What the heck? New 10_22 rant

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

What the heck? New 10_22 rant

Post by Streetstar »

Just picked up a new synthetic stainless 10_22, I wanted an all weather plinker that was low maintenance and much lighter than my 10 lb target model
Plastic trigger guard and barrel band! :o whoah!

I am surprised Ruger is doing this, I know that its a rack grade plinker, but still is a bummer to have to fix these things with aftermarket parts on a brand new rifle
I bought it anyway, the price was very good, but I am shopping for a new barrel band and trigger guard.
My only thought was perhaps ruger just assumes the end user is going to trick these out a little and doesnt put much effort into parts they think will just be thrown away, but I just wanted a trim light 22 as was originally intended
Not the end of the world, but was just surprised to see Ruger join the "cheapskate" movement
----- Doug
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What the heck? New 10_22 rant

Post by kimwcook »

Don't like no plastic on my guns. Took me a long time to even warm up to the Glockamatics. Personally, I'd rather pay a little more for metal. Even if it is MIM/cast.
Old Law Dawg
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Heck, if they were to make those parts from metal they might last for a generation or more and be passed to another shooter at some time in the future. That would deprive Ruger of numerous aftermarket parts sales and maybe even keep them from selling another new (disposable) gun to that heir.

What kinda consumer are you anyway?

Wanting something that will last... sheesh... :roll:

:wink: :mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Doug,
Good luck with your new toy! (I bet it will be a great little shooter) :wink:
Hard to beat for what you want. Keep us posted how it shoots.

Can't believe I am saying this but as of late I am into this "it's all about extreme portability/light weight/but still being reliable weapons.(yep,plastic stuff)
I know they don't have the same look/feel but man those plastic(Zytel)stuff is something pretty remarkable.(even in the receivers) now with the rifles :o
Ever since I switched shooting at matches from a NM SA M1 Garand to a (plastic)Colt Match HBAR and my scores rose 30 points within 2 weeks I have been hooked.
Then look at Glock-------The G17 shooting 300,000 rds and still going strong :shock:
After that (tiny)P32----Held one in my hand (6 Ozs)and game over I have been hooked ever since.
Now the Sub2K's and the SU16's :oops:

What have I become???------------------------A plastic loving junkie :oops: :shock: :cry:
Don't get me wrong I also still love the fine crafted wood/metal stuff too!
But yours an all weather stainless synthetic stocked do all gun and cheap to shoot and with it's hi capacity capability, a pretty deadly little unit, that ===== priceless! Fine choice!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Doug,

All those plastic parts just add to the "all weather, low maintenance" features you wanted.
I know, I don't want the plastic either.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

You know, I'm a traditionalist. Wood and steel. I have decided that while blued steel is pretty, stainless is more forgiving of the environment. So, I accepted wood and stainess steel, though I'll buy blued steel for range guns, or of course old Smith's.

I picked up a synthetic/stainless 10-22 a couple of years ago with the intention of putting a wood stock on it. Never happened. After using it for some time I've decided to stick with the plastic stock. It isn't pretty, but it does take a beating. Besides, I have many "pretty" rifles, and this way I don't have to beat them up.

As to the plastic on the barrel band and trigger guard, It's likely they will last as long, or longer than steel. They might get marred, but the same abuse would likely gouge steel, as well.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

All the new 10/22s have plastic trigger guards, not just the all weather types.

Times they are a changin. :cry:
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

If people would buy the expensive guns then Ruger would make only the expensive guns. Now, to survive, Ruger will make good guns cheap and let the guys with money to burn trick them out. Ruger is producing less expensive guns for more niches all the time. They believe it it is what the customer wants and if those guns sell, well, I guess they were right.

Now, me, I thought I might like a 10/22 so I'm looking to get one with a little age on it... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

The so-called 'plastic' on the Glocks is a mite tougher than you can imagine...just try gouging it, or trimming an edge with a razor blade.

(full disclosure, I own more and one Glock and I've got the same stainless Ruger 10/22 that started this thread)

Seriously though, while I'm not a fan of plastic , some of it is correct for the what it's used for, engineering-wise. Take a hammer to those 'plastic' parts and you may be surprised.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I am not a plastic guy but I have come to grudgingly accept that plastic makes sense a lot of times. It doesn't rust, is light, usually plenty tough, and cheap. On a 10-22 if the gun shoots well it's not a big deal. I bet the plastic trigger group on the 10-22 will last a long time.
deafrn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by deafrn »

I hadn't looked at a new 10/22 for a long time, but when someone mentioned the new plastic trigger housing and barrel band, I admit that I was surprised. This coming from a guy whose first gun purchase was a new Remington Nylon 77!

(Why I enjoyed - and still fondly remember - a polymer rifle yet resisted Glocks as long as I did remains a mystery to me.)

