Williams FP vs 5D? What's the difference?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Williams FP vs 5D? What's the difference?

Post by awp101 »

I'm researching receiver sights for the Norwegian Krag project I picked up. I see both of these sights listed for the Norwegian Krag but so far I haven't been able to find any definitive information as to what makes one different or better than the other.

Any of you Williams gurus have any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks! :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Williams FP vs 5D? What's the difference?

Post by Blaine »

The 5D doesn't have click adjustments. IMO, it is a PITA to adjust, but once it is, it's ok. If you like adjustability while you shoot, I'd seriously recommend the FP.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Ah, thanks! :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

The FP comes with two adjustment screws and worth the extra coin in my opinion. If your a hunter get the simple recessed screw head adjusters rather than the target knobs. The Foolproof and 5D line are very sleek compared to other sights. I have a FP mounted on a 444 for over three decades with flawless performance. I also have a 5D styled WGRS on my 10-22 and as Blain notes it is a royal pain to dial in. It is secure once locked down.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Be sure to consider the 'Target Knob' option if you don't mind a bit of extra bulk (check the Williams Gunsite or MidwayUSA website for photos of the FP, 5D and Target-knobbed FP models).

I just ordered separate Target Knobs for ELEVATION from Brownell's, for a couple of mine. I am likely to just use 'Indiana Windage' (like 'Kentucky Windage' only I miss more), but sometimes if the range is long for the cartridge, it's nice to just 'dial in' the elevation setting. The FP will do that, repeatably, with or without the Target knobs, but it's more fun with them. :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
1894c

Post by 1894c »

BlaineG wrote:The 5D doesn't have click adjustments. IMO, it is a PITA to adjust, but once it is, it's ok. If you like adjustability while you shoot, I'd seriously recommend the FP.
+1 ... totally agree with "BlaineG"; I've used both and only use the FP...especially if you're going to try different bullet weights--the 5D is 1/2 the price of the FP, but the FP is worth the xtra coin... :)
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

got several of both. as said the foolproof is easier to set up, but after that really no difference in the field.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

buckeyeshooter wrote:got several of both. as said the foolproof is easier to set up, but after that really no difference in the field.
I set the one on my 336, with the insert out as a ghost ring, 6 years ago, or so, and since I aways use GreenBox 170s, it has not budged one iota. :wink: I can usually sight in with five or six shots, but this one took a box or more :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I recently put an FP-GR with target knobs on my daughter's Henry - I recognize this doesn't help awp 101's application, but I found a very good price on the target-knob dovetail-groove sight at Airguns of Arizona. but for anyone with a .22 it's about $10 cheaper than anywhere else.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I like the 5D, since I'm more of a single-load-per-rifle kinda guy, and like to set-'n-forget.

I particularly dislike Target Knobs because, 1) they really add to the size/bulk, and 2) even with lock screws, the coon-fingered among us can STILL manage to fiddle them.

For both the 5D & the non-TK FP, though, a pocket screwdriver will be needed afield, if adjustment is called for.

Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

Pete44ru wrote:---For both the 5D & the non-TK FP, though, a pocket screwdriver will be needed afield, if adjustment is called for.

The screwdriver on the Victorinox Swiss pocket knife fit the set screws perfectly.

Pete
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

As noted, the FP is a bit more hassle-free if you are trying out multiple loads. If you are the "Pick your load, zero, and hit the woods" sort of guy, like me, the 5D is fine.

Incidentally, the 5D name comes from the original price -- $5. Inflation is everywhere, huh?