Oh that .308 Winchester is big!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Oh that .308 Winchester is big!

Post by getitdone1 »

Got your attention, didn't I?

Well.....it's big when you compare it to the .223.

I was shooting my Browning BLR .308 and Ruger Mini-14 .223 today and once I finished with the .223 (about 50 rounds) I opened the box of 308 and thought: Hey, these are bigger than I remembered.

Then, once I shot the .308--after so many .223 rounds--I could really feel and hear the power difference. No doubt the 20" 308 bbl adds to the sound.

I've only had one other 308 and it was a Winchester model 100 semi-auto carbine. Neat little gun. I am liking the 308 more and more and by only having to neck size when I reload it--I'm liking it even more. The Burris FastFire II on it adds to the fun with this gun. This BLR is the most pleasant to shoot medium powered gun I've ever had. The Browning recoil pad really makes this gun a pleasure to shoot and with the 180 gr Nosler Partitions too.

A Browning BAR 308 may be my next gun. The short barreled, synthetic stock version--and, a holographic sight for it.

The Sierra .308, 110 gr HP bullets I'm using look like the ticket for close-up varmints of all varieties. I've read that guys get very good accuracy with this bullet.

Don
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Oh that .308 Winchester is big!

Post by Newtmaker »

My first high power rifle was a Rem 700 in 222. A few months later I also bought another 700 in 308. I shot it a few times and had a recoil pad installed. My friends laughed at me but it was a sweet shooter afterwards!

Walt
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

The 308 is a lot of rifle no doubt
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

My Remington 700 PSS in 308 is the most accurate rifle I own.
Old Law Dawg
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

.308 is a fantastic cartridge(glad you love it) :wink:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Never owned one, but the M60 I carried was super accurate with the .308 (7.62 Nato). Nothing against the .308, just don't have one.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

piller wrote:Nothing against the .308, just don't have one.
That's the only thing I have against the .308, I don't have one! :mrgreen: I've shot a few from the bench, had pretty good luck with 'em.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

+2 to the recoil pad! First and so far only time I shot my savage 99 in 308 I shot less than 30 rds and was pretty beat up by the recoil.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Boys, don't get me wrong about the 308 being a kicker. I wouldn't mind it much without the recoil pad but with its Browning pad it's just surprisingly comfortable to shoot. The gun that hurts me the most is my Browning SRC 45-70 with steel butt plate and hot reloads with 400 gr bullets. Especially so from the bench. Much worse than my 375 H&H even when it had the Browning recoil pad on it rather than the present Limbsaver. The Limbsaver is a great product.

If a gun is going to hurt me from the bench, I get padding. A bruised shoulder discolored from recoil is something I try to avoid but I've had it more than once.

Don
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

.308W is a great cartridge. When the Win 88 and I do our best at the bench, we pattern five 165 grs Hornady IB in a 1" circle, sometimes tighter. Low recoil, great accuracy, simple to load och efficient enough for most game.

Pete
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Here is a photo showing two great cartridges side by side.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Tumbleweeds II
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tumbleweeds II »

I inherited a BAR .308 and should have kept it. The 150 grainers were pussycats, but the 180 grain bullets would make it kick some. Either shot very accurately with the 4X scope that was on the rifle.

The .308 is a .300 Savage (the perfect deer rifle caliber) with enough neck for good function in automatic weapons, and as such is a nearly perfect cartridge.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

My only ".308" is an LR-308 AR-10 clone! For some reason I find the in-arguably outstanding .308 to be boring as butter!! I will say, however, that in an AR-10 you can plink with it all day like you're shooting .357 mag out of a lever gun and that's kind of nice.

If I go back in the field to hunt any time soon (unlikely, but you never know) it will be with a .270 or a .25-06 here out west. Or maybe a 6.5mm Norwegian (not sure about that Swede cartridge, but the Norwegian one is really great). :wink:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Recoil really depends on the rifle's weight. A lot of .308 Win chambered rifles are lightweights... and that makes it kick a lot more - that is, the rifle doesn't soak up as much of the energy coming back at the shooter.

I've seen people at the range remark about 30-30's being stout kickers :lol:

It's all realative.

My own .308 is a Saiga that I converted to pistol grip configuration. It's a pussycat because the action takes most of the punishment. Only recoils a bit more than a standard AK 7.62x39.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I use for varmints the Hornady 110grn v-max in mine, don't think close range! The longest rabbit with one was 450+yards in a wind!
I am getting 3100fps from a 20" barrel!

A 308 is very good and can use a wide range of powders to work at different roles.
18grn of H4227 pushes a 170grn Speer flat over a 100yards but does not expand, perfect for rabbits (from my rifle).

The crow was taken with a Hornady 110grn, it is completely hollow!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Nath,

Great picture! You have some beautiful country in England but don't think I'd like all the rain it takes to make it so green.

Don
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

getitdone1 wrote:Nath,

Great picture! You have some beautiful country in England but don't think I'd like all the rain it takes to make it so green.

Don
It's not so bad Don, you can sneek about in the rain and usually nobody else is about :)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

My grandfather swore by the .308 for many years, but I always considered it the gun he liked that made all of the difference, it was a Winchester 100 in .308.

I never warmed up to the .308 much, until I bought my old Browning BLR. I was into longer rounds like the 30-06 and 270 Win, among others mostly bigger and meaner calibers, and I wasn't really sold on the little .308, but I loved the missle launcher it was chambered in which was a sweet little leveraction, fast to shoot, quick to shoulder, and hardly any heavier then a Marlin 336.

What I discovered was a rifle/caliber combo that has become my favorite bar none. I have found that little 20 inch barreled levergun in .308 to be just about perfect for any thing from 20yds to 300 plus. And the .308 with 180gr Silvertips, has preformed as well and quite often better then just about anything I have ever used it for, and it kills about as quick as anything I have ever used. Mild recoil, plenty accurate, whats to not like? It's my go to gun, everthing else is just vanity for me. :)
NRA Life Member, Patron
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nath, my rifle looks a lot like yours. I don't have any pictures sad to say. Need to remedy that.
Old Law Dawg
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

O.S.O.K. wrote:My own .308 is a Saiga that I converted to pistol grip configuration. It's a pussycat because the action takes most of the punishment. Only recoils a bit more than a standard AK 7.62x39.
Now I know this is a dumb question (but those are the most fun to ask), because of the 'pistol grip' thing, but what was your impression of the accuracy of the .308 Siaga? I was looking at them at the local shop last summer, and the short barrel and even shorter sight-radius gave me the impression accuracy would be difficult to achieve with one. Gotta admit, I do like the action of the Siaga from a 'truck gun' perspective; unfortunately there is a magazine-compatability issue with the 7.62x39 ones vs. 'standard' AK ones, though a 10-shot magazine actually makes the Siaga 7.62x39 handier and really more useful than a 30-shot one for most purposes.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

AJMD429 wrote:Now I know this is a dumb question (but those are the most fun to ask), because of the 'pistol grip' thing, but what was your impression of the accuracy of the .308 Siaga? I was looking at them at the local shop last summer, and the short barrel and even shorter sight-radius gave me the impression accuracy would be difficult to achieve with one. Gotta admit, I do like the action of the Siaga from a 'truck gun' perspective; unfortunately there is a magazine-compatability issue with the 7.62x39 ones vs. 'standard' AK ones, though a 10-shot magazine actually makes the Siaga 7.62x39 handier and really more useful than a 30-shot one for most purposes.
One way to significantly improve upon the AK's sights and sight radius is to install one of these AR-type peep sights from Tech Sights. They're very well made and really improve things quite a lot for those who like to stick with irons. This is the installation on my Polish Tantal:

It's been my experience that AKs are reasonably accurate (lever gun or Mini 14 accurate I'd say) when good sights and good ammunition are used. The latter is where most people fall down because cheap Warsaw Pact ammo is what draws some folks to these great plinkers. (And why not? Nuthin' wrong with that.)

I don't have an AK in .308 yet (it's on the list) but I do have this one in 7.62x54R and it's a hoot! Kicks like a regular AK but it's shooting .308 power (or better) ammo and it'll shoot 2" groups.

Fun stuff but admittedly this one is not a "truck gun" like you were musing regarding the 16" barrel Saigas. Just sayin' they're good Doc! Don't hesitate. :D

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

The BLR is the rifle that the .308 was created for; the perfect match, at least it has been for me since 1974.
kevin in nh
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kevin in nh »

I have always hunted with a 30.06....BAR, Gustav, Blaser.......but I have come to appreciate the 18" barrel BAR....so much so I bought a second one........joy to carry with the short barrel.....if you can find one with an 18" barrel.....7.6 with scope....