Barnes TSX in 30/30 report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Barnes TSX in 30/30 report

Post by DerekR »

Hi Guys. I thought I would make a report on performance of the Barnes TSX on deer. Both of my son's have taken deer with the 30/30 reloaded with Barnes TSX and 34 grains of W748. I have been extremely pleased with this bullet on game. I don't normally like to pay for premium bullets and I have never found the standard bullets in the 30/30 to be lacking, but with younger shooters I wanted to avoid the painful experience of unrecovered game. To be honest, they are good shots and all three of the deer they have killed with the TSX would have died with any good bullet. However, the TSX penetrates like crazy and the big hollowpoint does a lot of damage. The longest shot was 120 yards and the shortest 30. None of the deer have traveled very far and blood trails were impressive. They ain't cheap, but I feel they push the effectiveness of the 30/30 up a notch.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Re: Barnes TSX in 30/30 report

Post by Mike D. »

The TSX bullets are expensive but, as you know, they are quite effective. I use them exclusively. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Mike D. doesn't say so, but they are California legal.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 93marshooter »

Jeff Quinn on "gunblast" titled 30WCF has a good article on Barnes 30-30 X bullets.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Actually, legislation from several years ago forced us to use "unleaded" bullets and the Barnes TSX was the logical choice at the time. After years of shooting jacketed bullets by Barnes, Hornady, Nosler, and Sierra my first attempt with the TSX showed not only higher velocity, but a much higher POI. Depending on the caliber some shots hit the 100 yd target as much as 9" above the black. Small groups, but very high. Since then I have adjusted my scope sighted rifles to use those bullets exclusively, with most sighted to be 3" high at 100 yds and pretty much dead on at 200. Iron sights adjusted similarly or old fashioned "Kentucky Windage" used. Aim low, hit high. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

for me they're more accurate than lead or jacketed, especially when you get out there to 200 yards or so. Haven't hit anything with them, but they are great bullets.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

Post by preventec47 »

The thing I notice about the TSX bullets is that they are tough and hold together
but the mushroom size is not as big as other premium bullets. That I think
explains somewhat why they penetrate so well.
In my situation after shoulder surgery, I switched to 110 gr TSX in full power
7mm Rem Mag to reduce the recoil substantially ( which it did !).
At 3500 fps I was concerned any bullet would fragment but the TSX does
hold together but it can shed the forward portion of the petals that get
peeled back.. I think it is because of the smaller mushroomed bullet that
the lighter bullets penetrate as much as heavier bullets.
Regarding the 175 grain 7mm TSX, I assume it would shoot through
an elephant.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

They retain as much or more weight than the next size up. I think that the 110 in a 7 Mag is overdriving the strength of even these bullets. More specifically on legality - they are condor zone legal. Not all of Cali is condor zone.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Old Savage wrote:They retain as much or more weight than the next size up. I think that the 110 in a 7 Mag is overdriving the strength of even these bullets. More specifically on legality - they are condor zone legal. Not all of Cali is condor zone.

Not yet, but it has been expanded. I can recall seeing wild condors east of Fresno 30 yrs ago. When I see one over Tahoe I'll start to worry. They are all over the San Benito ranch, with "wranglers" following 'em. :)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

This condor preservation program is the most ridiculous effort along with reinstalling the wolves.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...