Colt's new Government .22 cal handgun for around $350 retail

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Colt's new Government .22 cal handgun for around $350 retail

Post by madman4570 »

http://www.colt22rimfire.com/index.php?page=videos

Though it is imported (Umarex USA,Inc)per License agreement of Colt (by Carl Walther specs)-------------should be fun, and a great shooter to start new shooters on as well!
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Colt's new Government .22 cal handgun for around $350 retail

Post by jhrosier »

Some of the potmetal/alloy .22s have issues with the slides cracking or chipping out around the slide stop notch.
There is quite a bit of discussion about this regarding the Walther P22, also made by Umarex.
The general consensus is that these are basically throw away guns as the manufacturer won't/can't economically repair them when they fail.
I believe that some of these issues are surfacing regarding the new Ruger .22 pistol.

For casual or occasional use, this might not be a factor.
I would buy a Ruger 22/45 before one of the potmetal slide guns.

Jack
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

Isn't the slide on Ruger's new .22 auto made of aluminum and not pot metal? Also, the frame is polymer so pot metal can't be an issue there.

To me the pot metal 1911 clones are great for practice for those that use 1911s for competition or practice. I think they may eventually kill the .22 conversion units folks have been buying for the 1911's. If you are buying a .22 auto for a lifetime of non-1911 related use and to pass down to your kids, you would be much better off buying a Ruger Mark I, II, or III. Also great are the Buckmarks and Smith and Wessons.

For those wanting a 1911 clone, my readings tend to make be believe the clones made by GSG are much better than the Colt offering. GSG also makes the 1911 clone offered by Sig. It is spiffed up a little and costs more, of course. As the above poster mentioned, these guns will not last forever. I imagine a serious competitor using one for practice may go through several over a lifetime. Still cheaper than .45 ammo.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

This is the same maker that's behind the Chiapa 1911 .22 I think - and that's not gotten very good reviews...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a Ciener conversion unit, and it is extremely accurate. If the new Government Model works, it might just be easier to have 2 pistols, than converting one.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

O.S.O.K. wrote:This is the same maker that's behind the Chiapa 1911 .22 I think - and that's not gotten very good reviews...

The Chiappas are actually made at a facility in Dayton, Ohio and, you are right, they are not getting good reviews. The Colts are made by Umarex. The GSGs are German made (not by Umarex), I believe, and are getting pretty good reviews for this type of pistol. For a read comparing the Chiappa to the GSG (and Sig), go to this link:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=277607

Lots of info on these 1911 clones on the 1911 forum. Makes sense, I guess.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I bought the Colt 1911 "rail gun" model. It is well built and functions flawlessly, at least so far with over a full box of Federal Walmart 550 bulk throught it. I am however disappointed in the trigger, which is over 7 pounds, and with the nonadjustable sights, it shoot WAY low with no way to fix it. I am taking it back to the dealer this very afternoon, they agreed to ship it back for me for warranty work, we'll see how that goes. I wanted the "Gold Cup' model but they are not available yet.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

pillar,
I too have a Ciener, I like it so much I built up a lower just for it.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

InTheWoods wrote:
O.S.O.K. wrote:This is the same maker that's behind the Chiapa 1911 .22 I think - and that's not gotten very good reviews...

The Chiappas are actually made at a facility in Dayton, Ohio and, you are right, they are not getting good reviews. The Colts are made by Umarex. The GSGs are German made (not by Umarex), I believe, and are getting pretty good reviews for this type of pistol. For a read comparing the Chiappa to the GSG (and Sig), go to this link:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=277607

Lots of info on these 1911 clones on the 1911 forum. Makes sense, I guess.
According to this months American Rifleman
That Colt Gov 22 is made in Germany by Carl Walther and is only imported by Umarex??????
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

InTheWoods wrote:Isn't the slide on Ruger's new .22 auto made of aluminum and not pot metal? Also, the frame is polymer so pot metal can't be an issue there.