I don't think much of the new crop as heirlooms or investments, but some of them do make dandy working tools.
deafrn

"I wasn't ignoring you, I just couldn't hear you. Okay, NOW I'm ignoring you."
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

It's all determined by what the public wants. 95% of the bubbas who go into Walmart or the local gunstore to by a .22 want "just a 22" as cheaply as they can buy it. They are not marksmen, they just want to blast some tin cans or whatever and dont really care what it is as long as it's inexpensive, after all, it is "just a .22". If it's a semiauto so they can spray and pray without bothering to aim, so much the better.
Most of them have never seen or shot a quality .22 or even know they exist. The rest of us, the 5%, look down with scorn on these cheapie .22's but they are what turns the bottom line black at the gun manufacturer's account's desk.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

While not for the purist, I'll say Ruger's plastic parts will likely outlast us all. They don't affect shape, form, function or accuracy. So I'm good with plastic. Plus, a scope looks a lot better on the 10/22s than on my levers, which means I'm a lot more accurate with them.

I have three that shoot amazingly with Eley and Wolf Target ammo.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

meanc wrote:While not for the purist, I'll say Ruger's plastic parts will likely outlast us all. They don't affect shape, form, function or accuracy. So I'm good with plastic. Plus, a scope looks a lot better on the 10/22s than on my levers, which means I'm a lot more accurate with them.
Yep. Same here. I usually take the barrel band off anyway.

Like Hobie said, they make what we buy...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

meanc wrote:While not for the purist, I'll say Ruger's plastic parts will likely outlast us all. They don't affect shape, form, function or accuracy. So I'm good with plastic. Plus, a scope looks a lot better on the 10/22s than on my levers, which means I'm a lot more accurate with them.

I have three that shoot amazingly with Eley and Wolf Target ammo.
If Glock is any indication, the plastic will be more durable than the aluminum it replaces.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

One of the Gun TV shows were at the Ruger factory and they were demonstrating a drop test with the new trigger gaurd. The metal one would break but the plastic one would absorb the blow. I've had plastic triiger guard on my Mossberg for ovber 20 years without a problem. Doesn't mean you have to like it. But plastic doesn't have to mean cheap it is can also mean durable. I like metal parts also. I've found if they don't build what you want ,you have to build your own. Plenty of 10 22 parts out there. Good Luck!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

If Glock is any indication, the plastic will be more durable than the aluminum it replaces.
I understand that sentiment, but the Glock was designed from the onset to be a polymer pistol, (and I have a couple and like them)
But messing with the 10_22 ranks up there with usrac putting receiver safeties on model 94s or SW putting sideplate locks on new revolvers (well, ok maybe not that bad. At least the little rifles trigger mechanism can be swapped out if need be)
I likely will not mess with it at all other than a hogue stock , which will rectify the barrel band issue and improve the handling for me. Diving into it too much will take away from my original concept of having a inexpensive backdoor plinker
Further research told me the reason for the switch is the casting molds for the trigger housing were worn out and giving inconsistent qc issues. Plastic reportedly is giving a more consistent end result from a manufacturing standpoint.
----- Doug
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

My Cabela's special 10/22 is one accurate little bugger even with a Tasco reddot. It has a plastic trigger guard, plastic barrel band, plastic butt plate, and cheap birch stock. I've added a polymer buffer,and upgrade hammer to get a lighter pull, but this is the most worked smokepole tool I have. It sur nuf likes to talk to coons and rats!

rimrock
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

I can understand the sentiment both ways.

There's nothing like a good forged and milled piece of steel, accompanied by good walnut.

On the other side of the fence though, Ruger is in the business of selling firearms. Remember a lot of the discussions about Ruger using *cast* parts? It was novel at the time, but they perfected it to where they can make an economical and sturdy firearm.

Same as these 'plastic' parts. Were Ruger to go with stamped metal (yuch!) or even cast and milled, that $170 stainless 10/22 (think that's what I paid for mine) is going to be $340. So yes, I am one of those bubbas (no offense taken) who want a cheap, accurate rifle.

The stainless one, by the way is my all weather don't-give-a-darn-if-it-gets-wet-or-dirty gun. I've got another 10/22 with the two inch stock pad extender, tech sights, proper U.S. GI sling - it's my Appleseed gun and I hope to put it to use come this spring or summer.

Economies of firearms manufacturing today sucks. But you gotta do what you gotta do to make a product you can sell.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Like the old song said "don't give me no plastic saddle when I ride,I want to feel the leather". I think it was Mel Tillis.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I agree. Ruger knows what they are doing with one of theid flagship products. So many options now on stock configurations. Jusr smart of them to offer the 10/22 with as low of a cost base (stock) so it isn't a big deal to replace it.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I fully understand the dislike of "plastic" guns and gun parts. I too can apperciate a good deep blue on steel and a finly grained, well finished walnut stock, but I look at it the same way I look at turkey hotdogs. Turkey hotdogs are not a substitute for good ole Oscar Myer weiners. They are what they are; turkey hotdogs. Polymer frame/parts handguns (and synthetic stocked rifles) are not substitutes for steel/wood handguns, they are what they are; polymer frame handguns. To me turkey hotdogs (or carob or plastic guns) are not a threat to all beef hotdogs (or milk chocolate or all steel handguns). They are what they are...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

