Red Squirrel's

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Red Squirrel's

Post by Marvin S »

Finally getting the 25WCF shooting like I want. Went out today and got three nice Squirrels. Rifle is a mod 53 Win with marbles tang sight, load was 85gr Ranch Dog GC TL with alox 3.5gr Win 231 and a Rem small rifle primer. Fired four shots total at these, the last Squirrel was a clean miss on the first shot and a quick lever and a solid hit on the second. I'm highly impressed with the killing power of the 25 with the RD bullet. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Red Squirrel's

Post by Pitchy »

Nice shootin 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very nice. Sounds like it is shooting well
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Nice! Those little buggers are "Shoot on Sight" around our cabin in PA!

Destructive creatures and they'll keep you up all night running around the attic!

Get all you can!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Grrrrrrrr ! ! - CUT THAT STUFF OUT !

Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Got em all dressed and soaking now. Now mulling over recipes.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Really fine looking rifle, Marvin: that 53 is what I consider to be "perfection" in a rifle. And nice shooting there. Let's see --- 3.5 grains of 231: is that what you'd call a "cat sneeze" load?
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Marvin S wrote:Got em all dressed and soaking now. Now mulling over recipes.
I'd give up deer season if Washington could have a viable population of big, juicy fox squill.....
Back in the mid-west, I'd pressure cook the meat off the bones and make stew or soup.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Nice shooting and a high class rifle
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I miss squirrel hunting too... :( --when I was a kid the reds were considered destructive and we were encouraged to reduce the surplus population--looks like you got a good start...by the way you didn't miss that 3rd shot was to get the squirrel's attention--that way you'd have a better shot--nice levergun and cartridge... :)
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

Great photo Marvin.
We've always called the red squirrels Fox squirrels.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Those are big. Our Red squirrels are smaller than grays by a long shot, just a size over chipmunks really.
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

Leverdude wrote:Those are big. Our Red squirrels are smaller than grays by a long shot, just a size over chipmunks really.

They call those little red squirrels "Boomers" over in Appalachia. I have never hunted them they are so small.

I have killed a pile of big fox squirrels though. They like areas with row crops and field edges. I don't think I have ever seen one in the deep woods.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

TNBigBore wrote:
Leverdude wrote:Those are big. Our Red squirrels are smaller than grays by a long shot, just a size over chipmunks really.

They call those little red squirrels "Boomers" over in Appalachia. I have never hunted them they are so small.

I have killed a pile of big fox squirrels though. They like areas with row crops and field edges. I don't think I have ever seen one in the deep woods.

Hi Neal, good to see you & hope you have a great New Year. I'v shot a bunch of the little red ones as pests, not much meat on them. We dont have big reds or Fox squirrels here. Just grays & little red ones.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

Around here (Missouri Ozarks) the smaller gray squirrels hang out in urban areas while the larger fox squirrels like rurals area with older larger trees.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

In N IN by Lake Michigan we had Fox Squirrels, Flying Squirrels and a very few Red squirrels. The Fox squirrels were tamable and came in multiple color phases including Jet Black.

This one would eat out of my hand and occasionally sit on my shoulder...

I was "this close" to teaching it to climb the handrail and ring the doorbell for Cheerios before I left.

Didn't keep me from silent sniping (Super Colibri) some of its neighbors though... :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

2ndovc wrote:Nice! Those little buggers are "Shoot on Sight" around our cabin in PA!

Destructive creatures and they'll keep you up all night running around the attic!

Get all you can!

jb 8)
Yup same here. Like another poster stated up in NY they're are not much bigger than a chipmunk and aren't worth the effort of saving for consumption.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Those are Fox Squirrels. And if you do anything but fry them up in a skillet, you should not be allowed to hunt squirrels ever again.

Unless they are old, big males. Then I usually give them to Dad, he makes Hasenfeffer out of them which I do not like.

Nothing better than fried squirrel. Man alive, been eating corn and nuts for several months!