can you still buy strike anywhere matches?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

can you still buy strike anywhere matches?

Post by foxtrapper »

If anyone has a source that will ship please post it here. Thanks
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ot- can you still buy strike anywhere matches?

Post by Tycer »

Diamond is the only brand and many rural stores still carry them. Amazon carries them, kinda spendy.

Make your own: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs9VI4ylEAY
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

foxtrapper, that's a darn good question. I wondering the same thing just this weekend. It looks like I'll have to pick up a lifetime supply from Amazon or where ever else they can be found. Thanks for the topic post.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

the problem isn't buying them, the problem is shipping them - DOT hazardous materials.
Check local outdoor suppliers next time you're out and about.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I still see them....I try to keep several boxes on hand, as well as book matches. A dozen disposable Bic around, too. Fire is good :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Well I went on amazon :shock: not only are they expensive to buy(ship) the reviews are not great , most saying they ain't what they used to be. Guess I'll have to keep an eye out during my travels.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Ace Hardware carries them here.
Hobie

Re: can you still buy strike anywhere matches?

Post by Hobie »

No "OT" please. Thank you.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

Hobie wrote:No "OT" please. Thank you.
Hobie,
What's is "OT"? Just wondering?
Mossy
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

Yep, ACE hardware has them. I too have heard they are not what they used to be. In addition, they degrade over time, so a 'lifetime supply' may go bad on you. I have some from the late 80's/early 90's that are bad. I just bought a box at ACE, but have not tried them out yet.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

BlaineG wrote:I still see them....I try to keep several boxes on hand, as well as book matches. A dozen disposable Bic around, too. Fire is good :wink:
Any store that carries wood stove products usually has them. BlaineG why not carry a ferro rod, dryer lint, and some birch bark. :P
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I picked up 3 boxes of them at the local Walmart for $2/box.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I have bought "strike anywhere" matches a few times over the last 20 years or so, none of them would strike anywhere at all except on the side of the box, and then it's iffy. :(
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

As far as I know, the old strike-anywhere matches are no more. If you're of an older generation like me, the ones I'm familiar with you can strike on anything, a rock, jeans zipper, etc.

All the newer ones you have a specific striking surface to go with the match.

Still have to pay extra $$ for the haz mat issues in shipping.

More safety nannies and our not-so-wonderful gov't looking out for us. (ha!)
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

BlaineG why not carry a ferro rod, dryer lint, and some birch bark
Ugh, Paleface like'um EASY fire.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

wecsoger wrote:As far as I know, the old strike-anywhere matches are no more. If you're of an older generation like me, the ones I'm familiar with you can strike on anything, a rock, jeans zipper, etc.

I buy them all the time up in NH. Never looked down here but theyre easy to find there.
Adobe Walls
Levergunner

Post by Adobe Walls »

Howdy.

I find them only sporadically, and yes, they are usually Diamond brand. Check small town country grocers where wood heat is common and also the pipe and tobacco shops. They show up in odd places. Normal retail prices are about $1-$1.25 a box for the big kitchen size. Usually in cellophane wrapped 3 box packs. The penny size small boxes come in cellophane wrapped bundles of 10 and average 30-40 cents a box IIRC. The shelf life of a match has a lot to do with humidity, so seal them up in airtight containers with a dessicant or vacuum pack (or both) for maximum shelf life. Dipping them in melted paraffin wax makes for a waterproof, long burning and hot match.AW
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Mossyoak1957 wrote:Hobie, What's is "OT"? Just wondering? Mossy
Every few months someone gets upset that there are posts on the forum other than purely about leverguns, so for awhile the 'protocol' was to use 'OT' (for off-topic) in the title of anything not lever-gun related. Of course there were 'borderline' areas - .30-06 reloading question - is it for use in a Savage 99 or an evil bolt-action... :roll:

Once we separated out the more controversial stuff with a 'political' section, it seemed reasonable to just drop the whole 'OT' thing, and if folks don't want to read about an Old Tractor project, or How To Weld, or My new Fishing Pole, they just have to learn to use the keyboard and skip to the next thread.

The current system seems to work pretty well, as most of us have fairly similar 'off-topic' interests - in machines, farm stuff, hunting, sixguns, and the occasional evil-black-rifle stuff...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

jnyork wrote:I have bought "strike anywhere" matches a few times over the last 20 years or so, none of them would strike anywhere at all except on the side of the box, and then it's iffy. :(

This has been my experience with the newer ones also. The local wal-mart has sold them fairly recently, but they are pretty pathetic compared to the older versions. I gave up on them, the strike on box matches work better in general. I went to the strike on box matches in my waterproof case, just cut a strip of the striker board and put in the case. I now buy the good wind and/or waterproof matches for the woods carry case anyway, after giving up on the strike anywheres. I wasted all the strike anywheres in my case trying to strike them on rocks and the side of the case, with a couple sputter/fizzes, and most just not working at all.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

wecsoger wrote:As far as I know, the old strike-anywhere matches are no more. If you're of an older generation like me, the ones I'm familiar with you can strike on anything, a rock, jeans zipper, etc.

I have a box of Diamond Strike Anywhere matches right next to me that we use for the wood stove. Can't remember where we buy em but the wife been getting em lately so that means either Walmart or the grocery store. I've also seen them at about any camping store and most hardware stores. But anyway, I decided to give em a try on a couple surfaces. Side of the stove? Lit first strike. Tile floor in front of stove? Lit first strike. Zipper of my jeans? Took 3.

LK
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Wal Mart has them...they are one of the few things they sell still manufactured in USA