250-3000 with 60g bullets?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JeffG
Levergunner 1.0

250-3000 with 60g bullets?

Post by JeffG »

Hello All,
I've got a Savage 99H (short barrel, 14 twist) that is having accuracy trouble with 87g and 75g bullets. Does anyone have experience with Hornady flat nose bullets in this caliber?

I know these bullets are meant for slower cartridges but I thought it was worth a try as a coyote load.
There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle

-Albert Einstein
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 250-3000 with 60g bullets?

Post by BigSky56 »

Jeff a 87 gr was made for that gun in a 14" twist barrel before you change bullets take the forearm wood off and shoot it for a group. if you want a bullet that wont tear up the hide use the sierra match king its like shooting a FMJ. If that gun groups with the wood off it just needs a proper bedding to keep the groups good. danny
jager3
Levergunner

Post by jager3 »

I used to load a '99R in .250Sav with 60gr Hornady bullets. I have since lost the reloading data, but I recall that the most accurate load was with IMR3031 at just over 3100fps. I fired a 5 shot string at 100 yards and was amazed at how accurate that load was; however, I wasn't too sure how useful it would be at longer distances because of bullet's poor ballistic coefficient. I also loaded the same bullet to a reduced velocity of about 1200 to 1400fps utilizing "Kapok" to take up the "dead case space" and a charge 8 to 10gr of Unique. That load was useful on squirrel and rabbits, while printing POA at 50 yards without sight adjustment. (The rifle I used had a 1:14 twist.)
You might also try Sierra's 90HPBT (Game King), which I've found to be accurate in most .250's. +1 on BigSky's forearm suggestion, as well as checking to see that the buttstock bolt is good and tight. Good luck!
JeffG
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JeffG »

thanks Gentlemen,
That's encouraging Jager3, my intended use is for a coyote load under 150yds. I have a double negative on the forearm distortion because this is a barrel band model.
There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle

-Albert Einstein
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I had a 99F in 250 that I had to shoot 87 grain bullets in because of the 1 in 14 twist but it was one of the most accurate guns I have ever owned, especially at long range. Don't remember, and can't find my notes but I do remember backing off on the charge a half grain to make it quit sticking cases.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

If your Savage 99 won't shoot 87 grains bullets, the problem IN NOT the bullet weight/length.