OK - I'm Officially Old

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

OK - I'm Officially Old

Post by COSteve »

Yesterday, after talking to my investment guy and tax guy we all agreed now that I'm 64+, it was time for me to apply for Social Security Retirement Benefits instead of waiting till 66, so I went online and filled out the form. So, starting January 2012, I'm 'on the dole' and will receive my first SS payment the second Wednesday of each month. My first check will come in February for January eligibility.

Last night my wife told me, "You're now Officially Old." :(
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OK - I'm Officially Old

Post by 2X22 »

Whew! You had me worried there.... :shock:

But now I know I have 13 years to go before I am officially old :mrgreen:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Whippersnapper. :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep, the wife & I had that conversation several weeks back... tho' I still have a few years to go. However, I also figured out that I'd need to win the lotto in order to retire in the manner to which I'd like to become accustomed!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

my deepest regrets for your loss...your youth will be dearly missed... :)
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

HA! I have been on the dole for 4 years and medicare, too. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

At least you might see a check. I figure by the time I'm ready, another 11 years, they'll be passing out I.O.U.'s
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Been there done that about 8 1/2 years ago. It`s time to start getting back what you put in. Life is a gamble. I belived in getting it early as I could. You have to live quite old to make up for waiting. Everyones prospects are different. Congradulations. I remember a guy at lockheed that dropped over dead loading his toolbox in his car the day he retired!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I could be old in a year and a half (I'm 60) but as addicted to money as I am, I'll prolly work a few more years or so. :cry:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

4 years and counting for me. Had a really frustrating day at work yesterday, it was cold and raining and I was working outside. Got home and asked my wife why I was still doing this! She reminded me we have three kids in college.

I shut up and went to bed.

Don
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

No way S.S. will cover my gun/shooting/reloading/casting/hunting habit. Guess I will just work till I die!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

pdawg.shooter wrote:No way S.S. will cover my gun/shooting/reloading/casting/hunting habit. Guess I will just work till I die!
Same here - add mortgage and practice-debt to the hobby stuff though. . . :(

Good news is - I'm self-employed, and I actually enjoy my job.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kevin in nh
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kevin in nh »

Other than the Kubota I bought last May I own everything, house cars truck etc, but I don't think with taxes and everything else that I will ever get to retire and will have to work til I die.....my pay has gone up but no where as much as everything else.......if I could I would retire in a minute as work is a means to an end and I would like to tend my garden, work on my house, hunt and shoot even if its just cheap .22s........life is way to short.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

We don't get full retirement from our Co until 65 anyway, so I plan on working until 66 when I am eligible for SS. I will be 58 in Feb; 8 more years, it will be here before I know it.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have to work until I am 72 to get one-half as much from S.S. as I earn now.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

10-12 years for me. As jobs go I enjoy mine most of the time. It's funny how as my buddies and I get closer to retirement our conversations have changed from conquring the world with cars, motorcycles, guns, and the ladies to now talking how we will make retirement happen, and how soon.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I retired once, now I'm just tired. :wink: Congrats on your decision.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Age is a relative thing, but by my lights you're a youngster. At least you got signed up during a year when there was a COLA. It's not much, but then it's better than 0 increase. If the country remains solvent, we may continue to collect. And, it shouldn't be considered an "entitlement"; we contributed to that fund for many years.

Welcome to the Codgers Forum !!! :)
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Congrats on your S.S.! I been getting mine for about a year and a half. Next year I get a 3.6% raise. Ain't much, but bigger than the raises I had been getting at my job!
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

11 years to go :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

# 1 - you are getting your own money back. And second - according to Aunt Clara you are not even close.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

CoSteve, welcome to the club, it's nice to be on the dole even though I still work part time. Just curious, you said you would get your check the second Wednesday of the Month and mine always comes on the fourth Wednesday of the month. Just wondered if they changed it. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

rodeo kid wrote:CoSteve, welcome to the club, it's nice to be on the dole even though I still work part time. Just curious, you said you would get your check the second Wednesday of the Month and mine always comes on the fourth Wednesday of the month. Just wondered if they changed it. God Bless.
I filled out the online form yesterday morning and a very pleasant woman called this morning and told me she was my 'case worker'. She said that I could actually start this month and get my first check in January but I said leave it like I applied for it so she told me that with direct deposit it will go into my account on the second Wednesday of each month.
Steve
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I didn't get around to retiring and collecting Social Security until I was 68 years old - the young (they all are now) lady's first question was, "What took you so long?".

