globe front sight for one eyed shooters

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

globe front sight for one eyed shooters

Post by MacEntyre »

I've read about globe front sights for years on Leverguns.com... I always thought they were big and bulky, better suited to target shooters, and I didn't want to spend the money. Besides, my Marlin 30-30 is very accurate with it's stock front sight and Williams 5D receiver peep sight.

So, I finally put a Lyman 93 globe front sight on the Marlin... Wow! I had no idea it would complement the peep sight so well! But what really surprised me was how well it works with my weird eyesight.

Since I am ambliopic and strongly left eye dominant, I can look through the rear sight with my left eye, line the rear aperture up with the perimeter of the front sight, and have no double image with both eyes open. I am far sighted, so I chose two of the thinnest Anschultz inserts, a horizontal line & circle and a vertical post, which leaves plenty of room inside the perimeter for half a deer. The best part is no more tunnel vision while sighting!

I should have tried this sooner! If you have one eye that's strongly dominant, enough to leave both open while sighting without a double image, I highly recommend the combination of a rear peep and a front globe. It's like a "heads up" sighting display, allowing a full view ahead and on either side of your rifle, while maintaining the sight picture on target.

- MacEntyre
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: globe front sight for one eyed shooters

Post by Griff »

I still can't shoot with both eyes open with mine... but still, I absolutely love the ability to sight clearly... well, at least more clearly than traditional open sights allow!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Good post. I've been considering one. I was wondering which was more effective, rear peep with a front blade, front globe with rear iron, vs. front globe rear peep.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

just the basic hooded post (comparable to a globe) on my daughter's Henry compliments the Williams peep sight extremely well - the outline of the globe fits perfectly snug inside the aperture field image. Changing the aperture size doesn't significantly change the size of the field image or this relationship, it just changes the depth-of-field.

Very different from a tang sight, where you get a larger aperture field image and have to consciously center the front globe in the aperture.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Gotta have a picture...!

Some prefer the 'hunting' vs. 'target' rear aperture, where there isn't the large 'black' area, but either way, you can see the nice fine and easily-centered front sight.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

just put a Lyman globe on 1894C yesterday. Put the Williams FP on a long time ago. It tough to get old and need help seeing.
when your enemy is within range so are you
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I like them. I have a globe sight on my Wesson & Harrington Buffalo Classic and on my 1903 Springfield Sporter (both with receiver sights). I think that they are a real help with accuracy. I am planning on putting one on my Winchester 94 Classic.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

AJMD429 wrote:Gotta have a picture...!
Thanks for that!

The only difference in what I see is that the front sight circle is aligned with the rear aperture. It's probably that way when you look with yer eyeball instead of yer camera, eh?
AJMD429 wrote: Some prefer the 'hunting' ...rear aperture, where there isn't the large 'black' area...
The hunting aperture is what I was describing, so you can see in your photo how my strange eyesight would allow for a sight picture without obscuring the wider view. The globe front sight makes it easy to maintain the aim and still look around.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

the Williams twilight apertures are very nice for several reasons.
You find them quickly in bad light conditions - low light or glare.
I also think in bright light, the bright ring makes your pupil constrict more, improving your sight image.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

To answer the question on tang and bead vs tang and globe, I started with a 1/16" brass bead on my 24" Rossi and used it to shoot out at 300yds. It was hard at first but I got better at it. Then I tried a Lyman globe front sight with their small aperture insert and I could only see a bit of difference in accuracy with it.

I swapped the aperture out for a Lee Shaver aperture and the difference was like night and day. The Lee Shaver inserts made a huge difference in accuracy with my setup. Not only is the aperture edge more sharp, the thinner wire doesn't block the target like the Lyman inserts do. It's just easier to sight more sharply with it.

Lyman's std set (bottom) and Lee Shaver's set (top) comparison. Note that the Lee Shaver set gives you posts with a tip in the middle to use to cover the bullseye as well as a post that's just below middle to use the 'pumpkin on the post' sighting method. I swap between the finest aperture for long range shooting and the 'pumpkin on the post' post for general shooting.

Conclusion: Get the Lyman globe front sight and a set of Lee Shaver inserts and you should see a noticeable improvement in sighting accuracy.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

COSteve- I asked this a long time ago, but where did you get the Lee Shaver inserts? I am having senior moments and can't remember.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Bis wrote:...where did you get the Lee Shaver inserts?
+1

I like those a lot!

- MacEntyre
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

answering out of turn, you can get them at Buffalo Arms.

Here's my favorite insert with a level sight, which came from an MVA card

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

COSteve wrote:Image
THIS is what I hope to make my 94 "Classic" look like someday. You have a really good looking rifle Steve!!!
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

COSeve- 2 questions, 1 are all Lyman 17A globe sights the same as far as the inserts go. Example I have a 17 AHB.
Second one- are you sure you ordered p/n 100-008-890 and not 781-100-017 from Brownells?
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Bis wrote:COSeve- 2 questions, 1 are all Lyman 17A globe sights the same as far as the inserts go. Example I have a 17 AHB.
Second one- are you sure you ordered p/n 100-008-890 and not 781-100-017 from Brownells?
As far as I've heard, all the 17A globe sights use the same inserts and Good Catch, I was looking at the picture of the stock no. 781-100-017 but clicked on the stock no 100-008-890 for some reason to copy the stock number. The correct Brownells stock number for the Lee Shaver set I got is 781-100-017.
Steve
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

COSteve- thanks
bdhold

Post by bdhold »