like a traitor

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

like a traitor

Post by walks with gun »

I feel like a traitor to leverguns, I usually pack some form of lever around in the woods but lately have become enamored with this old #1 mark 3 .303. It's light ,shoots good and since I've got a couple of buggerd up legs, I can put a sling on it. I don't really like slings on most Winchester type leverguns. Anyhow whats your favorite woods gun.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Re: like a traitor

Post by Idiot »

A Ruger P90 DC. It's light, powerful enough, and never gets in the way. Oh, and it doesn't require a sling.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Nothing wrong with the Ole Enfield :D good rifles that work.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I've been needing the sling more and more lately so I can use a pair of 6 foot walking sticks to try to take some pressure of my legs.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

walks with gun wrote:I feel like a traitor to leverguns, I usually pack some form of lever around in the woods but lately have become enamored with this old #1 mark 3 .303. It's light ,shoots good and since I've got a couple of buggerd up legs, I can put a sling on it. I don't really like slings on most Winchester type leverguns. Anyhow whats your favorite woods gun.
It's a levergun - the lever's just on the side instead of the bottom. Maybe it's for those guys who shoot their Glocks sideways... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I give a lot of guns equal time for things like this --- I carry a AR-15 a lot (gasp - :shock: :? )- a lightweight model with a pretty skinny barrel and very modestly outfitted (iron sights and a sling basically)

From there - i also frequently tote around my Henry .22 -- both of these choices give me plenty of trigger time without having to stop and reload --- but the .22 obviously is more conducive to informal plinking due to the lack of noise

I also carry a .357 loaded with full house pills (but have carried a Glock 20 some lately too) --- neither the .22 or the AR are good for a close quarters pig encounter, as the AR is usually full of FMJ ammo
----- Doug
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

walks with gun wrote:I feel like a traitor to leverguns, I usually pack some form of lever around in the woods but lately have become enamored with this old #1 mark 3 .303. ...Anyhow whats your favorite woods gun(?)
As well you should! :lol: :P :twisted:

Short answer: it depends.

Long answer: Unless I'm in the woods where another tool is appropriate, my Winchester mdl 94 Trapper.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Don’t get out much in the woods anymore, but if I did and carried a rifle, I think I would carry one of my Sharps Business Rifles. Either .45- 2.1” (AKA .45-70) or .50-70, black powder and paper patched bullet.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Since I am in the woods every single day and for at least 2 + hrs my favorite woods carry gun is now a toss up between two.

1)Winchester 12ga M37 28" modified.---Extremely slim/well balanced/and light.
I have in the tube a Winchester Supreme 12 pellet 00 Buck and in same carry hand as gun between the index/middle fingers a 540gr Brenneke Green Lightning slug.In right side pocket have 2 more each of the same and in left pocket two high brass #6 shells.
I feel very confident with this gun(using it since age 7)for even a big grumpy bear.

2)Kel-Tec SU16-B .223
This is getting to be an absolute favorite.I stoke it with 2 10rd super lite Zytel mags.One of Double Tap 55gr Nosler Ballistc Tips (3100fps out of a 16" barrel)and the other mag being stoked with 62grain Barnes bullets.
If you have never carried a 35" 4 lb AR15 type weapon through the woods (try it,you'll like it)
This gun with those super light mags(loaded)is beyond words of light.
I can shoot this gun well with only one arm(either side)in a desperate situation if needed :wink:
Absolute great HD weapon with the Nosler's also.
And on the go it folds into a 2ft carry bag

ps----------That .40S&W Kel-Tec Sub2K with a tactical sling (hands free)is not too bad either.(stoked with hot Double Tap 200gr. WFNGC loads) 4 lb gun also.
Given the fact with the extra foot of barrel length it essentially becomes a 10mm (handgun scale)and those heavy hot WFNGC loads this gun might move to #1 soon???
And the 10mm(in a Glock)works for Uncle Ted on about everything :lol:

Speaking of uncle Ted watch---------man can shoot!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmfLZ4TnW7E
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I went hunting with a guy who had a CZ carbine in 7.62, it was a beautiful bolt action, looked perfectly balanced. If it came in left-handed I would BE a traitor.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I have an Ishapore Enfield / .308 that was made to look like a jungle carbine. Been toting that around a lot. The other ones that get a lot of use are my Marlin 94 P /.44m and an H&R .22 Hornet.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

Griff wrote:
walks with gun wrote:I feel like a traitor to leverguns, I usually pack some form of lever around in the woods but lately have become enamored with this old #1 mark 3 .303. ...Anyhow whats your favorite woods gun(?)
As well you should! :lol: :P :twisted:

Short answer: it depends.

Long answer: Unless I'm in the woods where another tool is appropriate, my Winchester mdl 94 Trapper.

Nice trapper, Griff. Are the barrel band and handguard band nickeled or is it a trick of the light?

