Dogs, high-frequency sound, and parts sources...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Dogs, high-frequency sound, and parts sources...

Post by AJMD429 »

As I understand it, dogs can hear from about 40 Hz to 60,000 Hz, vs. humans topping out around 20,000 Hz. I know a couple companies have sold 'dog defense' devices to repel dogs by using loud sounds in the 20,000 to 60,000 Hz range, though an old one I tried didn't seem to cause a noticeable reaction from my own dogs - of course I don't know if it worked, since I can't hear those frequencies either...

Anyway, I'd like to have an obnoxiously-loud dog-frequency buzzer attached to our electric driveway gate, to deter the dogs from running up and through the gate when it is being opened. It could work on 12 volts DC (or less), on up to the 240v AC that is available at the gate. The idea is that when the gate is actuated, to let a vehicle pass, if the immediate area is temporarily annoying for dogs to hang around in, perhaps they wouldn't 'rush the gate', and wind up out on the local road and hit by a passing motorist.

Anyone know of a LOUD piezo or other buzzer operating in the 25,000 Hz or higher range...? In fact, anyone know if such a device would actually encourage dogs to stay away from the gate when it is sounding...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Dogs, high-frequency sound, and parts sources...

Post by Chris83716 »

If you only have a couple of dogs you may be able to buy or rent shock collars. They learn really quick to straighten up and follow instructions. Try your humane society to rent them.

You could also look at the ones that are buried in the ground. They are usually set up to keep dogs"in" and go around the perimeter of the yard.

Good luck,

Chris
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I thought about the shock collars, but one of our dogs (the dumbest) is a Great Pyrenees, and the neck would just about have to be shaved weekly. Plus, the dogs love to chew on each other's collars when they wrestle/fight.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Chris,

I think you are talking about a "radio fence". My friend has one. He has NO hard fence, but his dogs respect the buried wire of the Radio Fence.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

great pyrenees are beautiful creatures and very impressive !
cable
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Neighbor across the street is a vet. Installed one of these underground fence things. Her dogs obvioulsly know it's there but go across it routinely when they want to.

It seems more an inconvenience to the dogs than a deterrent.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a little 9volt battery operated device which has a red and green button for use on dogs. The red button sends a sound which seems to make them stop barking and my dogs and the neighbor's dogs don't like it at all. The green button sends a sound they appear to like. I have had it for about 10 years and don't remember where I got it. When PillHer and I were working on our fence, the neighbor's dog was very angry, and several charges were stopped by the noise from that little thing, and finally I just held it down and the dog left. It really does work, but I don't remember where I got it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have a high frequency dog swatter that gets my point across.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

The buried wire electric fence worked real good for my beagle. Unless the female 1/2 mile down the road was in heat. Then he just charged full speed and crossed it anyway. They start out with a warning beep about 2 feet from the wire, then about 1 foot from the wire it hits with a healthy electric "bite", not enough to do any harm, but gets your attention. I know cause I tried it out by holding it in my hand, when it "bites" you, your reflex throws it away. But like the electric shock collars the electrodes have to be in contact with the skin to work, until the dog is trained to know what the warning beep is all about. Probably wouldn't work good on long haired dog.
UNITE
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I don't know about the piezo, but I have seen high frequency deer whistles that you attach to your car. As you drive, it creates the high frequency noise, and supposedly deer stay away and you don't hit them. You'd have to blow through it as you approach the gate. Dog whistles may exist, although I've never seen them.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

2571 wrote:Neighbor across the street is a vet. Installed one of these underground fence things. Her dogs obvioulsly know it's there but go across it routinely when they want to.

It seems more an inconvenience to the dogs than a deterrent.
Yep - and not much of one at that. I have neighbors that use those and, it didn't take their dogs long to learn if they went over the underground fence fast, it didn't hurt enough to keep them in.

Another negative for me - the electronic fence only even works if the dogs have the receiver collar on with a charged battery - meaning, it doesn't keep other dogs from entering your yard and attacking your dog as real fences do -

My dog is a good jumper - to catch tennis balls bounced in the air - but, she has never shown any inclination to jump over our 4 foot high chain link fence -

Basketball players - eat your hearts out -
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Fiddler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Fiddler »

I've owned one of these for years: http://www.amazon.com/StreetWise-Ultras ... 293&sr=8-3
They most definitely work, but the problem is the range is short, about twenty feet.
I'd love it if somebody would invent a high-powered "blaster" based on the same principle, but using house current or 12v.
It would be nice to silence a neighbor's dog several houses down. By the way, I've always wondered how a person can tie or fence a dog outside to bark and howl the night away, and somehow tune out the noise just outside their window that's driving neighbors crazy two blocks away?
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Fiddler wrote:I've owned one of these for years: http://www.amazon.com/StreetWise-Ultras ... 293&sr=8-3
They most definitely work, but the problem is the range is short, about twenty feet.
I'd love it if somebody would invent a high-powered "blaster" based on the same principle, but using house current or 12v.
It would be nice to silence a neighbor's dog several houses down. By the way, I've always wondered how a person can tie or fence a dog outside to bark and howl the night away, and somehow tune out the noise just outside their window that's driving neighbors crazy two blocks away?
Those people actually CAN'T hear their dog barking because they have the TV volume turned way up in their own home.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958