Not a lever gun-Marlin 981TS

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Not a lever gun-Marlin 981TS

Post by Stan in SC »

I've been considering a tube fed bolt action .22 for awhile.Yesterday at the shop a regular customer comes in with a Marlin 981TS which is a .22 tube fed bolt action in stainless with synthetic stock.He had the original box and said it had been fired 50 times(one box).The price was extremely attractive so I personally bought it with the approval of the shop owner.This is one really nice looking .22 rifle and I am looking forward to shooting it.It came with two 550 round boxes of Federal ammunition and a zipper case.
I bought my first rifle in 1954 at age 13 with paper route money.It was a Marlin single shot.I still shoot it.Always had good luck with Marlins.Just wanted to share.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Not a lever gun-Marlin 981TS

Post by pwl44m »

What !, no pictures ? You know the rules.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The first long gun that Jr. bought for himself with his money was an 81TS. We considered about every rifle we could think of before we settled on that one. One of the things that was a great attraction was the fact that it will feed short long and long rifle from the magazine. While it's not a match rifle it would certainly do for shooting a casual match at about any gun club I know of.
Congratulations you'll enjoy it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice grab. Can't wait to see the pic.
Old Law Dawg
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I've been thinking about purchasing the same gun--small world--love those tube fed .22's
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

Sorry,I do not do pictures.Old guys barely know enough about a computer to make posts.

Stan in SC

mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I have the blued Model 981T. I put a Bushnell 4-12X40 scope on it and when I use "Acur'rzred" ammo, I get groups under 3/4" at around 40 yards (that's all the room I had). I tried some factory bulk stuff (Federal I believe) and groups opened up some, but still under 1 inch (not so good for some, but good for me!). I had one group with "Acur'rzred" CCI Green Tag go under 1/2", around 7/16" or so, but maybe that was just luck. Excellent bolt action .22, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I went to the gun club this morning just to shoot the new .22 Marlin.At 50 yards using iron sights I got about a 2" grouping after a couple of minor sight adjustments both front and rear.I hung an empty helium tank at 100 yards and could hit it every time and get the gong effect.At this point I have no plans to scope the rifle.It shoots good enough with iron sights out to 100 yards.
The ammunition I used was bulk Federal 36 grain hollow points of which I got two unopened 550 round cartons in the deal when I bought the rifle.Nuff to keep me for awhile.

Stan in SC

TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

Just about every Marlin rimfire I have owned has been way more accurate than it had any right to be. For the price, it is really hard to beat Marlin 22s.
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

I've got one of those. Gave it to my son to do his hunter safety course with. Its a great little gun!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Congrats Stan. I've been looking for one of those for a while now, checking out the gun stores around here and hitting the gun shows when they are in town, but haven't been able to find one yet. Glad to hear yours is a keeper! 8)
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'm a bit envious Stan. We don't often get to buy good guns before the shop owner... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hobie wrote:I'm a bit envious Stan. We don't often get to buy good guns before the shop owner... :wink:
Heck, that should be the number 1 perk of the job!!!
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

Hobie,the shop always gets first choice.That's one of the rules and I understand the thinking behind it fully.I bought the rifle personally AFTER checking with the owner as to whether or not he wanted to put it into stock.All personal transactions go on outside,not inside the shop so that it is understood by all parties involved that it was indeed a personal transaction.

Stan in SC

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Stan in SC wrote:Hobie,the shop always gets first choice.That's one of the rules and I understand the thinking behind it fully.I bought the rifle personally AFTER checking with the owner as to whether or not he wanted to put it into stock.All personal transactions go on outside,not inside the shop so that it is understood by all parties involved that it was indeed a personal transaction.

Stan in SC
Oh, I understood what you meant. What I meant was that our boss NEVER passes up good guns. :lol: I'm still waiting for him to turn down a gun because of a $25 or so price difference between him and the seller but it hasn't happened, yet. I HAVE gotten a good couple of guns that came into the shop but he did get his cut... :wink: One was a Colt Commander in .45 ACP (the older lightweight not the Combat Commander). There is a lot of cherry picking going on in the shop. There are a couple of guys who visit EVERY day (and I used to... :roll: ).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson