Big Bend mountain lion attacks boy, 6

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Big Bend mountain lion attacks boy, 6

Post by Paladin »

Sorry, the boy had to meet mother nature that way.http://www.chron.com/news/environment/a ... 105934.php
It is not the critic who counts
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Big Bend mountain lion attacks boy, 6

Post by gamekeeper »

Glad to hear the boy was not too badly hurt.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

He's lucky to get a second chance. A full grown mountain lion up against a six year old would be no contest.
Old Law Dawg
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

That cat was lucky it was only Dad. Had Mom been there, the cat would have been DOA. One lesson all should learn, is never mess with the MOMMY.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
1894c

Post by 1894c »

jeepnik wrote:That cat was lucky it was only Dad. Had Mom been there, the cat would have been DOA. One lesson all should learn, is never mess with the MOMMY.
DOA is a good term, but I have one that's a little more descriptive -- DRT (dead right there) -- you're right never mess with a Mom... :)
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

When I was a kid, my brothers and I had Mora knives we carried everywhere but to school. We fought with fists over anything and everything, but nobody touched one without all three jumping in. That Mountain Lion might have had a lot more trouble with us. Dad taught us to sharpen knives when we were old enough to carry one. As a kid I was a little too brave for my own good, and still have the scars to remind me of it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

There was a fatal cat attack on the Window Trail back in the early 90s as I recall. I took my high school geology classes up there not long after that.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

That should earn that dad Father of the Year. That boy will be telling that story to his great grandchildren.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

And this thread begs the question, which knife for mountain lions.

Some will interpret that as which pocket pistol for mountain lion.

I think I'd prefer the latter.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Malamute wrote:And this thread begs the question, which knife for mountain lions.

Some will interpret that as which pocket pistol for mountain lion.

I think I'd prefer the latter.
Like the "DAD" proved the one you have with you...
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

One of the many reasons I carry a rather large size knife on me when traveling the woods.
Old Law Dawg
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I can get my 4" Cold Steel folder into action faster than the mouse gun....If I saw it coming, I'd get low so I wouldn't get knocked over on my back (ie, done for :P )
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

There are sign all over the place up there warning people that it's maintained as a wilderness area, animals and all. I figure the guy let the kid wander ahead, like any father might, and the kitten saw a small defenseless animal wandering around and wanted to play at 'hunting'.

Thumbs-up to the father for being close enough to help, thumbs-down to the same guy for not keeping a close eye on the kid to begin with IN A WIDLERNESS AREA.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Bosco
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bosco »

Uff da!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Not a "cat" warning, but...
Bear Warning.JPG
:D :wink:

Seriously though, I am glad for the boy, and sure he's proud of his Dad too!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Malamute, I reckon that about any good Bowie style knife would do, reckon dad was just proud to have a pocket knife.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I generally don't have a blade shorter than seven inches on my belt.
Old Law Dawg
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Some signs I have seen.
kimwcook: I agree most of my field fixed blades are at least that long with at least a .357 back-up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

FWiedner wrote:There are sign all over the place up there warning people that it's maintained as a wilderness area, animals and all. I figure the guy let the kid wander ahead, like any father might, and the kitten saw a small defenseless animal wandering around and wanted to play at 'hunting'.

Thumbs-up to the father for being close enough to help, thumbs-down to the same guy for not keeping a close eye on the kid to begin with IN A WIDLERNESS AREA.

It was on a sidewalk between a lodge and restaraunt, not out in the toolies. Just wanted to mention that. It didn't happen in what anyone would consider wilderness. In that light, it's unlikely anyone would legally have a gun, being that both places are probably federal buildings. Yellowstone has many facilities that are close together, joined by sidealks. It is surrounded by wild country, and is full of grizzlies, but around the buildings isn't where people see bears, or have problems with them, or what anyone would call wilderness right by the buildings. Most people are very much in their "white" zone there.

Good for the dad for stepping up to the plate and doing what needed to be done.

Does Texas have folding knife blade length laws? Belt knife blade length laws?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Malamute wrote:
FWiedner wrote:There are sign all over the place up there warning people that it's maintained as a wilderness area, animals and all. I figure the guy let the kid wander ahead, like any father might, and the kitten saw a small defenseless animal wandering around and wanted to play at 'hunting'.

It was on a sidewalk between a lodge and restaraunt, not out in the toolies. Just wanted to mention that. It didn't happen in what anyone would consider wilderness. In that light, it's unlikely anyone would legally have a gun, being that both places are probably federal buildings. Yellowstone has many facilities that are close together, joined by sidealks. It is surrounded by wild country, and is full of grizzlies, but around the buildings isn't where people see bears, or have problems with them, or what anyone would call wilderness right by the buildings. Most people are very much in their "white" zone there.

Good for the dad for stepping up to the plate and doing what needed to be done.

Does Texas have folding knife blade length laws? Belt knife blade length laws?
The basin 'park' area is a parking lot with a few buildings in it. It is somewhat like a long forgotten motel and is not heavily peopled. It is located in a natural basin high in the park and IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WILDERNESS AREA. Hiking trails surround it and radiate from it. It is not unusual to see lions or bears in the area or on the way down to the window. I personally watched a lion stroll down from the restaurant, sniff the trash by the general store, and then mosey down toward the rangers residence and the window. The response when it was reported the next morning? "They live here." The cat I saw in the parking lot did not go out of it's way to find a sidewalk, nor it it likely that it was in some unusual or unfrequented area. I doubt that the cat that played with the boy was in a foreign environment.

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Malamute wrote: Does Texas have folding knife blade length laws? Belt knife blade length laws?
Texas Penal Code Chapter 46-Weapons wrote:(6) "Illegal knife" means a:
(A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
(B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
(C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stilletto, and poniard;
(D) bowie knife;
(E) sword; or
(F) spear.
(7) "Knife" means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person with the instrument.
There is a nonapplicability clause
Texas Penal Code Sec. 46.15. NONAPPLICABILITY wrote:(3) is engaging in lawful hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is en route between the premises and the actor's residence or motor vehicle, if the weapon is a type commonly used in the activity;
The clause applies to Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS and Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED

Just answering your question. I'm sure someone will be offended by the Texas law and rant a bit. My personal opinion is that its confusing enough to make a person (including an LEO) unsure if the law is being broken or not. Especially as the portion I underlined is in the eye of the beholder. It makes no difference in Texas if it is a folding or fixed blade knife. A switchblade is a different matter.
Texas Penal Code Sec. 46.05. PROHIBITED WEAPONS. wrote: (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells:

(1) an explosive weapon;
(2) a machine gun;
(3) a short-barrel firearm;
(4) a firearm silencer;
(5) a switchblade knife;
(6) knuckles;
(7) armor-piercing ammunition;
(8) a chemical dispensing device; or
(9) a zip gun.
Again, there are some confusing defenses.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Didn't seem to be too much of a wilderness area, this taken from the article. I'd personally cut the dad some slack. Sounds like he did what he needed to do.

"The attack on a sidewalk between the lodge and a restaurant is believed to be the second reported sighting of the lion that night."

How many parents worry about their kid running ahead of them on their way to a restaurant?
Moondawg
Levergunner

Post by Moondawg »

In my limited experience, Texas knife law tends to not to be strongly enforced, until you try to commit a criminal act with a knife, or bayonet, sword, dagger etc, or are a known gang banger.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Moondawg wrote:In my limited experience, Texas knife law tends to not to be strongly enforced, until you try to commit a criminal act with a knife, or bayonet, sword, dagger etc, or are a known gang banger.
Interestingly, that is even the case here. I guess most cops don't want to hassle folks they know aren't going to cause them more work. Yea, you can run into a zealot, but most, like everyone appreciate kind words and cooperation, so they overlook somethings.

It kind of reminds me of an old "Car 54, Where Are You" episode. The brass is up set that the patrol area of the stars has thousands of minor vilolations. They decide to investigate. What they find is that major crime is almost nonexistant. Seems that the residents appreciate not being hassled over small stuff, so they make sure big stuff doesn't happen. Sometimes I think that episode needs to be shown as a "training film" in police academies.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

From one of the area's local papers, The Alpine Avalanche:

http://www.alpineavalanche.com/gallery/ ... 3ce6c.html
Later in the day, a 6-year old boy, river Harris, was attacked between the Chisos Mountain Lodge and the Chisos Mountain Lodge Restaurant, possibly by the same mountain lion.

Rivers' mother, Kristi Harris of Leander, said the child was attacked while walkiing through a native brush area.

"We were surrounded by native vegetation, which is great for predators to come hunting; it jumped out of the brush and grabbed my son," Harris said.

"There was no ranger there when it happened," Harris said.

"They don't see the danger in animals wandering in the parking lot, campgrounds and outside the restrooms; it's just ridiculous," Harris said.

"They don't have the appropriate culture there at all."
While they were obviously in the lodge area, it sounds to me like the youngster took an ill-fated short-cut off the sidewalk and discovered nature the hard way.

His mother, of course, wants to see all that 'nature' controlled and an armed defender of wayward women and children at every intersection (apparently, Dad is chopped liver.)

Glad the kid is OK.

It's amazing that we've survived as a species.

:o

Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

If you walked on the streets or into any store or business in Texas with a long blade knife dangling on your belt, and a cop saw you, you would most likely have legal problems.

I have been to the Chisos Basin in Big Bend National Park on many occasions and the area in question is right next to parking lots and all kinds of activities.