I make no claim to being older than dirt - but - I am older than the Mt Rushmore Memorial mountain. It was in July, 1927 my folks were vacationing from Nebraska Sandhills in Custer State Park in the South Dakota Black Hills. President Coolidge was there to dedicate the bare mountain so G. Borglum could start carving faces there. First Lady Mrs Grace Coolidge was out on the front lawn of the Game Lodge (where they always stayed) visiting with any and all who wanted to stop and visit with her. Dad asked if he could take her picture and she was not only willing but, offered to hold their 11 month old son - saying she had a son named Jack also.

My mother never forgave me for being so interested in the Chow Chow dog Mrs Coolidge had to not look up for the picture.

I guess the secret service was busy doing what they were organized to do after the civil war - chasing counterfeit money and distributors - sure wouldn't happen today. Note the lack of any crowd.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Congrats. Figure I'll be lucky to ever see a dime of it.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Fantastic post OJ. Simply wonderful. :)

Best,
Oly
OJ wrote:I didn't get around to retiring and collecting Social Security until I was 68 years old - the young (they all are now) lady's first question was, "What took you so long?".

I make no claim to being older than dirt - but - I am older than the Mt Rushmore Memorial mountain. It was in July, 1927 my folks were vacationing from Nebraska Sandhills in Custer State Park in the South Dakota Black Hills. President Coolidge was there to dedicate the bare mountain so G. Borglum could start carving faces there. First Lady Mrs Grace Coolidge was out on the front lawn of the Game Lodge (where they always stayed) visiting with any and all who wanted to stop and visit with her. Dad asked if he could take her picture and she was not only willing but, offered to hold their 11 month old son - saying she had a son named Jack also.

My mother never forgave me for being so interested in the Chow Chow dog Mrs Coolidge had to not look up for the picture.

I guess the secret service was busy doing what they were organized to do after the civil war - chasing counterfeit money and distributors - sure wouldn't happen today. Note the lack of any crowd.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

OJ: That was a fabulous post!

Steve: I have three years and change to go ... hope I live that long.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

No way S.S. will cover my gun/shooting/reloading/casting/hunting habit. Guess I will just work till I die!
(And motorcycling...... ;-))
.......if I could I would retire in a minute as work is a means to an end and I would like to tend my garden, work on my house, hunt and shoot
I'm gonna have to work until I'm 67 to get a decent State pension, and then
until I'm 70 to get the full Social Security. (This State - Maine - is one of the
very few with the Social Security offset. :evil: :evil: ) I'd love to be able to quit
tomorrow, but I've two great kids to feed. 8)

-Stretch
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Geezerhood, by tradtion, starts at 65! Congratulations to all who have attained, or about to attain such a lofty status. Some geezers unfortunately have to work beyond this age. Others choose to. Then there are the rest of us. :lol:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

COSteve wrote:Yesterday, after talking to my investment guy and tax guy we all agreed now that I'm 64+, it was time for me to apply for Social Security Retirement Benefits instead of waiting till 66, so I went online and filled out the form. So, starting January 2012, I'm 'on the dole' and will receive my first SS payment the second Wednesday of each month. My first check will come in February for January eligibility.

Last night my wife told me, "You're now Officially Old." :(
Spend it and enjoy Steve!
Congrats!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

OJ wrote:I make no claim to being older than dirt - but - I am older than the Mt Rushmore Memorial mountain.
You may be older than the memorial, but I call BS on being older than the mountain.

:wink: :lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

At 74 I have been drawing for awhile, after all I started paying in to this mess in the 1950's. Sure do hope there is some left for those that have a ways to go yet.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

FWiedner wrote:
OJ wrote:I make no claim to being older than dirt - but - I am older than the Mt Rushmore Memorial mountain.
You may be older than the memorial, but I call BS on being older than the mountain.

Well - OK - true - but I'm old enough to have had the First Lady of the USA hug me in public - and I got away with it. How many here are old enough to qualify there ??

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

OJ wrote:
FWiedner wrote:

Well - OK - true - but I'm old enough to have had the First Lady of the USA hug me in public - and I got away with it. How many here are old enough to qualify there ??

