge! :mrgreen:

I line up,palms placed with their outer edges at 38" apart.