Back from the hunt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Back from the hunt

Post by Mike D. »

With negative result for me, and not much to show compared to last year. My lack of ability to score was entirely my fault. I did not want to shoot just another fork or 3X3, so elected to pass on those opportunities. We already have a freezer with plenty deer and elk meat, so a big 4X4 or larger was my only intent. Sorry, but my camera battery went on the fritz only a couple of days into the trip, so there isn't anything great to show. Too many times looking at vids really wiped out the battery, which was unexpected. :(

The scenery in Mill Creek canyon was spectacular, as usual, and the bucks were plentiful enough but VERY difficult to approach. We made 3 attempts to stalk one big 4X5 and absolutely failed on each. No closer than 450 yds, especially with several pairs of doe eyes keeping watch. They busted us dropping off the canyon rim, even at a spot that we thought was out of their line of sight. Here's my rifle perched near the edge in the early morning. Most of our time was spent behind binoculars staring down and scanning the coulees for deer. :| Image

My huntin' buddy, Travis, who is a youngster at 33, did score a nice 3X4 after a fast stalk late on Wednesday evening. We spotted the buck and another 2X3 sparring on a hillside a thousand yards away. Travis took off at a trot and I watched him as he made his way down behind a hill and away from the bucks position. He laid down and BAWOOM, followed by the sound of the bullet from his 270 WSM smacking the buck. It staggered away rather wobbly, but he hit it again because he didn't want to have to go any further down into the canyon. The buck collapsed and he went to work on it. 15 minutes later, right at sunset, he had it cut in half. I was headed down but he waived me off, something that was a bit of a relief to my tired old mind. He had to leapfrog the front and hind end out and didn't reach the truck until way after dark. Back at camp we skinned the halves, cut off the horns, and tossed the rest. Since Travis has sick 2 and 4 yr old kids he left for home at 9PM. It's a minimum 1 3/4 hr trip out to the headquarters, all of it in 4 wheel drive, than another 30 miles to home for for him. I had already been down in that canyon once that day and was pretty tired, but he made the trip safely. 8)

One "funny" event we had was one of my cousins opening the outhouse door and finding Mr No Shoulders guarding the premises. The little bugger was rattling away and wanted no part of the invasion of his napping spot. I put the snake in a 5 gallon bucket, took it for a walk, and dumped it away from the camp.Image

One reason for the lack of success was that the season was scheduled a week earlier than in the past. The temps were in the mid 80s and no cooler than 42º in the morning. The season ended on Sunday 30 Oct, but I departed Saturday at noon. So far as I am aware only 7 bucks were taken in our area, with most being small forks and 2X3s. The "meat hunters" filled their tags with the first bucks they saw, but we "horn hunters" held off. On the way out we spotted 2 legal bucks, one a decent forkie that ran down the road in front of my truck.

I had better mention that I took one shot at a nice buck that was standing broadside at 300 yds. The shot was taken with the little 7mm Mauser that 86er sent out to me and I missed clean, shooting over his back. It was downhill at a 21 degree angle, so I figured that the bullet would have a little drop and put the crosshairs right on the top of his back at the shoulders. Sadly, I did not have a chance to test fire the rifle before hunting, so the miss was on me. The buck was a fork, but what a fork he was. The spread was 24" plus and the bases were thick. The bad thing is that I watched that buck for over an hour and had him dead to rights at 120 yds, but couldn't decide to take him. Travis came over and asked me why I didn't shoot and all that came to mind was me not wanting to shoot "just a fork". That 'ol buck is still out there and will maybe be around next year. He will always be nothing but a 2X2, but a very nice one at that. :oops:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Back from the hunt

Post by 86er »

Mike - that sounds like a great hunt and one that is easy to clean up after!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

86er wrote:Mike - that sounds like a great hunt and one that is easy to clean up after!
+1, and that spectacular scenery must make it all worth while :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Very nice report, I'm sure you enjoyed it all even if you didn't get anything to hang on the wall. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Sounds like a great hunt, Mike. Interesting country there. That was good you treated the nice snake with kindness and respect. I'd probably do the same but have to keep quiet about it because so many of my friends and relatives have some sort of kill phobia where those are concerned.

And I am truly delighted to hear there are still mule deer remaining, not that far away from Oregon. Maybe they will repopulate from there if these die out totally. Oh I know things aren't really that bad, but in my favorite (formerly favorite?) area we are down to about 20% of where we were just a couple of years ago, and we were thinking we were at a low ebb in deer numbers then.

