MOVIES - Cowboys and Aliens?????

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Re: MOVIES - Cowboys and Aliens?????

Post by MrMurphy »

I liked it more than I thought I would.

As to serious westerns, they said that when Unforgiven came out, more or less....and it did fine.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

I saw the trailers, but I don't think I'm inclined to go. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well, it came out on Blu-Ray and the kid bought it. Watched it this evening. Great movie. A "B" movie title, a "B" movie set... "A" list producers, actors and viola! "A" list Movie! I gotta hand it to them... they could have done any of number of things with the concept, camped it up, tried for comedy, or some mix of the above. I believe they hit the "play it straight"... like, it could have happened, and let the acting carry the movie. If you don't have an imagination... well, it's originality put it over the top.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I'm looking forward to watching it again on HBO etc. Fun movie!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

The wife of man that works for me originally broke the horse Harrison Ford rode in the movie. She had sold the horse and I am not sure if it was directly or not to a supplier of movie horses. Anyway, the story goes that Ford liked the horse so much that he purchased it from the supplier, so I guess Ford is the current owner, now.

I believe his wife said that the horse is really a Grullo, but it was actually dyed a different color for the movie.

Anyway, I seen the movie, and it was entertaining, but probably not a big favorite of mine, but hey at least it's a Western (sorta). :D
NRA Life Member, Patron
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Lastmohecken wrote:The wife of man that works for me originally broke the horse Harrison Ford rode in the movie. She had sold the horse and I am not sure if it was directly or not to a supplier of movie horses. Anyway, the story goes that Ford liked the horse so much that he purchased it from the supplier, so I guess Ford is the current owner, now.
As I was typing my post last nite, we were watching the "extras" that're on the Blu-Ray version... one was an interview with Ford, and he bought both the horse he rode and the one rode by Daniel Craig. (Who, btw, certainly reminds me of Steve McQueen).
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT..Cowboys and Aliens?????

Post by pdawg.shooter »

J Miller wrote:
Meeteetse wrote:The movie is based on someone's book and Stephen Spielberg thinks enough of it to be involved. Let's face it, no one is going to make a serious western any longer, so why not have some fun. I would rather it be cowboys than fraternity guys and babes at the mall. . . . . :D :roll:
I guess you skipped over True Grit 2010. That was about as serious a western as they ever made.

And one of the most disappointing I have ever set through. A really poor rip off of the original.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Usually when they write the book after the make the movie, the book suffers. Having read (well listened to) the book, this isn't the case. I still like to read (listen to) books rather than see movies as it let's me be the master of how things appear in my mind. Often after reading a book, then seeing a movie, I feel like the movie maker got it all wrong.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

I just saw it a few nights ago (pay per view) and liked it a lot. The very first scene before the opening title sure set the stage for the rest of the movie. I had to rewind it to catch everything that happened.

I never actually counted, and I may be wrong, but it sure seemed like barron's son had a "6+" shooter during his drunken street rampage. Reminded me of Doc getting three shots out of his double barrel in Tombstone. Stupid little things my engineering mind worries about...making sure they reload when necessary :?

And thorughout the movie the gunshots sure were quiet. They sounded like 22 shorts. They needed much more boom.

But all-in-all it was indeed very entertaining and I'll see it again, probably several times.
Chad
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

just watched it. was worth watching for sure.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Griff wrote:
Lastmohecken wrote:The wife of man that works for me originally broke the horse Harrison Ford rode in the movie. She had sold the horse and I am not sure if it was directly or not to a supplier of movie horses. Anyway, the story goes that Ford liked the horse so much that he purchased it from the supplier, so I guess Ford is the current owner, now.
As I was typing my post last nite, we were watching the "extras" that're on the Blu-Ray version... one was an interview with Ford, and he bought both the horse he rode and the one rode by Daniel Craig. (Who, btw, certainly reminds me of Steve McQueen).
Wow! I would like to see that, I just might have to puchase that movie after all.
NRA Life Member, Patron
grouse
Levergunner 1.0

Post by grouse »

Fun movie,Wife & I saw at the theather first week it came out.
We had a good time, eating popcorn & cheering for the cowboy's,bad guys & Indians.
What a hoot. :lol: :lol: :lol: