New Ruger American rifle (I done seen one)& other new Rugers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

New Ruger American rifle (I done seen one)& other new Rugers

Post by vancelw »

I know the new Ruger American rifle has been discussed here before.

I went to the Dallas Safari Club convention Saturday and Ruger had a booth.
I wasn't very enthused with the new rifle from what I saw in the reviews and specs.
But after getting to handle one. . .I'm more than a "little" interested.
Trigger pull was VERY nice. Lightweight rifle. Great entry level rifle.
Ruger rep said they'd eventually be available in most calibers and should start shipping in mid January
I forgot to ask if they were going to offer a stainless version. I like wood and steel to look at, but for usefulness I like stainless and polymer.

Also handled the new LCR22, SR22, and SP101 in .22. I like the SR22. It's an improvement on the Walther SP22. Ambidexterous safety and magazine release. No Loaded chamber indicator flag :D My only beef was the magazine disconnect safety :x Rep said they had to put it on to get the pistol legal for certain states.
I wasn't impressed with the LCR22. Too much of a traditionalist I guess.

Finally got to coon-finger an SR1911. If I ever see one for sale, I'll be broke again. It may be a while before I see one of them is stock somewhere.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Win9410
Levergunner

Re: New Ruger American rifle (I done seen one)& other new Rugers

Post by Win9410 »

Vancelw, there had been some rumblings that Ruger would introduce a left-hand 77/22. Did you notice any new offerings in left-hand? Thanks, Matt.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Win9410 wrote:Vancelw, there had been some rumblings that Ruger would introduce a left-hand 77/22. Did you notice any new offerings in left-hand? Thanks, Matt.
No, I didn't notice. But, that doesn't mean one wasn't there. There were so many booths I didn't linger at any particular one for very long.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Great, another lightweight rifle. How about a real rifle with some heft!
Ruger should be making new rifles, looks like they quit the shot gun business.
Old man Ruger flipping around in his grave that is for sure. If I had the money, would buy it, and get it Ruger back on track.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

vancelw wrote:I know the new Ruger American rifle has been discussed here before.

I went to the Dallas Safari Club convention Saturday and Ruger had a booth.
I wasn't very enthused with the new rifle from what I saw in the reviews and specs.
But after getting to handle one. . .I'm more than a "little" interested.
Trigger pull was VERY nice. Lightweight rifle. Great entry level rifle.
Ruger rep said they'd eventually be available in most calibers and should start shipping in mid January
I forgot to ask if they were going to offer a stainless version. I like wood and steel to look at, but for usefulness I like stainless and polymer.

Also handled the new LCR22, SR22, and SP101 in .22. I like the SR22. It's an improvement on the Walther SP22. Ambidexterous safety and magazine release. No Loaded chamber indicator flag :D My only beef was the magazine disconnect safety :x Rep said they had to put it on to get the pistol legal for certain states.
I wasn't impressed with the LCR22. Too much of a traditionalist I guess.

Finally got to coon-finger an SR1911. If I ever see one for sale, I'll be broke again. It may be a while before I see one of them is stock somewhere.
I really hope Ruger introduces a commander length 1911. Boy would that be sweet!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Forgive the ignorance, I'm new here. What does "coonfinger" mean? :?:
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Just running your hands all over it looking at it, old southern talk, ya heah?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

jnyork wrote:Forgive the ignorance, I'm new here. What does "coonfinger" mean? :?:
You ever seen a coon that's curious about something, or is picking something up to give it a good look? It picks it up, turns it every which way, runs it's fingers over it, and looks it over real good. Thus the term "coonfinger".
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

Post by afish4570 »

Wish list.....Ruger American in 35 Whelen. Only can dream.afish4570 :roll: :roll:
afish4570
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

shooter wrote:
jnyork wrote:Forgive the ignorance, I'm new here. What does "coonfinger" mean? :?:
You ever seen a coon that's curious about something, or is picking something up to give it a good look? It picks it up, turns it every which way, runs it's fingers over it, and looks it over real good. Thus the term "coonfinger".
OK, now I know, thanks. Not too many of those critters where I live, thus the ignorance. :D
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

jnyork wrote:
shooter wrote:
OK, now I know, thanks. Not too many of those critters where I live, thus the ignorance. :D
I've lived in the south all my life except about 4 months in 50 years and I'd never heard that term before !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I've heard it for many a year. Don't know it's origins.
Old Law Dawg
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Okay I checked out the "Ruger American" on the Gunblast site .

http://gunblast.com/Ruger-American.htm

And to be totally honest I can't say I liked the looks of the rifle at all . It looks on quality level from the pics to be about the same as a Savage Axis .

To me the trends of late seem to be to get away from a nice classic blued steel walnut stocked rifles of the past and go to gun that are finish wise a lesser quality .

I used to look at the "Blaser" and the "Sauer 202" as snooty rifles for the once a year sportsman . But now it seems for em to get a bolt action I like I almost have to buy something in the same market range as these two or either go looking for a nice used rifle .

Thats just my take of the present situtation and I tend to be way more picky about rifles then most folks :lol:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

jnyork wrote:
shooter wrote:
What :o I thought racoons were everywhere! I know the biggest I've ever seen were in Montana on the Rosebud Creek. I figured WY would have some, too.

But those guys nailed it. When I see a table at a gun show that has a sign saying, "Do not touch" I just mosey on by. If I can't fondle it, I ain't buying! (I understand those signs on real collectors items-but on an average, everyday gun??? Those dealers don't understand what a gun show is all about :D )

To me, when someone "coon-fingers" something they are just touching every danged thing. And I mean everything. I think enough coons in a room could eventually open the most intricate lock, given enough time. (kinda like the monkey-typewriter analogy)

Like I said, the pictures and the reviews of the American rifle left me feeling blah. But, after handling one I liked it. The one I saw was in .30-'06 and the catalog shows 4 calibers, both short and long action. I bet a .35 Whelen is possible, what with the popularity of late that it seems to have.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Most of NW Wyoming is overrun with coons.. Including Lander/Riverton areas. they are thick around Cody....!!!
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...