And while you were off hunting, Mike, I made a tactical error and asked for help identifying a front sight on a rifle I had acquired. Nobody came through for me! Now how often does that happen on "Leverguns"? I'm betting you will know what I have here: I'll dredge up the post (or maybe do a new post with better pictures) and try again now you're back "in the World". Welcome back!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Neat pics Mike. I kinda was hoping to see an '86 somewhere leaning against a tree.

Snake in the s**thouse?!! That would have made me jump out of my Redwings. Anymore, in the wilderness, I just prefer to drop drawers in the grass, bypassing the outhouse. Too many things lurking in there. A buddy told me how a rat "got a hold" of his buddies privates and he dang near bled to death.

80 degrees. Yea, kinda hard to get in the mood of huntin', but I still see you saw some nice scenery and a few animals and I bet you slept well.-------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

a rat "got a hold" of his buddies privates
Oh, that'll make for a good visual to go to sleep with tonight :lol: :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I took my own large Coleman dome type tent and Cabelas cot with inflatable mattress. Excellent sleeping and guaranteed wakeup at 0515 by numerous screech owls calling to each other. We have an old bunkhouse that we have our meals and plan the day's hunt in.
I did have a 1886 .45-90 with me, but never removed it from the under seat box. In fact, it's still there. I finally washed the PU and scrubbed all the blood and hair from the back. There was even blood on the side windows and down the side of the bed. :|

On the last evening I hunted I did see a HUGE set of antlers coming up the trail toward me at maybe 75 yds. I was tucked in behind a big lava rock with my 700 .30-06 sitting in the ready position. Darned if the buck didn't turn and mosey into the ceonothus before his head ever came into view. I stayed locked in for a half hour and the buck never showed again. My young cousin saw him across the draw the next AM, but he vanished when the vehicle stopped. 5X5 was his report. I was sick at my stomach not getting a poke at him, but that's hunting. :shock: :(

The site where I took a shot at the big fork buck was right where I sat to take this photo. The buck was way down on a side hill to the left of my boot. Picture 300 yds if you will, out there among the dwarf blue oaks and ceonothus. Both are favorite browse, but no acorns this year.Image

Sunset and supper cooking time. No water available in the area, so we all pack our share, usually 15-20 gallons each. There are 14 who regularly dine together and each of us is responsible for a evening meal. My supper was elk chili/stew, green salad, garlic bread and apple dump cobbler done in a dutch oven. Very simple, all 'ya gotta do is pour the contents of a large can of apple fruit filling into the oven, dump in a box of spice cake mix and pour a can of Dr. Pepper or lemon lime soda on top of it. A dozen coals underneath, about the same on top, cook for half an hour, and enjoy. :D Image

Here's a piece of the "level ground". :lol: Image
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Mike, it does my heart good to know you got out and enjoyed the great outdoors and mother earth. So you didn't bring home a trophy, you brought home a great trip with great people. Priceless. Thanks for the story. I didn't get to go hunting this year at all. :cry:
Old Law Dawg
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

kimwcook wrote:Mike, it does my heart good to know you got out and enjoyed the great outdoors and mother earth. So you didn't bring home a trophy, you brought home a great trip with great people. Priceless. Thanks for the story. I didn't get to go hunting this year at all. :cry:
Ditto!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

It's back to reality tomorrow. Resume chemo after a month break from the routine. :|
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sixgun wrote: Snake in the s**thouse?!! That would have made me jump out of my Redwings.
Sixgun
I would not have had any problem with constipation - that's for sure! :shock:
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

Great report and pics Mike!!! Beautiful country there....you are fortunate. Looking forward to next years photos...
:wink:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Mike, you was there and I was mostly at work! Good for you and thanks for the pictures :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Great looking country Mike! Just the right amount of cover and enough openings for clear shots too. Our hunting area here is void of any cover, so almost impossible to get close enough for anything under 200 yds., but occasionally it does happen.

earlmck,
The whitetails are really moving into my favorite area too! Still lots of mulies, but until this year I'd never seen the whitetails. Now they're everywhere here, and much smaller than the mulies.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

That is nice looking country and it sounds like a great hunt
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Mike it is great to here that you are out and enjoying life again under the circumstances! Best of luck with the chemo.