Anybody using Firefox ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Anybody using Firefox ?

Post by Rusty »

I was wondering who might be using Firefox for your browser? I've been using it for 5 or 6 years and have never had a problem with it until they did an update some time ago. I ended up having to find an older version to download. Now there's another new version out and I'm wondering if anyone is using the new version and if there's any problems with it? Thanks
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Re: Anybody using Firefox ?

Post by Mike D. »

I update every time a new version becomes available. My platform is a newer iMac and I'm currently using FF 10.0.2.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I only use Firefox when I need Java applications - buying USPS Priority postage on line.
Some of my bill-paying.
The rest of the time I use Google Chrome - it's small, light and fast, automatically translates, doesn't frame as much of your screen, saves all your closed tabs in continuous detail: you can recover a closed tab and scroll back through the entire history.
While I still have Firefox set up as my default browser (and I'm using ver.3.6.16), I use Chrome every time I can.
Last edited by bdhold on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

I have been using it for a couple of years. I update it when it sends them to me. I have had no problems, at least none that I am aware of. I am not very computer savvy.
I did recently go through their website, when prompted to by an update. I did realize they are a not-for-profit group.

Kevin
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Using new version as we speak(awesome)
Just make sure you keep it updated when it asks you! :wink:
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

I'm a long time Firefox user but find myself starting to use Chrome more often. It seems to be a bit faster and more content is on the screen.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I use it and have no issues I know of.
My Credit Union is the only one who does not FULLY match with it but I have learned how to log on there also without much trouble. :wink:
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Been using it since 2007 0n all my computers. As others said keeping it up to date is the key to happiness. I use it with Vista, XP, and Windows 7. No problems.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Been on it since early 2000's. Now on the new 10.0.2. Earlier years had trouble with compatibility with banking systems and other security related uses, but that has cleared up over last couple years.

I've tried out Chrome, etc. They're all good but right now I'm running the Adblock and Flashblock extensions so I have very little of the advertizing stuff that the other browsers display.

Only issues I've seen in dealing with Firefox has been with problems external to the software, i.e. malware, etc.
stickfred
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stickfred »

Its been working fine for years on Mac 10.3-10.5 with only occasional hiccups on an update-usually something I was used to doing was slightly changed. Also installed it on my XP laptop 2.5 years ago and running fine. I only update manually and it hasn't hurt me yet. If you're having problems, then I would think that possible malware/virus issues should be your first check. After making sure that your OS is clean, let us know your OS and which version you're asking about for a more detailed response.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Been using it for about 10 years or so now. Never had a problem that wasn't traceable to our outdated computer.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

OK, thanks. I just didn't want another setback.

gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I'm still using version 3.6.16 and have no complaints. I tend to avoid updates on most of my programs based on the principle that more isn't necessarily better.
Now if I could just get rid of all the other crud that has the microsnot brand on it I would be a happy little computer user.
I've chucked out MS office in favor of Open Office and a few other apps have changed names as well, all I need now is a Linux operating system that's easy to set up for internet etc and has a nice GUI.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

gundownunder wrote:.... all I need now is a Linux operating system that's easy to set up for internet etc and has a nice GUI.
Ubuntu has been working for me on a couple of Dell laptops. V10.04 on one and V11.10 on the other.
You know that you can download it and burn the iso to a cd, then run as a "livecd" to try it without installing?

Jack
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I'm at firefox ver 6, my only browser for years.

chrome, that's google, right? that's google that datamines your info and trades you off to their advertisers, right? why would anyone do that?

I have used Puppy Linux for years. I'm using FatDog on a 64 bit machine and TwoHeadDog on 32 bit machines. With a backup copy on a thumb drive. I highly recommend it. I do occasionally use windows for odd apps that run well there.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

still using version 3.6.16 and have no

Ahhhh.....depending on your browsing habits, it is not be a good idea to stick with an older version of FF or any other browser. There are people actively exploiting any security holes in software to their own advantage. It's a computer arms race, as soon as they find an exploit, it gets patched, they find more later, etc.

