Saw an interesting levergun in a gun shop today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Saw an interesting levergun in a gun shop today

Post by Jason_W »

It was a Norinco lever action 12 ga shotgun. Anyone know anything about these. It was wicked ugly, but in a cool way.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

It is a remake of the Winchester 1887. Some Norinco's are better than others in fit & finish.

IIRC There was a batch blem/weldups out there, but they are all supposedly proofed for modern loads.

Coyote Cap makes a slicked up variant.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

It's an old J.M. Browning design from 1887. Great guns, the originals that is, the Norinco have had some problems NIB but can be slicked up nicely to run fast. They run smokeless powder where the originals do not. The originals were only 2 5/8in. chambers as well, I think.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Just an FYI. Turns out one of the problems was a trigger spring installed upside down from the factory. If your trigger is sloppy and the firing pin strike is weak, reverse the trigger spring in your shotgun and it should make a 100% improvement in it.
ED
Yer never too old
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

If its anything like their so called 1897 shotguns, stay away from it. Norinco Chinese junk. ------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

BHB
Levergunner

Post by BHB »

Sixgun wrote:If its anything like their so called 1897 shotguns, stay away from it. Norinco Chinese junk.
FIRST of all........NORINCO was an exporter of the early chinese manufacture 1897's and NOT the manufacturer.

SECONDLY.......Interstate Arms ( http://iacshotguns.com/ ) has a factory in China that makes excellent replicas of the 1897, 1887 and others.

THIRDLY........All chinese shotguns ARE NOT created equal. Other Chinese manufactured 1897 shotguns are not of the quality that INTERSTATE ARMS imports.

I have three 1897 shotguns from INTERSTATE ARMS and have shot over 10,000 rounds thru the shotguns and they are a QUALITY PRODUCT.

Don't fall for the rhetoric..........if you want a quality product buy an INTERSTATE ARMS shotgun.

http://iacshotguns.com/97w.html :wink:
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

BHB wrote:

I have three 1897 shotguns from INTERSTATE ARMS and have shot over 10,000 rounds thru the shotguns and they are a QUALITY PRODUCT.

Don't fall for the rhetoric..........if you want a quality product buy an INTERSTATE ARMS shotgun.
You call it interstate arms--I call it why-this-country-is-lost-on-U.S. built-industrial-goods-and-people-who-choose-to-save-money-so-they-can-buy-other-imported-goods-which-is-going-to-lead-the-U.S.-to-be-a-third-world-nation or in plain English, Chinese junk.-------------Have a nice day :D ------------------Sixgun

Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Wow.

how did this thread go from "Hey, I saw an interesting looking gun . . . " to politics?
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

One long hyphenated word.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Killer Kanuck »

Once I replaced the left extractor spring on mine (had to make one, which was a pain in the posterior - but at least now I know how to make a spring should I ever need an oddball) she's working like a top.

And if anyone doesn't know how the action on these things work, I took step by step pics I can post if you want.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote: You call it interstate arms--I call it why-this-country-is-lost-on-U.S. built-industrial-goods-and-people-who-choose-to-save-money-so-they-can-buy-other-imported-goods-which-is-going-to-lead-the-U.S.-to-be-a-third-world-nation or in plain English, Chinese junk.-------------Have a nice day :D ------------------Sixgun
Sixgun, I hope you'll forgive my S-A'd answer above, as I actually agree with you. I truly wish Winchester and Colt would produce MORE guns of the type and quality that made them household names. They don't and likely ain't. Surviving examples aren't numerous enough to meet the demand, so what're we left with? Foreign junk we cobble around with and make due the best we can.
Again, my apologies.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote:
Sixgun wrote: You call it interstate arms--I call it why-this-country-is-lost-on-U.S. built-industrial-goods-and-people-who-choose-to-save-money-so-they-can-buy-other-imported-goods-which-is-going-to-lead-the-U.S.-to-be-a-third-world-nation or in plain English, Chinese junk.-------------Have a nice day :D ------------------Sixgun
Sixgun, I hope you'll forgive my S-A'd answer above, as I actually agree with you. I truly wish Winchester and Colt would produce MORE guns of the type and quality that made them household names. They don't and likely ain't. Surviving examples aren't numerous enough to meet the demand, so what're we left with? Foreign junk we cobble around with and make due the best we can.
Again, my apologies.
Griff and other fine dudes here who took offense to my statement on Chinese junk:- Here I go again, stealing a topic and ranting about politics--------------Its not that I think the guns are no good,(well :D ) its just that I am getting increasingly frustrated with junk coming out of China. The Italians, Germans, and other European companies make some quality stuff and keep the supply and demand somewhat equal, which allows companies here to stay in business, but those stinkin' Chinese businessmen are flooding the country with just about everything from nails to coffee pots, and from what I hear, cars are coming soon. I knew it from the git-go years ago what was going to happen and it has. Manufacturing has all but left here. Then we gotta fight the illegals, both them and ones here who want to protect them. We are fast becoming a third world nation.

