M71

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

M71

Post by Old Shatterhand »

Just before Christmas this M71 rifle came with the post. It is a 1947 vintage. It has three alterations: 1. A previous owner has drilled a hole in the magazine knob and fastened a sling swivel there. 2. The original bead is changed to a post sight. 3. The insert in the rear isght is changed into a square notch. Both the original bead and the original insert are spared in an old Sierra bullet box.

Pete
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
Hobie

Re: M71

Post by Hobie »

I believe you are ready for moose/elk!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

In the world of leverguns,you are truly a blessed man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You hold the best that has ever been,and as Hobie said,"moose ,elk" or any thing else for that matter.Shoot and enjoy !!!!!!!! Congrats!!!
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Congratulations on a very nice rifle, hope you enjoy it to its fullest.
Ricky

DWWC
WyoShooter
Levergunner

Post by WyoShooter »

Very nice gun.
"In the beginning of a change the Patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

8)
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

What beautiful wood for a rifle of that age, must have had great care, you are much blessed enjoy it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Thanks! :)

Btw - yesterday a guy asked me for a swap: his M1895 .303 British with claw mounted scope for my M71. I did not take the offer, even if it was a good and honest one.

Pete
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Minor alternations--nothing to sweat about. In fact, I like the square notch sight and a sling is a must for hunting. Nice rifle with lots of original condition. I'm curious, how much in U.S. $ does a rifle like that cost in your neck in the woods? Also, do you see the old Winchesters very much?------Thanks----Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Sixgun wrote:Minor alternations--nothing to sweat about. In fact, I like the square notch sight and a sling is a must for hunting. Nice rifle with lots of original condition. I'm curious, how much in U.S. $ does a rifle like that cost in your neck in the woods? Also, do you see the old Winchesters very much?------Thanks----Sixgun
If I use my bank's currency converter, it should be $737,46 for the rifle and $79,35 for shipping. That is decent price here, as old Winchester levers are rare and sought after - but not M1894, which are common and sometimes falsely named "maraccas". At the november auction at Widforss in Stockholm, a fine 1886 .45-70, serial # 82081 went for $1800, the same price as for a new stainless Marlin 1895 here.

Old Winchesters are rare, and I have searched for one in acceptable shape for five years. Then and when there can be one seen in an advertisement or at an auction, but I have never encountered one in the woods. Sometimes I get sceptical comments, but times are changing to better. Levers are slowly going to be more common, as the Marlin 1895 .45-70 gains popularity for hoghunting. The typical rifle in Sweden is a Husqvarna, Sako or Tikka in 6.5x55 or .30-06, and nearly everyone believes that you cannot hit a barn at 100 yards without a scope.

Pete