My first 4x4, Jeep Wrangler

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

My first 4x4, Jeep Wrangler

Post by Aussie Chris »

Gday all.

As some of you may remember, I have been searching for a '70 Mach 1 Mustang/Boss 302, well that search continues but my other search for a nice Jeep has ended!

Found a real nice 2006 TJ 65th anniversary in black with 58,000 kms on the clock!

One female owner that has never even engaged 4wd! The sump, fuel tank and floors are free of any sort of dings or scratches unlike all the othjers I have seen! This thing still has factory tags hanging off the springs! Ive always liked the Wrangler and have found the right one for me! Will be great with a set of muddys chasing sambar down here in the high country.

I know you will be pleased sixgun ;)

Chris
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT - My first 4x4, Jeep Wrangler

Post by J Miller »

Chris,

Congratulations on your find.

I know how you feel. Several years ago I bought a 95 Nissan Pathfinder that was a one owner vehicle. Garage kept and very very very clean. It's turned out to be a great vehicle. I'm only saddened because the road salt they use here in Illinois is eating up. Nothing I can do about that either.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Nice find Chris !

As you likely already know, its much better to find a clean, unmolested one to start with than one that has already been "tricked out" ---
this time last year, i found a motor home pull-behind (that is, 1/2 its life it had been pulled from campground to campground) --- it is stock as a rock

I originally had some other plans for it, -- 4" lift, 33" tires, safari racks and the like --- but fast forward a year later and it is still stock . Its fun to drive, gets reasonable fuel economy (compared to my big trucks, but not compared to an Accord or something) and is easy to park.
I have engaged 4wd a few times, but for me, the reality is, i don't really need more offroad capability than the stocker has to offer -- big tires would be just for show, and thats ok, but i'm waiting till i wear out the stock 30" ones first

Enjoy :D

I like the Mach 1's also --- it may sound odd to ya , but i actually like the long, swoopy lines of the '71 - '72 model. Its not my "holy grail" car, but if one came along at the right price i would be sorely tempted
----- Doug
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

He won't be pleased until we se pics.... Congrats
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

Sixgun jr wrote:He won't be pleased until we se pics.... Congrats
Yeah no kidding.
My son almost had a Wrangler today, but the guy sold it out from under him, but as it turns out it had a weak cylinder, probably a good thing it went, but on the bright side we went and looked at a Jeep Grand Cherokee, it followed us home :D
When I was younger I had two different CJ-5s, I loved them both, then I had a Cherokee, I really liked it, but it had that stupid little v6 in it, no power, and way bad MPG, but it was still nice, wish I had a jeep again :(
Good for you!!
Terry
Hobie

Re: My first 4x4, Jeep Wrangler

Post by Hobie »

No "OT" please. Thank you.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I travel western Canada's oilfield in my TJ. It shines in big wild Commonwealth countries. It has been dependable and carries me home in blizzards, spring mud, black ice, remote bush roads, and -40C weather. TJs are tough and the modern quadracoil suspension makes the ride almost civilized.

I run 31" rubber, summer mudders and winter studded snows, with no lift and have not needed extra lift yet. I do no rock climbing unless it is mountain roads to oil leases but will investigate old abandon logging roads from the days of the teamster loggers. Any more civilized and it wouldn't be a Jeep it would be a SUV with Jeep in its name. To me its not a decendent of the GI Jeep unless it sports solid axles front and rear and the top comes off and windshield down. With solid axles up front a guy can hit the bush to avoid a loaded logger and get towed out and drive home without damage. Worked for me more than once. Always better to hit the bush rather than Kenworth.

My favorite traits are a legendary straight six, the ability to do a 3 point turn on a goat trail, outstanding mud abilities with good rubber. The best trait is a complete gears and lever 4X4 system not plaqued by the sensors, processor, stability programs that take control of your brakes, and failure prone electronic locking hubs in modern pick-ups. I work around thousands of HD off road pickups and failures are common and always stem from some computer chip that decides to shut you down becase it thinks your parked at Starbucks not 300 kms of spring slop from the highway a few miles from the low Arctic Territories.

Biggest complaint is the fuel capacity when i drive off on a logging road for 3 hours. A couple Jerry cans and all is good. Next would brr the infamous shovel skid plate. My buddy and I are looking at angles to keep it from scooping mud.

The ultimate source for Jeep TJ forum, a must join. All other models covered on site as well. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Nice find and welcome to the "Jeep family". Don't forget you live in the land of one of the best aftermarket suspensions - Old Man Emu! :mrgreen:
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

Hobie wrote:No "OT" please. Thank you.
Just courious, what was/is off topic for/in this thread?
Terry
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Congrats! I have a 2008 wrangler and love it - in spite of the "not 4.0 liteR iniline 6" powerplant ;)

I plan on getting a nice older one when finances/priorities allow.

And yeah, let's see some pics!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

bumper sticker:

"It's a Jeep thing. You wouldn't understand"

better bumper sticker:

"I understand the Jeep thing, that's why I drive a Landcruiser"

:mrgreen:
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Good for you. Now you can start customizing. Remember Jeep stands for

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket.

(2001 TJ Sport here)
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Thanks for the comments everyone. Here are some pics finally, sorry it's a bit dirty but I cant stop driving it. I guess I like yank machines, Jeep, Harley and Mustang in the future! My two modes of transport are the jeep and Harley

Yeah Joe, the salt on the roads is bad, when I was over there last year looking at Mustangs I noticed replaced panels on all cars in the mid west.

streetstar, the '71 Boss 351 and 429 SCJ were amongst the quickest and powerful that Ford had to offer, both in the 13 sec range stock! I like the '71s too

And yeah the fuel economy isnt the best, 13 litres per 100kms but I knew that before I bought it. The fuel capacity could be better but as Canuck Bob said ,erry cans fixes that. That Jeep forum is gold-more reading for me!

Dont know if ill spend lots on customisation, gotta have some $ left for a house deposit and a Mach 1 :wink:

If anything, maybe just some ARB bullbars, a decent roof rack and a small set of muddies. I am glad is is stock and a one owner female owner= not mucked around with.

Just changed the oil in it and not a leak anywhere, even from both diffs. Just a nice practically new jeep. She is just alot of fun to drive! Just cant beleive my luck in getting it at the price that I did. I beat a few upset off blokes to it :mrgreen:

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

The steering wheel is on the wrong side!!!!!!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Haha nah you guys have them on the wrong side!
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

For those of us out in the provinces, that picture sure twisted my head around.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

TMair wrote:
Hobie wrote:No "OT" please. Thank you.
Just courious, what was/is off topic for/in this thread?
Terry
What Hobie means is that no topic is considered "Off Topic" anymore, so no need to note "OT" in the subject line.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=37947
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Wow - that is in outstanding condition! Really nice. Obviously hasn't seen much of the bush... yet :D
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
igon51
Levergunner

Post by igon51 »

Back in '07 I bought an '02 Sport, 5 speed, straight 6 with 14K miles on it from a private owner. It had both the soft and hard tops. Loved it. Drove it until 2010 when I sold it to get a pickup which more suited my needs; couldn't afford to have both. The fella I sold it to had his '87 rear ended and totalled and gave me what I was asking in price. He really loves it as it was an enormous upgrade from his old one...lots of options his other one didn't have. They really hold their value and I do miss driving it. Easy to work on and parts are readily available. Would love to have another to just play around with. Best of luck with yours :D
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

That 2nd Pic incited My Curiosity, what side is the Throttle on of The Harley?
Super clean Jeep for sure.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

The throttle is in the right grip just like all the others