Legendary Frontiersman '94 38-55 brass?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mad mucus
Levergunner 1.0

Legendary Frontiersman '94 38-55 brass?

Post by mad mucus »

G'day & best wishes for the new year, 2012.

I have a deposit down on one of these Winchesters in VG to EXC condition with a Lee die set and presently going through the hoops of local laws to gain possession of it. So, I have time to gather loading info and the components required to get happening with this caliber that has had me intrigued for so long.

I'm able to purchase the Starline brass I have decided apon but am unsure as to which length is most suitable for this particular rifle, standard or long?
If this info is unattainable, I guess I will have to wait to measure and possibly miss out on the brass.

I will be shooting predominantly black powder loads using a larger diameter BigLube 38-55-255 bullet (which holds sufficient lube to continue shooting all day without cleaning or loss of accuracy), fffg and Federal LR primers.

Mark
"Outlaw firearms and only the outlaws will have them."
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Legendary Frontiersman '94 38-55 brass?

Post by JerryB »

I am not sure but I believe that you need the short brass. I think the old rifles used the long brass. You had best check with Kirk or some of the others.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I also shoot a 38-55 and my thought is..buy the longer brass and you can trim it to EXACTLY the length your rifle needs/wants. Much harder to make the short stuff longer. Tom ...and you will love that caliber it is becoming my favorite lever caliber. 9-10 grains of Unique :mrgreen:
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I've got one (Lengendary Frontiersmen) and I hate to say it, but I haven't even shot it. So I can't say what length of brass to use. I bought some off another levergunner and it's the long stuff.
Old Law Dawg
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

kimwcook wrote:I've got one (Lengendary Frontiersmen) and I hate to say it, but I haven't even shot it. So I can't say what length of brass to use. I bought some off another levergunner and it's the long stuff.
Kim,

I talked to Mike Venturino last week and he said he hadn't heard from you on the letter for that Sharps, do you have his information???
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I believe I have it somewhere. If not I can get it off his site. I'll try him again.
Old Law Dawg
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I have a late model Winchester in 38-55, and also had for years a Chief Crazy Horse commerative in 38-55. I just use the current production Winchester brand brass (which is short) and the RCBS 37-250-FN gas check bullet with no problems.

Sometimes I wonder if too much emphasis is being put on brass length. The latest Lyman reloading handbook has a section on loading for the new Italian-made 1876 Winchesters, and recommends shortening .45-60 brass from 1.89" to 1.81" to allow using the crimp groove in the Lyman 457191 bullet. I was having trouble with the bullets sucking back into the case on the 45-60 ammo I was loading with said bullet (since I had to crimp above the groove). Shortening the brass cured the problem without affecting accuracy.

If I were you, I would not worry too much about brass length in your Winchester.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I believe you need the long brass. The long is standard the standard is short, too short. The short brass came about to minimize production cost as they could use the same buttons/blanks as the .30-30. THEN the die companies went with it. You can load the long brass in dies made for the short brass but not the other way around. I know from personal experience. These Winchesters were given the long chambers. Frankly, I am not certain any guns have been given short chambers. I use the long brass, preferably, but have used the short brass. Sometimes, bigger bullets need to be put in the long brass to chamber correctly. It is counter-intuitive but works.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
mad mucus
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mad mucus »

Thanks fellas

Happy New Year!
"Outlaw firearms and only the outlaws will have them."