Henry H001 with Williams FP-GR

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bdhold

Henry H001 with Williams FP-GR

Post by bdhold »

Had a good overcast afternoon, so I decided to photograph my daughter's new rifle.
Though I found out it was tough to shoot such an opaque subject.
It's been to the range, but not yet with the receiver sight - with good weather, we'll go next weekend.
I also haven't had a turn on it yet, so I'm looking forward to dialing in the sight.

This is not far from an infinite perspective (and corrected for distortion) so the dimensions should be fairly accurate.
This one shows the grain a bit better. They put nice wood on these (solid), and I'm impressed with the quality of this rifle for the price.
Side view of the FP-GR, which sits nice and low - I did check height with the rear irons before I removed them, and it has elevation to go either side of the original irons. (It was also shooting nicely at 50 yds with the irons - for my daughter - I didn't get to shoot it yet...)
View down one side of the peep. 0.050 target aperture in place - probably should have put in the 0.093 twilight with the brass ring.
Better view of the post - I'm waiting to see the Hi-vis supposed to be coming out last month, now later this month at Midway
view down the other side
hope you enjoyed it.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Henry H001 with Williams FP-GR

Post by Pete44ru »

Nice job - I hope she enjoys it.

For my H001, ILO fooling around with a different height front sight, I elected to simply install a Williams WM-96 & put a drop of orange sight paint on the issue front sight.

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I considered several options, including Andy Skinner's GR peep, which is also delayed from its mid-December introduction. I wondered if he entered into some production arrangement with Henry - his sight is on the new .45-70 - not trying to start rumors, but never heard back from him the second time.
Not having a lot (any?) front sight options currently, and hearing about the short post issues, I knew the FP would be, well, FP.
I also went over the options with my daughter, and she wanted the FP.
Installation onto the existing receiver groove is simple - takes a screwdriver and Allen, which they provide.

Hi Steve, as I said with the irons dialed in, when I installed the FP, it had elevation travel either side of lining up with the irons. I think it looks better on the blued receiver, and as I said, this is what my daughter chose.
When we first went shopping, she chose the Henry over an excellent used Marlin single bolt with Lyman receiver sight already installed, and the rifle was priced at the value of the sight. She is also a very good shot with a peep.

I even contacted the guy at Master Gun Parts who sells steel bands and front sight for the H001 to see if he would machine me one that would take a 9mm or 3/8 dovetail so I could install a Lyman 17a/eu and he wasn't interested. If somebody would build that part, it would open these up to a lot of options.
Andy Skinner lists a mod to do this on his website. I may break down and buy a new part from Henry and let him take a shot at it.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Instead of contracting for a special front sight for your H001, you'd be just better off buying a Henry Frontier model H001T. It comes with a dovetailed front sight that is simple to swap out. It looks great with a tang rear and globe front sight as this example from RimFireCentral.com shows.

Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

that is a nice rifle and I'll have to assume that you must be someone other than me, since my daughter already chose and owns this rifle.
speaking of you, I heard you got a snowstorm today.

The Skinner sight (if he comes through with it) or the WM-96 would be the choice on a brush gun - no question there. Is this wide as a barn? Not quite. I agree that the FM 94/36 is somewhat more compact, but also doesn't count as svelte.

This is a simple, cost effective set-up for my daughter to target shoot. It weighs 5-1/4 lbs. The extra pound of the -T is less significant to you or me that it would be to my daughter. This works great just like it is - it has an excellent sight image. My daughter would prefer a round front target insert. I'm still going to be looking at front sights - there are enough of these rifles out there and the topic is discussed all across the internet. I think other options will show up over time.
Regards.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

OK, got it to the range this afternoon
After a morning of fishing...
beautiful day, low wind, but the rain clouded the river, so I fished hard for a couple of trout and came home, ate lunch, went to the range.

25 yards from scratch to groups
best 25yd group

not showing the whole 50yd target, because I shot it out on other rifles
but here are the best 2 50-yd groups
Image Image
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

I guess I am a little slow, but when I went to the Henery site, I could find no info on a H001T rifle. Is it a special order or what ?
when your enemy is within range so are you
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

It's this one and it's $100 more, and a pound heavier.
http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-lever-octagon.cfm

btw, these were my sight adjustment pairs - 1,2 and 3 were windage, 4 and 5 were elevation
I shot 4 consecutive bullseyes before I went to groups
four of the 6 pairs are connected, and the last 2 shots are virtually the same hole - the variance in the groups is due more to my tired-eyed sight image than the rifle.
Considering the prices of a new Marlin 39a or 94/22, the Henry is really a great buy.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Andy Skinner just updated his site, and he just introduced THE Skinner "RIMFIRE" Groove Sight
states he has a backlog of pre-orders
http://www.skinnersights.com/henry_rifles_18.html
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

my daughter finally got some range time on the new peep sight.
She shot 100 rounds into one target, and completely removed the bullseyes on the center target and all four diamonds.