To me the pot metal 1911 clones are great for practice for those that use 1911s for competition or practice. I think they may eventually kill the .22 conversion units folks have been buying for the 1911's. If you are buying a .22 auto for a lifetime of non-1911 related use and to pass down to your kids, you would be much better off buying a Ruger Mark I, II, or III. Also great are the Buckmarks and Smith and Wessons.

For those wanting a 1911 clone, my readings tend to make be believe the clones made by GSG are much better than the Colt offering. GSG also makes the 1911 clone offered by Sig. It is spiffed up a little and costs more, of course. As the above poster mentioned, these guns will not last forever. I imagine a serious competitor using one for practice may go through several over a lifetime. Still cheaper than .45 ammo.
My examination of the SR-22, Ruger's "copy" of the Walther pistol, makes me think that it will be infinitely more durable than the Walther product.

Now to others...

I bought a Kimber conversion which I gave to my son-in-law. I don't know if he's ever used it but he was pretty happy to get it. I have a Tactical Solutions unit on a Combat Commander frame and it is pretty darn nice in all respects. However, I still lust after the Browning 7/8ths scale pistol. Oh, yeah... :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Yep, I'm waitin' to set my peepers on, & coon-finger, one of those small Browning 1911's, too - Intriguing.

I've always rued ditching a small Llama XV .22, a mini 1911 typw, back in the early 70's, in favor of keeping it's twin brother in .380.

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Good stuff guys thanks!
I would have thought(Colt putting their name on it that it would be quite decent in the quality department. :oops:
Great input!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Ole Saml's been rollin' in his grave for more than a few years, now..................... :roll:

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Looks interesting, but I'm gonna wait and let them shake the bugs out of it first. Lately it seems that gun makers have been recalling stuff more and more. Ruger is probably the worst I know of. That said, I am waiting for the KSG to show up in quantity.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
hammerman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by hammerman »

I've worked the bugs out for you. I have the colt railgun version with 6000 rounds through it so far. It feeds all of the cheap walmart 22 loads. I made the gun look just like my kimber warrior. It had a 6lb trigger that I made into 4lbs. I also fitted the gun with a trigger, msh, grips, sear spring, and ambi safety from a warrior. All of the basic lower parts interchange with a 1911. I can't believe how much bad information there is out there about this gun. Most people seem to bad mouth it without even seeing one. After comparing it with the chiappa and GSG, I walked out with the umarex and the better of the 3.

The gun is plenty accurate too.
Only Winchester levers, one custom 356 top eject bigbore
kkoi
Levergunner

Post by kkoi »

Hammerman,

I also have a railgun with a rather stiff trigger. Did you bend the middle prong of the 3-prong spring, replace the 3-prong spring, or do something else? I think lots of Colt-Walther owners will be interested in the details of your method of reducing the trigger pull.

Thanks,
KK
hammerman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by hammerman »

At first I bent the original sear spring. I made it about 4 lbs. but it didn't feel the same as my Kimber. I had a spare kimber sear spring and I just put that in there. The umarex spring is a little shorter on the middle prong and it doesn't let the trigger really have a first stage pull that I'm used to with my other guns. When I bent the original spring, I made it the same shape as the kimber, but it made the trigger a single stage, instead of 2 stage.

The stock trigger is good though. It doesn't have any creep and breaks clean, but it is stiff. The easiest bet would be to buy a sear spring because they are cheap.

Also, on my gun, the mags wouldn't drop free. They'd only fall about 1/4 way out. I wanted them to fall free, even though I catch them. What I discovered is that the round loading button on the side of the mag was catching on the front groove inside the grip. When I looked inside the grip, you can see a casting line and that the groove isn't cut as deep as the rest of the groove for 3/4" below the trigger. I just took a file and made it the same depth as the rest of the grip to let the mags drop free. This may seem a little confusing until you look at one, then it should be clear.
Only Winchester levers, one custom 356 top eject bigbore
kkoi
Levergunner

Post by kkoi »

Hammerman,

Thank you for the tips. I bent the middle prong of the spring outward slightly, then cleaned all the internal parts thoroughly and applied Hornady One-Shot. My trigger is now pretty good. Not as good as my Challenger II, but quite acceptable for a military knock-off pistol. Someday, I might see if a new spring makes the trigger even better.