Winchester 94 at the range

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester 94 at the range

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Boys, I just got back from the range with my 'new' Winchester 94 in .30/30. I have been without one for a bout two or three years now and had been sorely missing one ever since I was foolish enough to trade my old one for something shiny which has since been long forgotten.
I got the chance to rectify that at a more than reasonable price and I have a 1981 manufacture Winchester again.

Anyway, the out side looks like its been campaigning a bit but internally she is excellent and the bore is great. I didn't get a chance to shoot further out than 50 metres, since it was quite windy and making my eyes water so I lost focuc on teh front sight, but at 50 metres I shot three groups in a row than measured exactly an inch...
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
1894c

Re: Winchester 94 at the range

Post by 1894c »

Just sold mine today--wanted a Rossi 92 in .357 Mag (been having a great time with 357 Mag leverguns). I took my 1985 vintage Win.94 30/30 to my corner LGS and placed it on consignment, the shop owner called me back 1 1/2 hrs later to tell me that the Win.94 was sold and down the road. I made $100.00 over what I paid for it (had it two years, the 357's have overtaken my interest, that's J. Taylor & Paco Kelly's fault). Win.94's are great guns, even the stuff from the 80's, working guns for working guys... :)

Carlsen Highway..I'm glad you got one and I'm glad you had fun shooting it.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Thanks - I love the little Rossi 92's as well, I have a fondness for the old .44/40 cartridge in those rifles. (I think they are also great value for money.)
As for the Win94, I had been looking one with a good bore that isnt AE nor with a rebounding hammer safety thing for a little while. I think '81 was th last year they made the 'classic' model as I think of it? Anyway, yes, quite pleased with it.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

I have been experimenting with my 94 and some of the new Hornady 160g Leveraction rounds with the pointy ballistic tip. At around 2200 fps they are within 1 to 1.5 in of zero at 25, 50, and 100 meters. I also put a Marbles Tang sight and a Lyman Globe 17 on the front. Makes for a darn nice sight picture.
I too have a Rossi 92 in 357 and it is one of my favorites. The accuracy is sometimes a little spotty, but since I put a 2~7X pistol type scope on it the accuracy seems to be much better and more consistent, at least in my hands.

Walt
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Nice shooting!
PackinPreacher
Levergunner

Post by PackinPreacher »

Nice shooting.
I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God ... Romans 1:16
NRA Life Member, SAF Member
VietNam Era Vet (USN/USNR CTT2)
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

So what's the bag limit on hobbits?

:mrgreen:
1894c

Post by 1894c »

MrMurphy wrote:So what's the bag limit on hobbits?

protected... :)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Congrats on your new (to you) Win 94, Newtmaker. I happen to think the world of them! :P

Griff, (a misplaced Kiwi)
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Life
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

1894c wrote:
MrMurphy wrote:So what's the bag limit on hobbits?

protected... :)

No, we shoot them from choppers. They are classed as a noxious pest.
Mark Twain
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Newtmaker, you put a scope on a lever action rifle? I can only hope Joe does not read that. If he does he may chastise you verbally! :lol:
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Okay, so I took it back to the range to check the zero at 100 metres. I shot a 1.5 inch group that is two inches high and spot on for left and right. I decided right there I dodnt need to do any more shooting and would quit while I was ahead! Coupled with the 1 inch groups I shot at 50 m I think she is a great little shooter.
I had to replace the rear and front sights the rifle came with; they were some unusual arrangment the original owner had concoted and I didnt like them, I like the standard sights these rifle come from the factory with, so I swapped them out, so I am please I got it sighted in so easily as I took a guess at the front bead height, going from memory of my last '94.

Just in case you lot have forgotten what a 30 year old Winchester looks like without AE, some press button safety, tang safety or a rebounding hammer, here is a picture:

Next month I have a 25 day backpack hunt in the remotest part of Fiordland, flying in with a floatplane and looking for the legendary NZ moose, and also culling whatever red deer we can; this overlaps into the roar perod for red stags, so I will be into that as well. I am taking this rifle.
Mark Twain
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Carlsen Highway wrote:Okay, so I took it back to the range to check the zero at 100 metres. I shot a 1.5 inch group that is two inches high and spot on for left and right. I decided right there I dodnt need to do any more shooting and would quit while I was ahead! Coupled with the 1 inch groups I shot at 50 m I think she is a great little shooter.
I had to replace the rear and front sights the rifle came with; they were some unusual arrangment the original owner had concoted and I didnt like them, I like the standard sights these rifle come from the factory with, so I swapped them out, so I am please I got it sighted in so easily as I took a guess at the front bead height, going from memory of my last '94.

Just in case you lot have forgotten what a 30 year old Winchester looks like without AE, some press button safety, tang safety or a rebounding hammer, here is a picture:

Next month I have a 25 day backpack hunt in the remotest part of Fiordland, flying in with a floatplane and looking for the legendary NZ moose, and also culling whatever red deer we can; this overlaps into the roar perod for red stags, so I will be into that as well. I am taking this rifle.
Nice looking walnut on that 94, Carlsen. These days that kind of figure would be considered by some to be premium.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Carlsen, great to hear about your new to you '94. Sounds like a keeper. Keep us informed of your hunts. Sounds like a great time.
Old Law Dawg
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

rodeo kid wrote:Newtmaker, you put a scope on a lever action rifle? I can only hope Joe does not read that. If he does he may chastise you verbally! :lol:
LOL :lol:
I gotta admit I did it reluctantly but my eyes aren't as good as they once were. I have a tang sight on it as well but it has been acting up lately so I had to do something to fix the problem for the time being.

Walt
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Very nice looking 94 30-30, I reckon with you and that rifle doing that kind of shooting any game in range will be camp meat. Post a story and pictures of your hunt.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

good shooter good looker & get to go hunting, Geeeeez :mrgreen: