brotherhood of the 45-70

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

brotherhood of the 45-70

Post by two bit okie »

al righty then, new 45-70 mold supposed to two hole, 350 gr lee. when sorting them out what is the break point for different weights. As in 349 to 351, 348 to 352, and what do you use for back to the pot weight.

these are the biggst I have ever cast, so I am curious.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: brotherhood of the 45-70

Post by JReed »

I would keep the 349-351 range and melt ones that are greater then +/- 1 grn.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

I use the very same method that as JReed stated so well in his reply. Give or take 1 gr either way from the average you cast. By the way, is that the Lee 340RNFP mould? If so, that is the best mould I have for the 45-70. That mould cast some of the most accurate bullets I've ever used in my Marlin Guide Gun. With proper care one can expect really good looking and performing bullets from that mould. Sounds like you're casting a might soft with that weight. Good to go to about 1350 fps with an Alox mix and proper sizing. Going up to around 1550 with a harder mix was about as fast as I could push it with no leading. It does have shallow lube grooves and that puts a damper on anything too fast....ok, I've rattled on enough. But I love the 45-70 and have loaded for it well over 45+ years and still going strong....sorta, I'm old now :lol:

Wade
Aim low boys! They're riddin' shetlands!
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

+/- 1% of bullet weight. Unless you are shooting bench rest you will never know the difference between this ans +/- 1 grain.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

When I weigh my bullets, I usually group them in one grain increments. Bullet weight will vary depending on the alloy used, but let's say I am using that Lee 350 gr. mold, and with my alloy they drop out of the mold averaging 355 grains. I then sort them by weight allowing 1/2 grain up or down, so the 356 grain pile can weigh 355.6 to 356.5 for an average weight of 356 gr., the 355 grain pile can weigh 354.6 to 355.5, the 354 grain pile can weigh 353.6 to 354.5, etc. My self-imposed maximum allowable light weight for any given cast bullet is one-half percent of ideal weight. One-half percent of 355 grains is 1.775 grains, so for that ideal weight 355 grain bullet with that alloy, I would round 1.775 grains off to two grains and reject any bullet not making my 353 grain pile.

I keep each one grain increment pile seperate, storing and shooting those bullets together so that in theory any given box of loaded ammo will not vary more than one grain in bullet weight, and all ammo loaded from that batch of alloy will give me 99% weight consistency from one box to the next.

This is just my own personal standard which may not make a lot of sense, but it is my way of quality control.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

For my own needs I cast maybe 1,000 bullets for the 45-70 each year in more then one weight and maybe 5,000 for the 44 MAG/444 and also of many many weights .

Over the years of shooting lots and lots of paper as well as animals I have NEVER weight sorted any of them . And I've never had a problem . When I cast I look for wrinkles and thats about it . With the 44 and 45 cal bullets a grain or two makes a very minute difference .

Two grains difference in a 350 grain bullet is only .006 % . Personally I wouldn't bother .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

6pt-sika wrote:For my own needs I cast maybe 1,000 bullets for the 45-70 each year in more then one weight and maybe 5,000 for the 44 MAG/444 and also of many many weights .

Over the years of shooting lots and lots of paper as well as animals I have NEVER weight sorted any of them . And I've never had a problem . When I cast I look for wrinkles and thats about it . With the 44 and 45 cal bullets a grain or two makes a very minute difference .

Two grains difference in a 350 grain bullet is only .006 % . Personally I wouldn't bother .
My experience is the same. I have never weighed my cast bullets and only look for wrinkles in the driving bands and a good base on the bullet. The ones that don't meet those requirements are tossed back in the pot. If they have a good base and driving bands, but have wrinkles on the nose I just keep them separate and mark the primer with a sharpie to designate that they are not for hunting, only for plinking. I have never had an accuracy issue by doing this. As 6pt pointed out, at those weights a grain or two or even three or four won't make much difference in field accuracy. I have occasional flyers that may be attributed to lighter/heavier bullets, but even the flyers stay in the kill zone 99% of the time.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

On the heavy bullets...350-400 and up...I use +/- 1.0 gn.
For lighter cast bullets...like 180's...I'm using +/- 0.5 gn.
Does it make a difference ??? Don't know. Never took the out-liers(?) to the range. I know it makes me happy to have a variable eliminated for so little extra effort.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

The thread linked below did not generate much interest, but it ties into this thread nicely:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=40126

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

The bottom line is this ,

If you feel the need to weight sort then by all means do it !

But if you don't it's a waste of time .

I follow the "waste of time" school !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Like 6-Point and Shooter, I don't give a rats butt how much they weigh. I look for sharp edges and a perfect base. I've tested tens of thou. of cast and have concluded that the bullet fit (to the throat and groove) and perfection of the base is more important than several grains of weight either way.

Now, if your shooting bench rest, thats another story. But who really cares if your shooting a 1" group or a 1 and 1/2" group?

Any disciplined neurotic detailed inspection of the bullets takes the fun, motivation, AND your time away.-------------------------Sixgun

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Not the same thing, kinda, but I find it way faster and just as accurate to use dippers for .44 mag, 45-70, and other short range loads.....I don't shoot paper (much) and I'm "on" if the little white rocks blow up when I shoot at them :oops: When I get off my can and start loading .284, .218, and a couple others, I shall be a bit more careful.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV