New production Winchester 94s?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

New production Winchester 94s?

Post by nralover »

Has anyone shot one of these? They look to be nicely made...
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New production Winchester 94s?

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I have not....but...
They are Japchesters...Miroku corp...
Same outfit that make brownings...
and they are really well made...
great fit and finsh...the only thing wrong with them is that
it is stamped Made in Japan...

I would rather have an original......and do
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

And of course no one who wants a new one can get a Winchester. These are probably better than the originals.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

O.S. !!!! Oh the pain of it all, are you saying that a Japchester is better made than my 1951 30-30 or my 1939 30wcf?? Oh the shame """""""
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'd have to agree with O.S. As reluctantly as I am able, & only thru conceding that they're what you'll find if you wish to buy a new one. However, IMO, any AE model is not a true mdl 94 Winchester, regardless of WHO's name is stamped on the barrel or what plant it was produced in. And, I'm in total agreement with Rihmfire.

By the way, just so you completely understand:
Definition of RELUCTANT
: feeling or showing aversion, hesitation, or unwillingness <reluctant to get involved>; also : having or assuming a specified role unwillingly <a reluctant hero>
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well now Griff - them's fightin' words - but then again I think I'd be afraid to fight with you. :D You sayin' my 94 ain't a 94. Why boy???? They haven't been Winchesters since 1931. And what in the series of changes are legitimate - just asking there.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Old Savage wrote:These are probably better than the originals.
Most likely true. Modern technology and Japanese pride of workmanship is tough to beat.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

All in what u like. The Bigbore 94's were equivalent if not better made than any of the 94's. The Jap rippoffs in 71 and 86, pre-safety and rebounding hammmer are equal to the originals.
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

I must agree. In spite of the safeties, the long take-up trigger and the rebounding hammer the modern Model 94AE and the Big Bore rifles are EXACTLY what we were asking for in the 1950’s (really before my hunting time) ‘60’s and ‘70’s. More power with longer point blank range along with better accuracy, wood and finish. - and I was asking for all of the above.
Despite what they might look like, take a Model 94AE Black Shadow 30-30 to the range - with the scope of your choice - and you will be very pleased with the accuracy - right out off the box.
The Model 94AE is a good rifle - poorly treated by its manufacturer.
The Big Bore 307 Winchester need take no back seat to the 308 Marlin Express, with its pointy bullet and “spaceial” powder, out to 240-yards or a bit more. This is far enough for most of us. Don’t miss-understand me, I shoot a 308 ME too.
The new Hornady GMX bullet is magic in the 307 Winchester - and I thought the Barnes X was special!
Slim
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Obviously, many who make these comments have never handled new vs. old for any length of time. While the new ones made may be stronger, mostly because of the advances in steel technology, there is NO comparison when it comes to craftsmanship. The smoothness of the metal parts when working together, the close wood to metal fit, the satin look of the blue, the nice crispy trigger pulls, and the more dense wood of the old originals put the new junk to shame. I'll go as far as saying the accuracy was better in the old days with most new gun barrels running a thou or 3 over Sammi specs, not to mention rebounding hammers and tang safeties.

I've handled, shot, and owned hundreds of the originals and many newer junk and nothing the Japs, Italians, new America, and especially anything made south of the border (they don't qualify as "truck guns" :D )even remotely compares to any levergun that came out of the New Haven plant before WW1 with the exception of the guns that have come out of Doug Turnbulls shop...........but they will cost you.

I'll make some enemies with this next line but I cannot imagine anyone buying an American iconic gun such as our leverguns made by former enemies, especially the Japs who used our soldiers for live bayonet practice and lopped their heads off for fun. Today, their own people cannot even own the guns they make, which should be the #1 reason for not buying Jap junk. And no, I "ain't gettin' with the program" by "moving on" and forgiving those animals.

There's tons of original 1894's and 1892's out there in nice condition that rival what the new junk costs. Even the Winchesters made up until WW2 far outclass the new junk.

Whew! I gotta get more sleep at night--that "junk" word is eatin' at me. :D -----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

I agree the safeties and the hammer/trigger “stink on ice.” The wood to metal fit is not as good as on a pre-WW II Model 94. The late XTR’s will stand beside any of the Post WWII carbines I have handled for smoothness - nowhere near the pre-WW II carbines. The late 1950’s and the 1960’s carbines were nothing to brag about in my memory and we bought them new. Most of the 1930’s and 40’s Model 94’s are exhibiting finish problems on the action.
Due to their age I would not ream an old rifle to the Improved cartridge - and this is remembering the post from Myron Rockett informing us that his .308-444 was still going strong, 20+ years later.
I like the “older” Winchesters but I have to say you will be hard pressed to beat a 26” Grade I Centennial for performance and accuracy. The 375, 307 and 356 cartridges are exactly what the gun writers and the old men I grew listening too were asking for. USRA caused them to fall flat on their face by taking too long to bring them out and by packaging them in a product which was against everything we understood about lever action rifles.
I would like to have visited with Herman Bockstruck to discuss his managements instructions to him when he designed the rebounding hammer, the long take-up trigger and the gosh awful cross bolt safety. I would also like to shake his hand and tell him the Angle eject was “inspired.” What the HE Double Hockey Sticks took so long?
Slim
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well there Sixguy - these will all shoot inch or less groups.

I like them better than the old ones so ----- More for you! :D :D :D

gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Whether you're an AE fan or not, I felt this way when the new (Miroku) 94s came out and still find it odd...that they bothered producing the same configuration gun as it was when it exited the last day in New Haven--GIVEN the new variant's lofty cost (ie, not even "mainstreaming" it) and the plethora of used pre plant closing (AE/safetied) guns still out there for less. I would have thought the only reason to produce a new '94 for significantly more $$--regardless of better finish--would have been to emulate the Pre War configuration (not "just" Pre 64)--a la the Browning 92/86. THAT would have better justified the price and resonated with at least more Winchester afficianados, even if made in Miroku. As Griff can attest, I just ballyhoo'd on another thread about how and why new "antiqued" guns can be very cool, but a spanking new modern steel, current technology "Pre War 1894" is a mouth watering proposition. Yes, real Pre Wars are out there in at least ok--and some in very decent--condition for the price of a Mirokuchester 94 (or better), but have you priced an original 1894 Trapper lately?
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Sixgun wrote: I've handled, shot, and owned hundreds of the originals and many newer junk and nothing the Japs, Italians, new America, and especially anything made south of the border... I cannot imagine anyone buying an American iconic gun such as our leverguns made by former enemies, especially the Japs who used our soldiers for live bayonet practice and lopped their heads off for fun. Today, their own people cannot even own the guns they make, which should be the #1 reason for not buying Jap junk. And no, I "ain't gettin' with the program" by "moving on" and forgiving those animals.
Whew! I gotta get more sleep at night--that "junk" word is eatin' at me. :D -----------------Sixgun
I hate um too what they did not only to other races (poor Chinese and Koreans civilians) but even what they did to their own men. In New Guinea they killed their enlisted men and ate them when they were short on food and couldn't find natives or Allied soldiers to kill. Fortunately the vast majority of these "animals" are long dead. I think it folly to blame the sins of the fathers on their grandchildren.
I have a few friends in Japan that do indeed own guns and hunt quite regularly. Not easy but can be done.
Try read the history of American occupation of the Philippines, the illegal invasion and conquest of the Hawaiian Kingdom, the trails of tears, or the westward expansion and "manifest destiny", nothing to be proud of there either. There's more than enough reason for hate to go around for everyone if they want to.
That being said the only Japanese firearms I own are a type 99 Arisaka my dad brought back from fighting in the Pacific, and a very nice Miroku O/U 20 gauge identical to a Browning Citori which I got at a garage sale for $300. I would not buy a new current Japan made Winchester though a Browning labeled 1886 still calls to me. A pre WWI 1886 would be nicer but who can afford those? :wink:

PS. Love my little 357 mag Tracker (Ranger Compact) but only after replacing the rebounding hammer with a leaf spring halfcock '72 vintage hammer, and chucking the tang safety.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I'm still hoping for some maker here like Freedom Arms, Ballard Rifle, US Firearm or Big Horn Armory to get a 94 into production.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

And what does the writing mean on the safety filler?

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

nralover wrote:Has anyone shot one of these? They look to be nicely made...
I have not personally shot one, but I did shoot a couple of levergun competitions last year where two of the Cabela's anniversary editions were present. They are just as high quality as any of the other Miroku built guns. And that quality rivals anything and everything that ever came off the production floor in New Haven in the last 75 years.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

OS, in truth, there's a mighty difference between a mdl 94 and mdl 94AE. I don't doubt that for many, the AE has attributes that I don't find desirable. And I believe the adage that sez, "the sincerest form of flattery is imitation." The Browning copies are exceedingly well done flattery. And the new Miroku produced 94AEs might just qualify as well. It's just that it's not flattery of a design I find attractive. Ergo, my reluctant admiration of their quality.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Griff wrote:OS, in truth, there's a mighty difference between a mdl 94 and mdl 94AE. I don't doubt that for many, the AE has attributes that I don't find desirable. And I believe the adage that sez, "the sincerest form of flattery is imitation." The Browning copies are exceedingly well done flattery. And the new Miroku produced 94AEs might just qualify as well. It's just that it's not flattery of a design I find attractive. Ergo, my reluctant admiration of their quality.
Well put.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Beins the AE has been the standard for what 30 years now? Seems like it might be wasted time bitchin about em... :roll: :mrgreen:
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I can see it now--fifty years down the road (2062)--and new members on this forum will be taking about the attributes of the Japanese 94's and how they saved the levergun genre of hunting rifle... :)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Griff, a fellow has a right to like anything he wants to and that includes the old 94s. And since the first one I bought was an AE in 1990 and I had no idea of the difference and it has been great through about 600 plus rounds I am just providing that side of the discussion. And the first pre 64 I shot wanted to land hot brass on my head :o I said what the ^(&*( is this about - I don't like this and since I had just shot my first scope sighted rifle and my vision changed and I started shooting 10" groups with irons and with a scope back down where they belonged the rifle stayed top drawer useful to me. I also like my Heritage Big Bore 45 SAA with the pin in the frame and holds six as that is just the way my K22 is and that was my first revolver in 1966 so in a way I am being my own brand of traditionalist. More power to you my friend with those pre all models, I hope you find the quintessential 94 of your dreams at a great price. I got mine now. Now that 25-35 you see is dandy too - love it.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Don McDowell wrote:Beins the AE has been the standard for what 30 years now? Seems like it might be wasted time bitchin about em... :roll: :mrgreen:
A relatively short time when you figure the history of the basic 94 action has been around for almost 118 years... no? :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Old Savage wrote:And what does the writing mean on the safety filler?
My Dad lived amongst the heathen Japanee after the war as part of the occupying army, and he learned to speak and write their lingo.
The pictograms represent his name as pronounced by them. I put that on my rifle in his honor and since we both share the same name. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Sixgun wrote:Obviously, many who make these comments have never handled new vs. old for any length of time. While the new ones made may be stronger, mostly because of the advances in steel technology, there is NO comparison when it comes to craftsmanship. The smoothness of the metal parts when working together, the close wood to metal fit, the satin look of the blue, the nice crispy trigger pulls, and the more dense wood of the old originals put the new junk to shame. I'll go as far as saying the accuracy was better in the old days with most new gun barrels running a thou or 3 over Sammi specs, not to mention rebounding hammers and tang safeties.

I've handled, shot, and owned hundreds of the originals and many newer junk and nothing the Japs, Italians, new America, and especially anything made south of the border (they don't qualify as "truck guns" :D )even remotely compares to any levergun that came out of the New Haven plant before WW1 with the exception of the guns that have come out of Doug Turnbulls shop...........but they will cost you.

I'll make some enemies with this next line but I cannot imagine anyone buying an American iconic gun such as our leverguns made by former enemies, especially the Japs who used our soldiers for live bayonet practice and lopped their heads off for fun. Today, their own people cannot even own the guns they make, which should be the #1 reason for not buying Jap junk. And no, I "ain't gettin' with the program" by "moving on" and forgiving those animals.

There's tons of original 1894's and 1892's out there in nice condition that rival what the new junk costs. Even the Winchesters made up until WW2 far outclass the new junk.

Maybe i got lucky on what I got. Side by side,Accuracy wise, my 356pre safety Bigbore is a match, if not better than my 1915 SRC :shock: :?:
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Griff wrote:
Don McDowell wrote:Beins the AE has been the standard for what 30 years now? Seems like it might be wasted time bitchin about em... :roll: :mrgreen:
A relatively short time when you figure the history of the basic 94 action has been around for almost 118 years... no? :P
:) Time wise it's a quarter of the lifetime, numbers wise it represents half or a little more of the total production numbers. :wink:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Don,
That's true, but some of us still bitch about the changes made in 1964.

The Model 1894 /94 Winchester was never intended to have a scope on it.
It is an iron sight rifle made for those who can shoot.
Putting a scope on it is an abomination and corrupts the entire concept of a light weight, handy, easy carrying, fast to action rifle.
If you want a clunky chunk of iron with a big ugly scope on it go buy a Marlin.

