Paging Nath, Gamekeeper and anybody else ....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Paging Nath, Gamekeeper and anybody else ....

Post by J Miller »

.... who might be able to help.

I have my moms old HOTHER sewing machine up and running.
Sews beautifully for it's age. The biggest obstacle is the motor.
While sitting in storage for 25 years the motor cord melted.
To make a long story longer, it must have been a chemical reaction of some kind as there was no damage to the motor. It still runs well and still ran the machine. But with bad wiring it could not be used safely.
When I rewired it one of the motor brush caps shattered.
I have looked all over the US, every place that says they have sewing machine motors and have had no success. The people I've spoken to say they've never seen a motor set up this way.
So, since this is a European made motor I thought I'd ask you guys if you might be able to check for me on that side of the pond.

The motor's particulars are:

Belgelcor AC-DC Motor
TYPE - UV73
1.0 AMP 115V

The brushes are 4.5 mm square X ??? long

If anybody has a sewing machine repair shop they'd be willing to visit please check this out. I will be more than happy to pay for shipping and the parts. I'll even buy the whole darn motor if a match could be found.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Paging Nath, Gamekeeper and anybody else ....

Post by Nath »

Joe, I don't know but got this !

Hope it helps
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Belgel ... h=568&bs=1

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Nath,
Thanks for the link. I Googled over here and got two hits neither of which were useful. I'll check them out.

EDITED to add: Not much help there. Lots of mentions of the name, some of the motor, but none for motors or parts for sale.
I don't think Google or computer searches are going to work for this one.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Joe I'm trying to remember where I saw a sewing machine repairer recently, I think it was in a market near Bournemouth, I'll check it out.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
stanforth
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stanforth »

Before I start I am a Sewing Machine repairer full time.

The model in the images is a copy of a Singer 15.
The motor is the standard fitting for almost all machines with 'outside' motors. Modern versions are both much more powerful and cheap but the wrong colour (white) I carry them in my van. Unfortunathely the voltage is wrong for USA application (ours are 240Volt)

Try Yellow Pages or whatever you use over there. It should be easy to get this item from any sewing machine repairer. If you have no luck contact me at g.ives1@btconnect.com and I will see if my supplier can suggest anything.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

stanforth,

Yep the old girl is a HA-1 copy of the Singer Mdl 15. I've got no information about the HOTHER company though.

I have contacted any and all sewing machine parts companys via email or phone here in the US and one in the AU that sells parts and no one has seen this type of motor.
Most of the motors use a small brush cap with external threads. This cap is larger and has internal threads.
Most of the older motors were USA made or Japanese made. This one Belgium.

I don't know if the UK or Europe ever used these types of motors with the larger caps but I thought since it was made there someone might have an extra motor or maybe some parts.

Joe
stanforth
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stanforth »

I am suggesting that you fit a NEW motor. Forget the old one a new motor foot control set fits by one bolt in the same way as the old one. It would cost little about $30 and would be more powerful. One bolt and throw the old one away.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

stanforth wrote:I am suggesting that you fit a NEW motor. Forget the old one a new motor foot control set fits by one bolt in the same way as the old one. It would cost little about $30 and would be more powerful. One bolt and throw the old one away.
I put a used motor from the local sewing machine guy on it and it runs fine. But I want the original motor restored to running condition and reinstalled. I'll keep looking. Eventually I'll find what I'm looking for.

Joe