Yea, maybe it has kept the costs down but to me, the price is too dear.

In 1960, the US had two thirds of the worlds wealth.

I would rather do without certain items than see the wealth stay here in the US. Those people over there have been eating each other and little dogs for centuries--let 'em continue. And yep, I ain't p.c. because we Americans as people are BETTER than they are.-----------------Sixgun

BHB
Levergunner

Post by BHB »

Sixgun wrote:Here I go again, stealing a topic and ranting about politics.....I am getting increasingly frustrated with junk coming out of China.......but those stinkin' Chinese businessmen..........nails to coffee pots....Then we gotta fight the illegals.........becoming a third world nation.
You know.........I coulda sworn we were talking about a shotgun and not debating world economics........ :?
Why don't you try sticking to the topic instead of hijacking the thread?
You want your own topic about the state of affairs of America's balance of trade and international manufacturing?.........Start one!
I have extensive experience with the imported 97's and was trying to share it with the board.......I was trying to PREVENT the other members from making a bad choice with other questionable quality 97's.
This was not the place to post your essay.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

BHB wrote:
Sixgun wrote:Here I go again, stealing a topic and ranting about politics.....I am getting increasingly frustrated with junk coming out of China.......but those stinkin' Chinese businessmen..........nails to coffee pots....Then we gotta fight the illegals.........becoming a third world nation.
You know.........I coulda sworn we were talking about a shotgun and not debating world economics........ :?
Why don't you try sticking to the topic instead of hijacking the thread?
You want your own topic about the state of affairs of America's balance of trade and international manufacturing?.........Start one!
I have extensive experience with the imported 97's and was trying to share it with the board.......I was trying to PREVENT the other members from making a bad choice with other questionable quality 97's.
This was not the place to post your essay.
Oh, I see, you have so much experience and were trying to educate the board. Then why don't you tell us who else makes a replica of the 1897 Winchester. Come on tart, who? We don't need your advertising here as you work for the importing company that imports Chinese JUNK. Like their toys, its probably made of lead. I was probably shooting before you were even born and I have vast experience with thousands of guns and I can tell good stuff from JUNK and anything that comes out of China is JUNK. Not political my man, educational. Now go cry and kick the dog. :cry: :cry: :cry:

horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

[/quote]Sixgun, I hope you'll forgive my S-A'd answer above, as I actually agree with you. I truly wish Winchester and Colt would produce MORE guns of the type and quality that made them household names. They don't and likely ain't. Surviving examples aren't numerous enough to meet the demand, so what're we left with? Foreign junk we cobble around with and make due the best we can.
Again, my apologies.[/quote]

Griff, You bring up an excellent point! With the SASS CASS and other shooting sports that promote the use of firearms from the Old West, why has WINCHESTER and COLT not stepped up to the plate and provided the REAL MCCOY rather than letting the forign markets to dominate as they do?
BHB
Levergunner

Post by BHB »

Sixgun wrote:Come on tart, who?...I was probably shooting before you were even born......I have vast experience........I can tell...JUNK ....political my man......kick the dog.
:roll: .......you crack me up. :D

Have you actually fired a chinese 97?.......Instead of trying to argue JUST answer the question.......have you actually fired a chinese shotgun? I DOUBT IT!!
Go whine somewhere else...... :lol:

Friends..........buy an INTERSTATE SHOTGUN and be happy. :D

"Tart"?.........ROTFLAMO........ :?
BHB
Levergunner

Post by BHB »

horsesoldier03 wrote:With the SASS CASS and other shooting sports that promote the use of firearms from the Old West, why has WINCHESTER and COLT not stepped up to the plate and provided the REAL MCCOY rather than letting the forign markets to dominate as they do?
It's simply a $ issue......with foreign manufacturing costs being much cheaper and many companies all to eager to give manufacturing expertise to foreign factories.....it's a cost issue......Even Remington is importing Serbian made Mauser-type actions and marketing them as "REMINGTONS".
:(