I bought one, and one only Win 94AE and that was because it was the only lever gun out chambered in .45 Colt when I bought it (1986). Had I the choice then that I have today I would not have bought it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:mrgreen: Joe I prefer even the AE's without a scope, but having said that..... Winchester devoted 4 full pages of their 1916 catalog to telling the wherefores and thereases of the benefits of their telescopic rifle sights.... :)
As time progressed into the 1970's and folks were more and more brainwashed into thinking that a scope was a necessary attachment to a rifle, Winchester (I use that term loosely as there has not been a pure Winchester since well before ANY one here was born) to try and keep a market share came up with the AE design to facilitate the use of the modern rifle scope... Sold about 4 million of the things in a few short years.... So it was popular in some corners, and the large production numbers may be just one more thing aside from the pizzy union laborers attitude that would explain the decline in quality of the New Haven produced guns...

Ps and whether we like it or not, the AE is the way the guns will come, and with the trial lawyers never ending greed and the lack of peoples own personal responsibility the tang safety is here to stay as well....
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ji - very nice touch, I remember the posts you made of your dad with the pictures and what great memories and times you had with him.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I think the traditionalists think they are large in number but I think they are more of a small number elite group to appreciate the history and stay with what they were raised with. I don't think the market will cater to that group though due to the numbers which are decreasing like WWII vets. It does leave more rifles for fewer aficianados.

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Wonder how many people are still driving 1950 cars, heck Japan was way ahead of us in motorcycles and they knew it and flooded the country with Hondas and people bought them because they wanted something better.
The old die hard harley riders of course could never buy one just because they were different even though probably better in a lot of ways. Heck Harley is just now getting around to making a water cooled engine just because they didn`t want to change.
I agree that unless custom made, guns don`t have the hands on craftsmanship of the eary guns or have that nostalgia people want.
If ya got the money you can have what ya want now days, some like cool and some like comfort and some won`t change for any amount of money.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
264 Win Mag
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 264 Win Mag »

Old Savage wrote:Well there Sixguy - these will all shoot inch or less groups.

I like them better than the old ones so ----- More for you! :D :D :D
Old Savage,

Is that top rifle one of the new Trails End Hunter 25-35's made just before production shut down? I have one and have just started working with it and wondered what you are loading for it.

Thomas
Nate Kiowa Jones
Site Sponsor

Post by Nate Kiowa Jones »

Griff wrote:

Therein lies the problem. I think the very best of the 94's and the 92's for that matter (WWII being the end of the 92 production) were the guns made between the WWI and WWII. They were of the traditional design, still basically hand built and because of the knowledge gained from the war effort the metal was much better.
The pre 64's were still close to the traditional design but you could see the gradual decline in the craftsmanship, with the post 64’s continuing to show this decline even more so.
What it appears Winchester was trying to do with the post war 94’s is build a one size fits all gun. It appears they were making the parts like Chevrolet/GM makes car parts, one-size-fits-all, bolt-it-on-and-go. ( I’m sure it was all about saving manhours) The results was an action that is loosey-goosey clickity-clackity feeling. Then when they came out with the rebounding hammer guns with its excessively heavy hammer spring you now have some serious bumps/hard spots in the actions as well.

To the issue of longevity, I always felt the reason these guns were so popular is because they were robust designs with robust parts that seldom failed. If you look back in history there were many guns that just didn’t stand up to the test of time. The first Colt double actions come to mind. The S&W top breaks, the colt lightening rifles. They just didn’t hold up well over time.
What I’m seeing now with the current crop of 94’s and 92’s is all the tiny delicate add-on parts they lawyers are mandating into these guns. I just don’t think these late models will hold up over time.

I will say this, if the late model is converted back to the original style fire control parts doing away with all those tiny delicate parts you end up with a gun that is the best of both worlds. Old style action in modern steel.

Here is one of the Miruko 86 LT’s that has been converted, welded and color-cased.

Steve Young aka Nate Kiowa Jones Sass# 6765

Steve's Guns aka "Rossi 92 Specialists"
205 Antler lane
Lampasas, Texas 76550

http://www.stevesgunz.com

Email; steve@stevesgunz.com

Tel: 512-564-1015

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Don & OS,

I ain't disagreeing with you. You've both stated the obvious... both as to the numbers and the general population's expectations. As much as I dearly love my early Winchester 1894 & 94s, the two I shoot most often are my custom rifle based on a 1979 action and the custom Trapper built on a '64 production commemorative. But, both have been worked so that the "bad" attributes of the post '64 is minimized, and the pre-64 attributes are enhanced. Nate has hit my dilemna on the head.

It's also why I love my Browning 1886 over the later Winchester named clones; even over originals. It has the smoothness and silky action of an original (tho' new enough to still feel new), yet has modern metallurgy and none of the dreaded add-ons of the "big government" inspired "we-know-what's-best" safeties.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:D Griff I knew that already... :wink: Just havin a conversation with old friends over a cup of coffee :mrgreen:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

+1 :D

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Griff wrote:Don & OS,

I ain't disagreeing with you. You've both stated the obvious... both as to the numbers and the general population's expectations. As much as I dearly love my early Winchester 1894 & 94s, the two I shoot most often are my custom rifle based on a 1979 action and the custom Trapper built on a '64 production commemorative. But, both have been worked so that the "bad" attributes of the post '64 is minimized, and the pre-64 attributes are enhanced. Nate has hit my dilemna on the head.

It's also why I love my Browning 1886 over the later Winchester named clones; even over originals. It has the smoothness and silky action of an original (tho' new enough to still feel new), yet has modern metallurgy and none of the dreaded add-ons of the "big government" inspired "we-know-what's-best" safeties.
+1 on the Browning 86
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

yea, yea, yea...dada, dada, dada.... :D I guess I'm just spoiled. There's more fine guns around here than you shake a stick at and when me and my buds are out at shows or gunshops, we turn our nose up at about anything made after the war, with the Winchesters & S.A Colts leading the way, so I guess its a character flaw brought on by the environment. :D

My best bud owns the largest Remington retail outfit on the East Coast and I am the first to see the new stuff that hits the market and you know what?....it keeps getting worse. I had my hands on a Marlin/Remington levergun a bit ago and in my view, it would not qualify as a barn gun. The 1/16" gap in the wood to metal fit, along with the loose screws and uneven polishing saddened me a great deal. I guess I have seen the changes over the years, along with corporate greed (and union greed) and it disgusts me the way this country is going.

I forgot the amount of times that guys at shoots have asked me to fix their Marlin guns that had a cartridge under the carrier, all the time with my 1889/1894 Marlins, '92 Winchesters, Colt Lightnings, 86's, dada...dada...dada by my side that have eaten up tens of thousands of rounds with no issues at all.

I'm a Nationalist by character and I'll stick to my words on foreign junk. The Japs keep using the excuse that they were pushed by ideology of WW2 politics that made them beasts. I say we all have a "built in" human character that does not allow us to murder in the cruelest of ways so the he*l with them.

OK O.S., you bugger. :D You got lucky on those 1" capability guns. Now, go shoot some cast out of 'em and tell me if they shoot as good. :D (yea, they probably will)----------------Sixgun

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Look at our history, we aren't saints either. But isn't it funny how our biggest enemies become our biggest trading partners, that we always end up on the negative surplus side to. Sad fact is levers aren't built in the US anymore, and the old ones are INSANELY priced. 94's sold well because they were the working man's alternative to bolt. You are a fortunate man to afford to by the best.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

If we could put down the history and our feelings for a moment a talk about the Japanese made Winchesters. I have a Japanese made 1895 lever gun in 30-40 and two vintages Winchester 95s in the same caliber. I have owned a dozen or more others and a dozen or more 1885 single shots. Oh yes, I also have a Japanese made 1885 single shot.

The finish on the Japanese made Winchester have a high polish to the metal and a slick finish on the wood. The older Winchesters have a more subdued finish on both metal and wood. This cosmetic difference is really the big thing ones notices.

Cosmetics aside, the Japanese made Winchesters are fully equal in quality and accuracy to the American made versions of the same. Any attempts to declare one better than the other is just opinion mongering.

Like others, I like fine vintage Winchesters. But, if I needed a good field rifle, I would not hesitate to buy a Japanese Winchester.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Sixgun wrote:Obviously, many who make these comments have never handled new vs. old for any length of time. While the new ones made may be stronger, mostly because of the advances in steel technology, there is NO comparison when it comes to craftsmanship. The smoothness of the metal parts when working together, the close wood to metal fit, the satin look of the blue, the nice crispy trigger pulls, and the more dense wood of the old originals put the new junk to shame. I'll go as far as saying the accuracy was better in the old days with most new gun barrels running a thou or 3 over Sammi specs, not to mention rebounding hammers and tang safeties.

+1!!
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I'm in the camp that likes the new '94s . I also have a 1947 .32 WS that i like a lot too :) --- guess i just like leverguns in general and am not sophisticated enough to pick up on the suttle nuances and changes from one era to the next.

The trigger and fit/finish on my '47 model is not appreciably better than a much later AE model that is my favorite shooter. I do like things like the metal buttplate though , and other nice older touches

I gotta admit, the receiver and tang safeties give up some style points to the slick sided earlier models, but the rebounding hammer has never kept my guns from going boom (but i know some of you guys have other stories on that)

I am a shooter first and foremost, not a collector or a vintage rifle connoisseur, so if i need to put a scope or red dot on something to give me a better chance of making a shot, i'm going to do it (Although most of my Winchesters are unadorned, -- the MArlin wears a scope)

The new Winchesters made by Miroku are the cheapest way i can get a nice '92 takedown. But in the 94's, there are so many out there that need good homes in the $400- $700 price range on the used market that i will be looking at those first before i looked at a Miroku '94
----- Doug
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

O.S.

The deluxe 94 in your post is a beautiful rifle in a great configuration. Looks like the 100 year anniversary model?

I like Miroku lever guns, including the new model 94. My good friend, Sixgun, and I float our sticks in different directions on this issue. Yes, I love the old Winchesters too, but after the demise of the rifle, circa 1931, they don't do as much for me. Some of the USRA guns are nice, and though I don't own one, I'd consider it. What concerns me most is 'will I hear a 'clang' at the end of the 'bang.'
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Streetstar, would you post a picture of your 47, like to see what that year looks like - thanks.

JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I have a few pre 64 94's and really don't see other than their price where they're that much greater than the more modern 94's. The immediate post 64's guns weren't much though. But then I also think my Japanese Browning guns are just as well made if not better than the old Belgium models I own. There's no comparison resale wise, but we're not talking resale.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Old Savage wrote:Streetstar, would you post a picture of your 47, like to see what that year looks like - thanks.
Sure thing ! -- An "action shot" - one of it sitting in its favorite chair with horsey blanket, and another 2 side receiver shots ! :) These pics are a gentle reminder to get this 'ol girl out and give her a whirl around the range again soon !
All the carbines kind of look alike, but as the saying from boot camp goes "this is my rifle - there are many like it, but this one is mine!" ----

----- Doug
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Cimarron Red wrote: I like Miroku lever guns, including the new model 94. My good friend, Sixgun, and I float our sticks in different directions on this issue. Yes, I love the old Winchesters too, but after the demise of the rifle, circa 1931, they don't do as much for me. Some of the USRA guns are nice, and though I don't own one, I'd consider it. What concerns me most is 'will I hear a 'clang' at the end of the 'bang.'
Gary,
Yea, your right!! Those old original Winchesters are junk, especially the deluxe 1894's in 38-55 that have 10 special order features. So...........beings that you know your deluxe 1894 is junk, I'll send my son down from Denver to pick it up for say..........$200?? :D

When you say you want to hear a "clang", my old Hi-Wall in 40-82 brought music to your ears a few times! :D

It just ain't the same without you around here, partner--I won the Hamburg Buffalo shoot last fall with about 10 miss'es (or however you spell "misses") There was a time if I missed once, you took the win. :D ----------------Sixgun

Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

That gun will cost you a whole lot more than $200, and you'll have to throw in that Browning (Miroku) 1886 carbine that you must have bought during a period of mental duress!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Cimarron Red wrote:That gun will cost you a whole lot more than $200, and you'll have to throw in that Browning (Miroku) 1886 carbine that you must have bought during a period of mental duress!

O.K. Reds. You let the cat out of the bag and have embarrassed me by letting everyone know that I bought Jap junk. If its any consolation, I only had that junk for a few months and then gave it to Johnny---But dang, that gun did shoot. I shot stuff out of there that made the gun jump out of my hand and black & blued my shoulder. And.....it put those boulders of lead right on the money.........everytime. :D O.K., enough of glamourizing the junk............

Now, on to business. Beings you feel bad now, will you accept 4K for that 38-55? :D 'Ole buddy, 'ole pal. I'll even throw in a standard 1894 38-55 rifle in 85% condition made in '05 (1905) so you won't feel lonely. :D--------- Sixgun

Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Sixgun,

I appreciate the offer, old friend, but I'm not yet ready to turn the old girl loose. But when I am, you will be the guy I call!

BTW, in case I haven't told you, that gun came out of a small auction in sleepy McConnellsburg, Fulton County, Pennsylvania, about thirteen years ago for the princely sum of $649! There was a Winchester 1873 collector in attendance, and he made a luke-warm run at the gun, but fortunately he faded fast! I believe I floated all the way home!