Sling for a 1895 Cowboy.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nobody

Sling for a 1895 Cowboy.

Post by Nobody »

Last edited by Nobody on Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Sling for a 1895 Cowboy.

Post by 2ndovc »

Just another option.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I like that. I have a simple sling on my baby rolling block
This thing is inexpensive - $12 at Dixie gun works.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Bobthemotorcycle wrote:I am going to get a 1895 Cowboy in the near future and I want to add a sling. I want both ends in the wood, not around the barrel or magazine tube. To me it looks like the forward stock is a little thin. Is it possible to order a 1895G forward stock and whittle it until it fits the cowboy then use its sling loop?
I'm not sure about the 1895s, but the length of the forends on the regular 1894 and the 1894Cowboy is a couple of inches... with the Cowboy being shorter. I've seen some that have the eye for the sling swivel tapped into the forend cap.
Uncle Mike's Quick Detachable Forend Band Style Sling Swivel Set with Machine Screw Base 1" Black. These would be much better than in the relatively thin wood of the forend. Er... IMO. :mrgreen: :P :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Like Griff, I've found the best option is the Uncle Mike's threaded stud, installed into the forend cap. If it were me, I'd drill and tap the forend cap, or order one from Marlin that is already set up that way. It isn't a difficult project. Easier than the barrel-band type, because there is more meat to the forend cap, plus you can relieve some of the wood underneath, so you don't need a perfectly flush inside fit. I epoxied mine once I fit them the way I liked. Be sure to use the ones that have threads all the way up the shaft like the ones he links to.

If you really want it into the wood itself, you might want a threaded metal base kind of like the ones sold for M-1A's that you inlet into the inside of the forend.
( http://www.midwayusa.com/product/290259 ... roductDesc )
Bobthemotorcycle wrote:I want both ends in the wood, not around the barrel or magazine tube.
I agree - I never could figure the point in having to loop a sling over the barrel or make it part of a leather buttstock-cover. Why not put sling-studs in it, if it is a gun you intend to keep, unless it is a truly 'historic' specimen you dare not alter?

I do have a couple ones with the 'magazine' mount, and they are pretty nice as well, but like you, I'd rather have the sling mount to the GUN, not the magazine.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "