Reloading?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Reloading?

Post by jeepnik »

Another thread on how much you shoot got me to thinking. Who doesn't reload? And, how do you afford to shoot and not reload? I will admit that my shotshell reloader isn't used much. I just don't shoot shotguns that often. But, rifle and handgun reloading is a weekly occurance. How about everyone else?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Reloading?

Post by COSteve »

I currently reload 10 calibers and couldn't afford to shoot nearly as much as I do if I didn't handload. Besides it's a great hobby in and of itself that feeds another hobby, shooting.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I would have to go count but I load for 28-30 different rounds. It is the only way that I can afford to shoot the volume that I do. Plus I really do enjoy the reloading process.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I reload and shoot factory. I love the reloading, but finding the time is the killer.
Old Law Dawg
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I shoot about 15-20,000 rounds a year of factory ammo. :o .22 rimfire, of course. :lol:

I reload for about 7 or 8 other calibers, I shoot maybe 5-6000 rounds of centerfire a year, no way I could do that on factory ammo. Oregon Trail bullets (Lasercast) has an entire wing of their factory named in my honor. :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I reload for 10 calibers, and just don't have enough time to do it nearly as much as I would like. I find it therapeutic as I focus solely on the reloading and ignore everything else.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I cast and load for about 25 different calibers, some I can't buy ammo for like the 43 Spanish.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I reload for everything except rimfire and 7.62x39. I generally shoot a couple thousand .22 LR and another couple thousand of everything else combined each year. I couldn't afford to shoot if I didn't reload. The only time I buy anything besides rimfire is when I find a box of 30-30 or .243 for $11 or less. I figure that's a pretty good price for convenience, plus I get to keep the brass.

Oh, and I also buy all my shotgun ammo. I only shoot shotguns once or twice a year, and can't really justify having a whole reloading setup designated for shotgun.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Compared to some I only reload for a few cartridges. But if I did not load my own I would be restricted to .22s as it's just not cost effective to shoot center fires at the current price gouging cost levels.

Joe ... I handload to shoot, I don't shoot to handload.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

I enjoy reloading as much as shooting.

Is that wrong?

Don
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

I reload for the 32/20 357 38S&W(38-200) 45Colt 44WCF 38WCF and 9mm(para) Could not afford the factory ammo costs that would be involved.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I reload so that we can afford to shoot SASS. Cast a lot of my own bullets but buy a few. I even alloy my own bullet metal but can no longer find the 50/50 solder I once used for the tin content.
Need to buy some tin from John Walters, (Walter's Wads). He has it at a reasonable price.

I can reload for probably 30 calibers but mostly only load for about 10. That covers me and my boys. 3 sons and 9 grandsons. The girls aren't old enough yet to need ammo but it won't be long. Oh, my wife shoots a lot of 44-40 too.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I buy factory for rimfire and 45acp. I reload for 45-70 and .44mag (have some factory for .44). For shotguns, 20 and 12 is factory, 10 will be reloaded. But all my other stuff is reloaded one shot at a time (50 cal in line BP, .54 Cal Flintlock, and .54 cal sharps). For the sharps, my reloading consists of making paper cartridges or tube/bullet combos. I have purchased a lifetime supply of .20 cal pellet ammo. My equipment for reloading is a small melting pot for .54 cal ball and bullets, 10 ga. press, and a hand press for the 45-70 and 44mag.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Nazgul wrote:I enjoy reloading as much as shooting.

Is that wrong?

Don
No, I am the same.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

wolfdog wrote:
Nazgul wrote:I enjoy reloading as much as shooting.

Is that wrong?

Don
No, I am the same.
Yes, many of us start reloading to save money on ammo, however, as we do it more we come to enjoy the process. A few of us even get to the point where we have to ask,

"Do I reload to shoot or do I shoot to reload?
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

COSteve wrote:A few of us even get to the point where we have to ask,

Whew! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've been afraid to fess up about that. The extension of this is that those of us afflicted with the disease may occasionally acquire a gun merely for the pleasure of working up loads for it.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

I currently reload for 20 different center-fire chamberings from 22 Hornet to 500 S&W Mag. lately, I've been loading a lot of 12 gauge buckshot too. I love the process and of course, shooting plenty o'rounds.
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

I reload for 20 different rifle and pistol calibres.

In my case, it is just about impossible to find affordable and/or quality black powder cartridges with paper patched (or grease groove) bullets for the various Black Powder Cartriudge Rifles that I shoot. If I did not reload, I would not be able to shoot these rifles with Black Powder and lead.

Same with several pistol calibre (such as the .41 Magnum, 44 Special, 45 Auto Rim, and 45 Colt) commercially loaded with smokeless powder and jacketed bullets. To cut down on reloading costs, I reload with Berry’s copper plated lead bullets. For just a few cents more than lead, I avoid leading without the cost of jacketed bullets.

For those not familiar with Berry Bullets: www.berrysmfg.com
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

earlmck wrote:
COSteve wrote:A few of us even get to the point where we have to ask,

Whew! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've been afraid to fess up about that. The extension of this is that those of us afflicted with the disease may occasionally acquire a gun merely for the pleasure of working up loads for it.
I bought my first 45/70 because someone gave me some tips and brass. :D
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I don't reload to reload; I reload to have reloaded.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Last time I counted....I was reloading 23 different metallic cartridges, 4 gauges of shotgun rounds, and casting for my muzzleloader. At this point, I pretty much refuse to buy a new gun if it's not in a caliber I already load for. I've cut my bullet casting back to my muzzleloader, and my rifles. I no longer cast for the pistols since those are the ones I shoot the most. I know that may sound counter-intuitive at first....but it seems to make sense to me and allows me to use my supply of metal, and available time for crafting lower volume rounds rather than using it all up blasting away 9mm and .45's every week-end. I can purchase suitable bullets for those in bulk. There's also the "do-it-myself" factor with the rifles. Casting my own bullets, working up a good load, then putting one of those careflly crafted rounds through a deer or hog carries a certain gratification you don't get from punching holes in paper.
Lastly...since you asked...for me personally..there's a connection most folks don't share. You see, I was introduced to bullet casting and lubing when I was a kid...helping Dad with his hobby.
Eisenhower was President and I was lube-sizing .38 wadcutters as they cooled. Dad cast those, as well as bullets for his '06 rifles,the .348, and .250 savage. Those mild loads are what he used to introduce me to shooting his "Huntin' guns". Dad is long passed....but I am still using those old Lyman molds to cast for those same rifles...(and a "few" more. :wink:)
Whenever I'm heating one of them up, running a batch of bullets, ...well, there's a sort of "connection" I feel to my Dad and those earlier times that I can get in no other way.
Sorry to be so "wordy"....but it sort of flowed.