Charter Arms Pitbull

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Charter Arms Pitbull

Post by Panzercat »

Sure it's not a lever gun, but what thinks the knowledgeable peoples here about the Charter Arms Pitbull .40? I'm half on the fence in getting one or waiting until they roll out with the .45 ACP version. For those not in the know, the line's claim to fame is rimless cartridges in a revolver without the use of moonclips. Any thoughts?

...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Charter Arms Pitbull

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd think having one that used full-moon-clips would be the ultimate 'speedloader' setup.

The six or eight Charter Arms our family has had over the years (.22 LR's, .38's, .357 Mags, and .44 Specials) have all been decent; not great-looking and probably wouldn't hold up to high-volume shooting of stout loads, but affordable, easy to carry, and the kind of utilitarian gun you don't cry over if you get a rust spot on it or a ding. Never had a .40 or .45 ACP in one, but anything that kicks much isn't fun unless you get Pachmayr or other grips on them.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

Definitely, the .40S&W Pitbull is on my wish list. I say the spring loaded ejector using a .40S&W mag from another gun as a speed loader can easily be justified to SWMBO. Just might even get her involved in shooting with such a neat little gun!!

rimrock
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I really want to handle one of these and check out the system of holding the cartridges. I'm curious if they copied the old Smith 547 or if they came up with something a bit different. I don't have any particular desire to own one but I love the clever engineering one sees in firearms (or sometimes the lack thereof).

Eric
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

I'd like to take a look at one in .45acp as well. That's only because I don't own anything in .40...and I'm not gonna start-up reloading for a new handgun caliber at this point. I've owned and carried a Charter .38 for 30 yrs. Shot it a lot with mild "target" loads...very little with "defense" loads. NEVER had a problem or failure from it. Small, light, and always there.
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Why not just go with one in ,44 special. Like guido I don't have anything in .40, but I'm set up to load .44 and .38. .45 acp would also be interesting.
UNITE
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I must say that I prefer the use of full moon clips. I've had several 45 ACPs that used them and was very happy with the system. Even converted a model 28 Smith to 45 ACP. As usual let someone talk me out of it. I'll be interested if they actually make a bulldog in 45. Meanwhile, buy the 44 special.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I was really looking forward to one of these for a year now. Originally, at the previous SHOT show I was showed a prototye that I liked. Now that they've come out, they are BIG. Well, the same size as the Bulldog. I lost all interest. I hoped they would be just a bit bigger than 357 framed Charters but smaller than the 44 Spl frame. Oh well....
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I own a Bulldog 44 Special Pug. All my Smith J frame holsters fit the BD. The 45ACP will be on a larger frame than the .40 S&W. That is why it is taking so long for it's debute.

I was thinking the .40, but will wait for the 45ACP. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
1894c

Post by 1894c »

AJMD429 wrote:I'd think having one that used full-moon-clips would be the ultimate 'speedloader' setup.

The six or eight Charter Arms our family has had over the years (.22 LR's, .38's, .357 Mags, and .44 Specials) have all been decent; not great-looking and probably wouldn't hold up to high-volume shooting of stout loads, but affordable, easy to carry, and the kind of utilitarian gun you don't cry over if you get a rust spot on it or a ding. Never had a .40 or .45 ACP in one, but anything that kicks much isn't fun unless you get Pachmayr or other grips on them.
+1 ... everything AJMD429 mentioned--I think the pitbull is a good idea...would like to try one before I was committed to one... :)
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

They've been holding back on their .45acp for five years now :( I'm about ready to go find a BH convertable, just for the acp cyl. I'd really like the Charter Arms .45acp, tho, I don't want to get into any more calibers...(that commander sized Ruger might be a good idea, too.)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

I like the 45 idea. But how do you carry spare ammo? Loose in my pocket with my keys? I really want moons for just that purpose. We'll see.

Cat
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I watch Jeff Quinn's video on it. Would like one in 9mm and 45ACP with 4.5" barrels and adjustable sights.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Catshooter wrote:I like the 45 idea. But how do you carry spare ammo? Loose in my pocket with my keys? I really want moons for just that purpose. We'll see.

Cat
:idea: http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku= ... d=25912822

Also, a 45acp mag would be useful, one could just thumb them into the cylinder :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

86er wrote:I was really looking forward to one of these for a year now. Originally, at the previous SHOT show I was showed a prototye that I liked. Now that they've come out, they are BIG. Well, the same size as the Bulldog. I lost all interest. I hoped they would be just a bit bigger than 357 framed Charters but smaller than the 44 Spl frame. Oh well....
Brother you saved me some typing. I talked to Nick Ecker at Charter a couple of months ago and at that time, he had no intention of machining the cylinders for clips. When I found out they were neither speed-loader or moon-clip friendly, I had to ask myself "What was the point?" Sometimes, there just isn't one.

I like Charter Arms and think well of their 5-shooters, otherwise. I'd like ti see them do well. They are one of the few guns you can still buy without a lock.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.