To the OP: If a enfield trips yer trigger, then go with it! ;)
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

A friend of mine gave me an Enfield No 4 MK II with an aftermarket barrel the same length as a jungle carbine that shoots great. I put a plastic stock set on it, enfield ladder sights, and carry it on my ATV all the time when riding in the mountains. It is Great rifle for possible black bear problems and dope growers. Sorry but I don’t have a photo with me but it is painted brown and gets hosed off after most rides to get the mud off it.
The Enfield is a great choice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Paladin on Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is not the critic who counts
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

walks with gun wrote:Anyhow whats your favorite woods gun.
Now days it is always a 20" Marlin Cowboy in .44 mag with a good leather sling. Used to be a 24" Cowboy but this shorter one just feels kinda good the last couple years. I just feed a few cartridges from my gunbelt into it as I head out the back door and into the timber. A Williams receiver sight with the smaller appeture taken out gives me a good sight picture even in the dark timber.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Rem-marlin 1894c or the Rossi 92 in .357 mag... :)
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I usually carry an old Rossi 92 carbine in 44-40 I picked up 20+ years ago, Used it on a few deer, feral dogs,porcupines, and who knows what else. It's a pretty comforting gun for woods and home defense.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

For when I am working my favorite woods gun is my Smith Model 58 although recently the Flattop 45 Ruger has been seeing a lot more time on my hip. If I'm just out being a bum in the woods (one of my favorite activities) it's any revolver I'm in the mood for and my Model 94 carbine in 25-35.

Eric
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

madman4570 wrote:Since I am in the woods every single day and for at least 2 + hrs my favorite woods carry gun is now a toss up between two.

1)Winchester 12ga M37 28" modified.---Extremely slim/well balanced/and light.
I have in the tube a Winchester Supreme 12 pellet 00 Buck and in same carry hand as gun between the index/middle fingers a 540gr Brenneke Green Lightning slug.In right side pocket have 2 more each of the same and in left pocket two high brass #6 shells.
I feel very confident with this gun(using it since age 7)for even a big grumpy bear.

2)Kel-Tec SU16-B .223
This is getting to be an absolute favorite.I stoke it with 2 10rd super lite Zytel mags.One of Double Tap 55gr Nosler Ballistc Tips (3100fps out of a 16" barrel)and the other mag being stoked with 62grain Barnes bullets.
If you have never carried a 35" 4 lb AR15 type weapon through the woods (try it,you'll like it)
This gun with those super light mags(loaded)is beyond words of light.
I can shoot this gun well with only one arm(either side)in a desperate situation if needed :wink:
Absolute great HD weapon with the Nosler's also.
And on the go it folds into a 2ft carry bag

ps----------That .40S&W Kel-Tec Sub2K with a tactical sling (hands free)is not too bad either.(stoked with hot Double Tap 200gr. WFNGC loads) 4 lb gun also.
Given the fact with the extra foot of barrel length it essentially becomes a 10mm (handgun scale)and those heavy hot WFNGC loads this gun might move to #1 soon???
And the 10mm(in a Glock)works for Uncle Ted on about everything :lol:

Speaking of uncle Ted watch---------man can shoot!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmfLZ4TnW7E
Your 'battery' is very practical and unpretentious - I've got a feeling that if Mel Tappan were around to write an updated version of Survival Guns, he'd be listing your recommendations right up there with Jeff Cooper's. 8)

For me, it is really hard to find a reason NOT to have my 'woods bumming' gun not be a lever-action in .357 loaded with .38 Specials; we have no bear or dangerous wildlife (other than an occasional pack of feral dogs), and they are just so light and handy. If I were a better reloader, I'd have perfected a load for .44 Mag or .45 Colt that was 'light but effective' and use that, but for lazy, not-currently-reloading me :oops: , it is hard to beat the Rossi .357 Mag with Marbles Bullseye sights, loaded with .38 Special - no hearing protectors needed, even if I decide to take a break, and attack a dirt clod or pile of rocks with multiple rounds.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

My Ruger Single-Six. If I'm out wandering the woods, I'm usually hunting anyways so I'll have whatever rifle is appropriate. But I like to travel light, so the Ruger usually comes with me in those non-hunting situations.

I've done some pre-season scouting with my Rossi 92 .45.

Although lately, I've taken a liking to my Ruger SR9 Compact.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Usually have at least a Glock 23 in 40S&W on my hip in an IWB holster. If I'm carrying something other than that except for when hunting during deer season, its usually just a Ruger 10-22 with a 1-4x scope or H&R in 410. For a big bore sixgun I tend to like my 5.5" Super Blackhawk in 44mag. Although, now that I have a set of grips on my Security Six that I actually like that may become my new favorite sixgun for woods carry.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

For me it is my 1985g. 430gr paper patch @ 1885fps. No, I do not feel under gunned.