The plastic doesn't turn me off after all I have four Remington 66. The 10-22 turns me off. I have one I keep for guests who 'don't like plastic guns'. All the 66 outshoot and are more reliable than the 10-22. I have always felt that the reason the 10-22 became so popular was that it was so amenable to customizing. If it wasn't so easy to modify the stocks, magazines, etc., etc I doubt it would ever have achieved its current level of popularity.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

BAGTIC wrote:The plastic doesn't turn me off after all I have four Remington 66. The 10-22 turns me off. I have one I keep for guests who 'don't like plastic guns'. All the 66 outshoot and are more reliable than the 10-22. I have always felt that the reason the 10-22 became so popular was that it was so amenable to customizing. If it wasn't so easy to modify the stocks, magazines, etc., etc I doubt it would ever have achieved its current level of popularity.
Well I'm not wanting to turn this into a "10/22 rules, everything else sucks" thread but I'm still gonna call bunk on this one. How long was the 66 made? Now how about the 10/22? And the 10/22 aftermarket upgrades are a fairly recent addition with almost all coming around in the last 20 years or so, most of those in the last 10. If 10% of them made in the last 10 years see an aftermarket part I'd be shocked let alone all those made since the 60's. I not gonna call the 66 and bad gun or any worse than the 10/22 for I have never shot the 66 let alone seen one. Heck, the world would be mighty boring if we all liked the same thing. But never the less that post is bunk.

I don't like the Ruger plastic parts but I understand the whys and don't put much blame on Ruger. Heck, most of the other .22 makers made the switch to plastic parts long before them and by all reports durability is not an issue. I do have a problem with Ruger trying to sell this as an upgrade though. Whether it be the drop test or their company line that declares that they did it because it's better, to say it is a load of dog do. But then again, since when does marketing and honesty go hand in hand.

I will also add that their flat, paint like finish they put on their barrels for a few years was God awful. IIRC, I think they've gone back to bare metal though.

LK
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Since i posted this, i have finally gotten around to shooting the little rifle ---- I had buyer's remorse and wasn't even sure i wanted to shoot it until i changed the trigger and housing out.

I caved in --- truthfully -- i can't tell the trigger is plastic when i shoot it . It just feels like a typical 5 -6 lb trigger that one would associate with a base-price 10/22.
The irons were on, and i mounted a small variable "carrying handle" so i could see what it does at 50 yards
I was not getting one hole groups like i would expect out of my 10/22T, but i was also not shooting Eley ammo, just some cheap bulk pack hp Remington stuff -- It was spinning a pretty small little spinning target setup i have everytime as long as i didnt pull it too much (takes concentration when the trigger pull is more than the gun weighs)

Good enough to be entertaining -- the trigger takes some getting used to, but for a "bulk pack backyard blaster" it will likely be good enough. If i change it out, it will be because of the heavy trigger pull -- but i have enough other projects already
----- Doug
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Street car, you don't have to change out the whole plastic trigger group to get a decent trigger on your gun. The Volqaurtzen hammers work just as good on the plastic housings as they did on the metal and you'll end up with a decent 2-3lbs pull for $35 or so.

LK
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

L_Kilkenny wrote:Street car, you don't have to change out the whole plastic trigger group to get a decent trigger on your gun. The Volqaurtzen hammers work just as good on the plastic housings as they did on the metal and you'll end up with a decent 2-3lbs pull for $35 or so.

LK

I may do something like that ---- that would still keep the price reasonable -- i have a bad habit of trying to turn 2 and 300 dollar guns into 600 dollar guns sometimes :lol:
----- Doug
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

You want a lighter trigger just replace the trigger return spring. Pull that spring out and check trigger pull without fighting that heavy spring. The trigger is just fine , but the return spring pushing on the back of the trigger needs to be lightened. I beleive you can cut down a ballpoint pen spring to a better weight of pull.
vonfatman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by vonfatman »

I have been a 10/22 fan for a while. I had a stock stainless with a black composite stock...for a about 2 days....a friend wanted it and I passed it on to him.

Since then (3-4 years ago) I decided I'd wait on an older 10/22....I wanted a walnut stock, metal parts n' pieces.

I found this one last year (circa 1974). I got a decent trigger installed (it does not matter how old the 10/22...they all need a decent trigger IMHO).

It's great. I use the TI 25 round mags and blast until the cows come in! I have a number of .22 rifles....this one gets lots of range use.

Bob

"Onward thru the Fog"
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

The high capacity magazine upgrades started almost as soon as the 10-22 was introduced. I suspect they had a great influence on sales for those inclined to load 30-50 rounds just to see how fast they could empty them.
win7094M1
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win7094M1 »

To follow up on the last post... Weren't there large capacity drum mags made for the 10/22 around twenty years ago? I would suspect emptying one of these quickly many times would be hard on the stock barrel.
Winchester M94 30-30 (1980)
Winchester M70 Westerner 30-06 (1982)
Winchester M1 Garand (1942)
Too many others to list - hope to add more levers soon.