So saying...if you use your PC for any sort of online banking, social media, business use or connectivity to a business, you should have the latest and greatest updates and check for them at a minimum *weekly* to see what's available.

No, seriously.

If you use your PC for just browsing a couple forums or email, you are at lower risk. Forum software can and has been hacked for malware use before though. And you are using an email provider like Yahoo or Gmail where they do extensive filtering, right?

Two "never's"...

Never use the email account your internet service provider gives you except for very, very limited activity.
Never, ever, *never* click on a link in an email. Never. Ever. Even if it's from your buddy that saved you from rampaging zombie mutant zebras. Never.

You should be ok then.
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

I've used it for a few years now, ever since my local Geek recommended it. I've got Chrome, too, but rarely use it for much, and then never for anything other than occasional surfing. One thing that my local geek recommended several times when coming to my house to fix computer issues was switching to Mozilla Thunderbird for my email, instead of the old Outlook Express that was giving me problems. I was really reluctant, and it took a year or so of muddling around with Outlook before I did get fed up and switched. The geek was right. It looks a lot like, and works like Outlook did, plus it has a Junk mail feature that intercepts pretty much all spam before it even loads into your inbox. Once I got it loaded I wondered why I ever stayed with Outlook for so long.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mike D. wrote:I update every time a new version becomes available. My platform is a newer iMac and I'm currently using FF 10.0.2.
Mike, I'm several months into a new I Mac, and love it. The Safari browser is not as nice as the old IE, though...seems to jam some things together on crowded forms and such. Is downloading FF easy, and does it coexist with the Safari, and all the web sites like banks, boards w/passwords? I would like to improve on Safari.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Rusty,

My time is limited, and I admit to not reading all of the above posts. It seemed that nobody had problems.
Like you, I have had problems with the last two versions of Firefox. Neither Version 9 nor Version 10 will load in my boxes.

I have both a WinXP (Service Pack 3) computer and the horrible Vista Operating System on a notebook. Before retirement, I had scores of applications, since I did a huge amount of computer programming; so there may be a conflict with some Java or C++ or Visual Basic or some other stuff on my boxes - maybe even my aggressive anti-virus programs, since I use more than one.

All I know is that I get these annoying update notices. Then, I get an error message about a C++ library that won't load.

Firefox has recently been under attack by hackers, who have apparently exploited some hole in its operation that allows you to go to an unknown or infected site and catch some type of malware or bad code.

My answer to this:
1) Download Firefox 8, since it still works with your computer (at least with mine).
2) Pick your sites carefully.
3) Use good updated antivirus stuff. And update it(!) or it is worthless, just like last year's flu shot.
4) Do frequent system backups so that you can restore an infected computer.
Most folks ignore this last bit of advice, including my two (grown) children and most of my extended family! Oh, well...

If Firefox site no longer offers the ver 8 download, PM me. I'll set up a link for a download. But try them first.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

[dumb-question mode ON]

OK. . . What are the advantages of using Firefox vs. using Internet Explorer. . . ?

(other than just the not-using-a-Microsoft-product protest factor)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Well the instal seems to have worked OK. At least it launched. The scroll feature seems to be much faster right off the bat and the AVG toolbar is gone which is actually a good thing as it gives a better viewing area.

1894c

Post by 1894c »

no
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

AJMD429 wrote:[dumb-question mode ON]

OK. . . What are the advantages of using Firefox vs. using Internet Explorer. . . ?

(other than just the not-using-a-Microsoft-product protest factor)
Firefox is:
1) More stable
2) Quicker
3) Able to use several very useful add-ons and plug-ins
4) Safer. Less prone to attacks, less prone to hidden malware and virus attacks
5) Way less annoying - less updates and patches needed
6) Other stuff I have forgotten; dropped Internet Exploder many years ago to use Firefox.