Ok, maybe just me, but I would not want the First Lady(?) to hug me...private or anyplace else :twisted:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

COSteve as others have said, welcome to the club. I was in the same boat as you, just 5 months ahead of you. I retired in July at 64+. I hate the system of paying on Wednesday. It is based on what day of the month your birthday falls on. Mine is the 20th so my check comes on the 3rd Wednesday of the month, which sounds great but it is a different date each month. In my case the check can arrive on the 15 thru the 21 depending on how many days there were in the last month. Now if I can just get my bill collectors to agree to me paying them on a certain day and not a date I will be ok.
So much for my bi**hing. enjoy your new life.
when your enemy is within range so are you
jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

Congratulations! I reached the 65 milestone last spring and retired in the summer. So far, so good. You and I can console ourselves with the fact that we will not die young.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I will turn 66 in August. I plan to sign up for the dole a couple months prior to that and will most likely work part time for the outfit where I have worked for the last 10+ years.
:wink:
I have been paying in to SS full time since `66`. Time to get some of my money back. :D
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

checks all used to go out the third of each month. Then in order to spread out the load on banks, etc, they broke em into weekly runs based on either alphabet or SSAN blocks,
Certified gun nut
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote:I actually enjoy my job.

Don't believe I have EVER made that statement !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Congratulations. Passed that threshold two years ago. As much as we may complain, I get up ever morning and thank the Lord for allowing me another day on the green side of the grass. Now that I am officially retired, I don't know why I waited so long. It is by far the best time I have had since I got my first job 54 years ago. What the hell happened to the time?? There is nothing wrong with getting paid back for what you have put in. ENJOY!!
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Well that's a relief, I thought old was when I started getting mail from AARP. :D
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

BlaineG wrote:
OJ wrote:
FWiedner wrote:

Ok, maybe just me, but I would not want the First Lady(?) to hug me...private or anyplace else :twisted:
Well - OK - none of what I wrote was intended to be taken seriously -

OTOH, I think there was something neat - friendly - trusting - among other virtues - that the president's wife was out on the front lawn of the Game Lodge so she could visit with any tourists or others who wanted to stop and visit with her. A far cry from the way some president's family members seem the regard themselves as royalty - untouchable - well above a front lawn visit with "commoners" (spell "citizens" - or maybe even "employers"). I don't remember it but my folks said she was very friendly and gracious (no pun intended).

Wish we could get more people in the White House with that friendly attitude toward the "commoners" now and show it so sincerely - rather than expressing the view that "this is the first time I can honestly say I'm proud of my country" as one first lady did.

:D
Last edited by OJ on Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

I'm enjoying my retirement so far. My 43 years in public education went by quickly, although there were some really slow days!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

jackruff wrote:I'm enjoying my retirement so far. My 43 years in public education went by quickly, although there were some really slow days!
I hear you. I was in the defense industry for 41.5 and it's hard to believe how fast the time went.
Steve
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

I'm 48 now. will have to work till i'm 67 for full payment of s.s. Nah :roll: hope to retire when i am 62. I own all my stuff and hope to stay that way if i can. good luck on your retirement. Don't worry about old age, it wont last long.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Good decision; a guy at work decided to wait until he was 67, then he retired, collected two checks and died.

I figured that if I retired early - 8 years from now - it would take me until I was 85 to lose out. Plus you have your freedom when you are younger and can still do things. I think it will be easier to accept old age if I have already done the things I always wanted to do.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Rafe Covington
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rafe Covington »

Guess that means I will be old in April, wife called me an old fanny burp for years.

Rafe
Death Before Dishonor
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Well I certainly have a few years to worry about wheather or not I will retire. However, I have seen a trend of people that die within 10 yrs of retiring, therefore, I DONT PLAN TO RETIRE!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

piller wrote:I have to work until I am 72 to get one-half as much from S.S. as I earn now.
I just finished crunching the numbers & I'll be 109 years of age when I'm finally free of debt.

Time to buy another levergun. ;)
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

When I had to retire my income was cut exactly in half. Hope you are having a better go at it . Money doesn't go very far with Drs,meds, breakdowns , plus the body can't do the physical work needed instead of calling a repair man.

BUT I really like sleeping late , and just driving by the gate at work without stopping .
Now that's something . :D :twisted: