Good complete reloading setup?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Good complete reloading setup?

Post by nralover »

Fellas, what items are needed for a quality full featured reloading setup? Can it be done for 5-600 dollars?
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Good complete reloading setup?

Post by Mac in Mo »

Can be done for less than that.

Kevin
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

I should add that the first thing to acquire would be some books to study. I mostly use Lee products with an a few RCBS items thrown in that I was able to get in a big box of misc stuff I bought several years ago.
If you are close to Pevely, go over to Dunns and you should find a pretty good selection of books on the top shelf above the powders.

Kevin
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I know Lyman has complete kits. All you need is to add cases, powder, dies and bullets. In fact, I started with one of their kits in .45acp thirty odd years ago. It was a single stage press. Not fast, but when you start reloading fast is something you want to avoid.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

There are a lot of long time handloaders who have accumulated extra gear over the years.
Ask around and you might get some of your setup for little or no cash outlay.

My first loading press was fitted with a new ram after I replaced it 30 years ago and is being used by the third owner now. BTW, the RCBS Rockchucker that I bought to replace the original press is still working just fine. Buy good quality equipment because you will be using it for decades. :)

Jack
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

jeepnik wrote:I know Lyman has complete kits. All you need is to add cases, powder, dies and bullets. In fact, I started with one of their kits in .45acp thirty odd years ago. It was a single stage press. Not fast, but when you start reloading fast is something you want to avoid.
Same for Lee.

Starting with a "Classic Lee Loader" ($38 - only need a mallet & expendables) to the

$62 Hand press kit http://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-hand-press-kit.html to the

$172 full deal single stage "challenger" kit http://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-challenger-kit.html
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

First essential: "The ABC's of Reloading" book.

Second essential: RCBS Rockchucker press.

Fill in from there.

Watch yard sales, estate sales, etc, you will be surprised how much reloading equipment you can grab for pennies on the dollar .
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Saw one from Lee today for $145 for the turret press loading kit. Might be able to do the RL 550B for that amount. Haven't priced those lately. Any good press will do. I think they all make a basic one.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

nralover wrote:Fellas, what items are needed for a quality full featured reloading setup? Can it be done for 5-600 dollars?
Just curious, what cartridges are you going to start with?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

here's 3 within your price limit, although the lee stuff will
leave you with a little jingle in your pocket for components
[ bullets , powder , primers , etc. ].

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting ... t104516280

careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

jnyork wrote:First essential: "The ABC's of Reloading" book.
That and a manual. I'd suggest the Lyman 49th OR one from the bullet company who's bullets you think you are most likely to use. I say you should then read them both, several times if necessary. You will then be able to make a list, follow the advice to get as much as you can on the used market, and also know how to use it. If you won't do that, go find a reloader as a mentor. He should have the patience of Job because if you won't read the manual you're going to have a million questions. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I also recommend Lee Precision stuff. It is very good value overall. Not the best, nor the most expensive, but very serviceable. I started with a Lee turret press when I was 16 years old (31 years ago), and I am still using it. Loaded thousands and thousands of rounds on it. I've added several presses since then, but more often than not still load on a Lee press using Lee dies.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

nralover wrote:Fellas, what items are needed for a quality full featured reloading setup? Can it be done for 5-600 dollars?
Press, unless you find a used progressive at a bargain, you're looking at a single stage. Your choice as to brand and model. My preference is for RCBS, I have a Jr.2, and a Rockchucker (bought it used for $75 to load my big BP cartridges on and 12ga. brass shells). The Jr.2 is fine for everything else.

Balance beam scale. I have an RCBS 5-0-5, then you need a powder measure/dispenser. Again, I have two RCBS units and a Lyman 55.

A handy item to have, but not necessary, is a primer flipper. I have 2, a Dillon (brass) and an old RCBS (plastic); both work just fine. But, the Dillon is huge and fits all sizes of primer boxes... even the x-large Winchesters with no spillage.

Something some don't think about, but I feel you need a powder funnel... anything of appropriate size from the hardware store will work, but the beveled RCBS plastic one fits all calibers from a .25 to my .45-70... probably fit some slightly larger cases also. I use the hardware store unit to pour powder from the can to measure, and after weighing the charge I use the RCBS funnel to pour from the scale tray into the cases.

A primer pocket reamer, (large & small); a case mouth trimmer and a case trimmer would round out the tools needed. (I've probably left out something that someone else feels is mandatory... but I started with less)!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Post by nralover »

J Miller wrote:

Joe
.30 WCF, .308 Winchester, maybe .45-70...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

nralover wrote:
J Miller wrote:
Joe
What I described above will work for both pistol and rifle calibers... just get your dies and shell holders... Two other items I forgot; a Lube pad, (can use a spray-on case lube), and a loading block.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Post by nralover »

Griff wrote:
nralover wrote:
J Miller wrote:
Joe
What I described above will work for both pistol and rifle calibers... just get your dies and shell holders... Two other items I forgot; a Lube pad, (can use a spray-on case lube), and a loading block.
So a turret style press will work for rifle reloading as well?
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

nralover wrote:So a turret style press will work for rifle reloading as well?
I use my Lyman T-mag turret press to load from 32S&W up to 45-70Gov't
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I know some on here aren't big fans of Lee products, but I think they are very good, especially for the price. I bought the breech-lock challenger kit for around $150. Comes with everything you need except for powder, dies, brass, bullets and primers. I would advise getting a better scale than the one it comes with. I like the Lee hand priming tool better than any of the other brands I've used, and it's not too expensive to get their "on the press" priming system as well, which I really like.

I love the Lee turret press also for handgun stuff, but still like a single stage press for loading rifle cartridges. Because of the way my turret sits in the press it has just a slight amount of play when seating the bullet, so I get a bullet every now and then that is seated ever so slightly deeper than the rest. Not a big deal, but it's just annoying to me. It doesn't bother me on handguns, so I have no problems loading those on the press. You can't go wrong with Hornady, RCBS, Lyman, Dillon, etc., but their kits run twice the price of Lee's.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I started with Herter's stuff. Yeah, that long ago. Still the strongest single stage presses around. I have two still set up for single stage loading. They do require special shell holders but Buffalo Arms has an adapter which lets them use RCBS holders. Bought one a few years ago for $12.50 at a gun show.

Sometime in the late 70's I bought the Dillon 450 which has been upgraded to 550B. Best press in the world. Load most of my pistol ammo on it plus any rifle ammo that I want to do in large quantities. I guess 30-06 is the largest I've done on it but it will handle the job. Yes, I've broken a part or two but Dillon always replaces those parts free and only wants the broken part back to see what happened. They don't make you send the old part first either. Usually the replacement is on the way right after your phone call.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

nralover wrote: So a turret style press will work for rifle reloading as well?
Yes, but I like the extra leverage with a single stage(only doing one function give a lot more leverage) than a progressive press for rifle brass resizing. If you fireform your brass, then its a moot point. And if the brass will fit the progressive press, I think my piggyback set up for my RockChucker will only take .308 and smaller.

I really love the progressive presses for pistol rounds, and pretty much use a RockChucker Jr for rifle rounds. I don't reload much more than 100 rifle rounds at a time anyway, and I have an electric scale/measure to weigh every rifle powder charge, so a progressive press is really no use to me for rifle. There are exceptions of course, like the .223/5.56, I will use the progressive press for practice and fun shooting loads, but for accuracy each and every powder weight is checked.

Steve
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

For about $100 you can get a Lee starter kit with about everything but dies and components. That leaves you about $400 for things you decide you need after that. I bought a Lee classic cast press pretty soon after I started and another scale to weigh bullets with. Last year I bought an RCBS charge master scale/dispencer combo. I doubt I broke $500 with everything I mention. The RCBS chargemaster I bartered for really, maybe $150 worth of work. Dies can add up & I probably have a few hundred invested in them. But for three calibers you can be up & running for less than $200 in equipment.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I too, suggest The ABCs of Reloading and Lyman's 49th Edition Reloading Handbook. Read 'em and you'll get a good idea of what equipment will suit your reloading needs. I started with a Lee Loader (.38 Spec.), 1 lb. of Bullseye, some generic lead bullets, some range scrounged brass, and I bought primers by the hundred (usually one at a time). Oh yeah, and a yellow plastic mallet. Today I wouldn't recommend this set-up because it is slow and most people are in a hurry. I used this set-up for several months before I started adding equipment/tools. My favorite reading material at the time, besides my Speer manual, was Herter's, MidWay, and Cabela's catalogs, mostly to see what equipment was available. Now in addition to those three I suggest googling "reloading supplies" and check out all the vendors for reloading equipment and see what they offer in terms of equipment you'll need. Go slow, double check everything, and enjoy! Reloading your own ammo is one of the most satisfying aspects of shooting...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Easy ! (the 5-600$ part)

I bought a Rockchucker reloading kit for 300 bucks --- then add in 3 sets of dies at 35 each, and a digital scale -- now we are at 500 dollars. Then spend $100 (maybe less) on some good quality dimensional lumber and plywood to make a sturdy bench out of ----

I just spent $600 "internet dollars" pretty quick ---- but i think you can put one together cheaper than the RCBS kit if you shop pretty hard

If you know you will only be loading one or two calibers in large quantity though, i'd be inclined to head straight to Dillon. I've been using my Rockchucker for 2 years now and it is awesome for putting together hunting ammo (20-50 pieces at a time) and lets me tinker with loads and different bullet types,
but if i wanted to load up 4 or 500 .45 ACP or .38's , or 2k of .223 with identical charges and bullet weights , Doing it all with a Rockchucker would be a long, slow haul
----- Doug
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

SteveR wrote:

And if the brass will fit the progressive press,. so a progressive press is really no use to me for rifle.
a turret and a progressive are two different animals.
nralover your answer is yes a turret will work for rifle ammo.
the lee classic can be set to do one function at a time, that's
what i like. sort of a single stage that you don't have to reset
your dies every time you change functions. here's mine with
turrets set up for 5 pistol cal. and 5 rifle cal. [ some share a turret].
reloader1.JPG
reloader5.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

“I should add that the first thing to acquire would be some books to study.”
--MacinMO

Ding!! BINGO; we have a winner here!

And as others agreed, that should be your first purchase.

Then start to look at the local firearms emporium for a hands-on examination. I am leery of the used/previously owned gun show specials as I have seen too much abused, rusted, worn out , etc., equipment for sale. You might luck out, but from what I see, your chances are few and far between.

Discuss with other hand loaders about what brand(s) they have and recommend. If they do not recommend something, ask why. Then form from your own opinion from what others say. They might have or may know of someone who has quality used equipment for sale for various and sundry reasons.

Does not take too much money to get started, but be careful what you buy. Quality lasts and keeps its settings.

I definitely recommend a good scale. First choice -- a good beam scale and a set of scale check weights. RCBS re-built my a 25 year old RCBNS Ten-Ten scale without charge this summer because the worn agate bearings gave false readings.

I have a PACT electronic scale, but such scales are susceptible to temperature and air currents. Only weigh cast bullets with it.

This thread started caused me to recall my first reloading set-up: a .38 Special Lee loader. Back in 1970, I was in college and had ‘bout 100 or so .38 Special cases. Spent many an hour out in the garage with a small hammer reloading wad cutters for the .38 Special Colt Trooper. Passed it on to another shooter who started out in hand loading with it.

Now, I load with a Reading T-7 press and it will accommodate my .45-2 7/8” (AKA .45-110) Sharps Straight cases. There is room on the die head to hold .45-2.1” (AKA .45-70) dies along with the .45 2 7/8" die set. My pistol ammunition is done via a 20 plus year Dillon 550 that has ‘gawd only knows' how many rounds have been made on it.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

What everybody else said.

1. A good manual is essential. Lyman or Lee are the top
two, I think. Ohter folks have their favorites.

2. For rifle - a good, basic single-stage press. RCBS, Lee,
Lyman - as long as it's cast iron. Old Bonanzas or Pacifics work
well, too.

3. Dippers work, but a good beam scale is worth having, especially
when working near maximums.

4. Set of dial calipers for setting OAL and making sure that your
.308" bullets are really .308". :wink:

5. Dies. I like Lee. RCBS also work well, as do Lyman, Pacific, etc..

Don't be afraid of used stuff. It helps to have an experienced fella
along to look at it before you put your cash down, and such company
is well worth the price of a six-pack or lunch. I got an entire Lyman setup
VERY lightly used for only $200 or 300. It'll last forever.

Ya don't need some things right off. You can lube with a rag or spray
for now, and you can make loading blocks from scrap with the appropriate
diameter flat-bottomed holes drilled in 'em. Or drill the holes through
and glue cardboard or masonite on the bottom to give you your
flat-bottomed holes.

Make mounts for your press out of scrap lumber, and clamp it to an
existing bench or table with C-clamps. Most of mine are set up this way.
Clamp 'em to a shelf for storage, and to the bench to use.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up with.

-Stretch
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

pokey wrote:
SteveR wrote:

And if the brass will fit the progressive press,. so a progressive press is really no use to me for rifle.
a turret and a progressive are two different animals.
nralover your answer is yes a turret will work for rifle ammo.
the lee classic can be set to do one function at a time, that's
what i like. sort of a single stage that you don't have to reset
your dies every time you change functions. here's mine with
turrets set up for 5 pistol cal. and 5 rifle cal. [ some share a turret].
Why did you edit my reply? If you quote me, please don't change my posts with creative editing. What you quoted is not what I wrote and it gives the wrong impression to the OP and others reading my posts. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Steve
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I use the RL 550B as a series of single operations in rifle with the tool head set up - so there is no need to change or adjust dies. I can also by doing that load any number I choose to without deciding I am going to go through all the single stage operations with a predetermined number of cases. I generally weigh each rifle load individually.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Nate Kiowa Jones
Site Sponsor

Post by Nate Kiowa Jones »

Leverdude wrote:For about $100 you can get a Lee starter kit with about everything but dies and components. That leaves you about $400 for things you decide you need after that. I bought a Lee classic cast press pretty soon after I started and another scale to weigh bullets with. Last year I bought an RCBS charge master scale/dispencer combo. I doubt I broke $500 with everything I mention. The RCBS chargemaster I bartered for really, maybe $150 worth of work. Dies can add up & I probably have a few hundred invested in them. But for three calibers you can be up & running for less than $200 in equipment.

I agree,
This kit has all the tools you need to get started. All you need is a reloading book, dies for the cal you plan to load, and some components.
Even if you decide to go with a different pressure later on, you will still have the scales, powder measure and priming tool, essential tools that will work with a press upgrade.
Kit Includes: Challenger Breech Lock single stage press, 1 Breech Lock die bushing, a Lee Safety Scale, Perfect Powder Measure, powder funnel, lock stud and cutter, a Lee chamfer tool, primer pocket cleaner, a large and small Safety Prime and a tube of sizing lube. A Lee Case Length Gage (sold separately) will need to be purchased for each caliber being reloaded
Steve Young aka Nate Kiowa Jones Sass# 6765

Steve's Guns aka "Rossi 92 Specialists"
205 Antler lane
Lampasas, Texas 76550

http://www.stevesgunz.com

Email; steve@stevesgunz.com

Tel: 512-564-1015

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Nate Kiowa Jones wrote:This kit has all the tools you need to get started. All you need is a reloading book, dies for the cal you plan to load, and some components.

Even if you decide to go with a different pressure later on, you will still have the scales, powder measure and priming tool, essential tools that will work with a press upgrade.
Kit Includes: Challenger Breech Lock single stage press, 1 Breech Lock die bushing, a Lee Safety Scale, Perfect Powder Measure, powder funnel, lock stud and cutter, a Lee chamfer tool, primer pocket cleaner, a large and small Safety Prime and a tube of sizing lube. A Lee Case Length Gage (sold separately) will need to be purchased for each caliber being reloaded
I couldn't agree more if you don't know really whether you'll keep at the hobby or not. However, if you get into it big time with a number of pistol and rifle calibers and fairly large quantities of ammo, then you'll probably want to upgrade everything you have. Some of us have gotten 'a bit carried away' with our setups. For instance, I reload 8 calibers, 5 pistol and 3 rifle, have a progressive Dillon 650 with casefeeder and all the trimmings and my set currently would sell for north of $3,950 and I don't have a bullet feeder. It can become a sickness just like collecting leverguns. :lol:
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
mad mucus
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mad mucus »

Personally I would start with the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme kit and Lee die sets.
Quality gear you won't regret buying and you will add to this collection as your knowledge/requirements grow.

MM
"Outlaw firearms and only the outlaws will have them."
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

One place not to overly (go cheap) but you don't have to spend a ton either.(around $300) and it will last a lifetime.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjgHVwL1EUI