Henry yellow boy 22

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Henry yellow boy 22

Post by foxtrapper »

Pulled the trigger on my first Henry. Went with the brass receiver and octagon barrel. She 's a beaut. One problem..........it's being gifted :cry:
bdhold

Re: Henry yellow boy 22

Post by bdhold »

was looking at a Golden Boy just yesterday - they are nicely appointed.
I ended up buying the H001 Henry for my daughter - $160 difference which I couldn't justify (if I get it up to $400 then I might as well justify the next $300 for a Marlin, etc...)
Make sure you watch Skinner sights for a brass receiver dovetail peep sight later this month.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Wonderful shooters. One problem, the brass has a poly clearcoat and will chip, peal and start to look bad someday. If they didn't have the clear coat, you could polish the brass, but not the way it is. I'm not quite sure how to strip it off. I may need to jn a few years. As far as spending as much for a Marlin, the Henrys are better. I'd buy a big bore, but they are too heavy.

Owen
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Bulldog your costing me money! Well not me ,I'll pass along the Skinner info to the new owner. High time ,hopefully you will have the stripping solution figured out by the time He'll need :D it
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I think that the reason I worry about it is because I've tried to polish a Honda cycle. Same problem.

Owen
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, you'll just have to get one for youself. :)

That's a really nice gift.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I have one, nice fit and finish and accurate. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

How were the sights?
My son bought a blued Henry 22 and with the rear sight all the way down, it shoots 2 1/2" high at about 50 yds.
You can't put a taller front on either as the front sight and bbl. band is one piece, with no dovetail.
He's been meaning to call customer service about it.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Mine is good.

Owen
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

gcs wrote:How were the sights?
My son bought a blued Henry 22 and with the rear sight all the way down, it shoots 2 1/2" high at about 50 yds.
You can't put a taller front on either as the front sight and bbl. band is one piece, with no dovetail.
He's been meaning to call customer service about it.
The octagon barrel has a dovetail, brass bead front sight.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Very nice COSteve! I have been buying online and customizing what I already have so I have not been in a gunshop for awhile. Any who ,while I was there I noticed a Rossi 92 SS in 357mag :shock: I have not seen, much less held a Rossi, never had the urge(liked my guns made in the USA) but one is on my list now! Beautiful fit and finish, I am impressed! Do these rifles need tuning from the get go? It will be for plinking and hunting. If so would it be a good idea to go through Steves Gunz for a action job,safety replacement with his sight and the rifle itself?
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Skinner sights shows that they can machine dovetails into the pot-metal barrel band/front sight on newer H001s - of course that's not on the older ones with plastic front sight.

http://www.skinnersights.com/henry_rifles_18.html

here's another option "coming soon" to Midway
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/141467 ... iber-optic
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

foxtrapper wrote:Very nice COSteve! I have been buying online and customizing what I already have so I have not been in a gunshop for awhile. Any who ,while I was there I noticed a Rossi 92 SS in 357mag :shock: I have not seen, much less held a Rossi, never had the urge(liked my guns made in the USA) but one is on my list now! Beautiful fit and finish, I am impressed! Do these rifles need tuning from the get go? It will be for plinking and hunting. If so would it be a good idea to go through Steves Gunz for a action job,safety replacement with his sight and the rifle itself?
Oh do I love Rossi leverguns in 357mag!! I have both a 20" carbine and a 24" oct bbl rifle and they are both super accurate and just plain fun to shoot. While they'll slick up a bit over time, the best thing to do by far is to get a Rossi Action/Trigger kit from our own Nate (Steve's Gunz) HERE.

In the kit you'll get a DVD that is so simple even I could follow it that explains everything you'll ever need to know about your Rossi including how to slick it up. Besides the DVD, you'll get a reduced power ejector spring that helps lighten the action (also so you don't throw brass into the next county) and a steel mag follower to replace the plastic one. Well worth the $58 the kit costs. In addition, if your gun has one of those stupid bolt top safeties on it, then you'll also want a plug to replace it that Steve sells HERE. Using the kits you can slick up both the action and trigger so both are slick as snot and I think that they look good too.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Oops......accidentally PM'd my post instead of writing it here.

Shooting someone else's pride and joy? :mrgreen:

I have one and its super accurate out of the box and I like the sights on it.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

A couple of years ago my grandson bought the blued Henry .22, he complained that the front sight would cover his targets at about 80 yards.
He was shooting at little rocks and sticks. About that time Ted from up in Missouri posted about rebuiling the plastic front sight. He cut the sight off and filed it flat. cut a dovetail and installed a Marbles 3/16 gold bead from Midway. Ted sent me the stock number to order. We did my grandson's rifle and it could not be better.
Have not seen him post in awhile, is he still with us?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15