Old photos from back home, some with leverguns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Old photos from back home, some with leverguns

Post by KirkD »

A couple weeks ago, one of my closest friends, a fellow I grew up with named Alvin, came for a short visit and brought a bunch of old photos some of which I will share with you.

This first photo was taken around 1918 in Northern Saskatchewan. The only fellow I knew in the photo is Claude Kaufman, who was quite old when I was just a boy. He had a farm about 3 miles from ours. Mr. Kaufman is third from the left. He and the fellow next to him, with their barrels crossed, are both sporting Winchester Model 1895's. I think the two fellows on the left have Winchester Model 1894's and the second fellow in from the right has a Marlin, either a Model 1893 or a Model 1895. One thing I can say about those boys is that they did not go hungry during the winter of '18. Here is the photo .....

This next photo is of Alvin's brother, and my brother-in-law, standing beside a Timber Wolf he shot with his Lee Enfield 303 British. Their farm was about four miles from ours. Hanging next to the Timber Wolf is a Coyote for a size comparison. Here is the photo .....

This next photo is of Alvin's dad, Mr. Foster. It would have been taken sometime around 1950. The deer is a Whitetail, and the rifle is a Winchester Model 1894 38-55. Here is the photo .....

This next photo is of my friend Alvin and his sister, along with another Timber Wolf that he shot with a Marlin 30-30. This photo would have been taken in the mid-1970's .....

That is all for the old levergun photos, but I have a few more I thought that some might enjoy. This one is of Mr. Foster and another of our neighbours, Johnny Long, with a team that they got all dressed up and entered into the local agricultural fair. Here they are, all spiffed up .....

Here is one showing the way we used to saw logs when I was a kid. As you may notice, there were not a whole lot of safety devices on our rig. Most of us kept all our limbs, except for old Mr. Wilson. He lost an arm when he slipped once. The fellow closest to the camera is Mr. Foster and my brother in law, Graham, is fourth man in . ....

Here is one of Mr. Foster and two of his boys getting a load of hay. Dad and I used to get hay exactly the same way in the winter time with our team of horses, but I don't think anyone ever took a picture of us. Here are the Foster's ....

Here is one of Alvin in the bush. We used to do a lot of wood cutting in the winter. We mostly burned Aspen (we called it White Poplar, but it is really Trembling Aspen). I enjoyed this sort of work ....

Here is one of Mr. Foster doing some garden tilling with Alvin's oldest brother on the horse .....

Lastly, here is a shot of the Sunday School class I was in in the late 1950's. I'm the one fourth in from the left. Alvin is at top right. Third in from the left is my friend Robbie. Robbie was the last of the local Indians. When he grew up and left, there were no more Indians left in our area, at least none that were native. Kind of sad to see the last of the Indians go. There were other, older Indians that would come and Dad would hire them to work on our farm, so I grew up working with Indians, but they were all older than Robbie. One of them fought in World War II. All us kids in the photo grew up together except the pastor's son, second from the left. They moved away when I was about 7 years old. The three girls on the right are, from right to left, my sister, my cousin, and another sister (mostly hidden behind my cousin). We didn't have a church, so we had church in the country school. Here is the photo ....

Last edited by KirkD on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Old photos from back home, some with leverguns

Post by Old No7 »

Pretty neat pix Kirk, thanks for sharing!

Those hunters all look like "shooters" too, so besides the Aspen -- I'll bet the deer, moose and wolves were all "trembling" too! :wink:

That exposed saw scares the dickens out of me! :shock: With my luck, you'd be calling me "Old Number... He can only count to five now..." for sure!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Cool. My how times have changed. Those remind me of the pictures of my Dad and my wife's folks in Iowa during the same time period.

Thanks for sharing those!!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Neat pics bro, before everyone started buying chainsaws that`s how we sawed wood too.
8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Some of the neatest posts are the posts just like this! :D Thanks Kirk.

Although I suspected, but never could prove that you were born before gasoline engines and oil burners. These pics proved my earlier thoughts. :D (hey, you and I are only a couple months apart)

Did you ever wonder about the history of the guns we now have? Some of them might be in pictures just like these, but now are used only for the occasional hunt (with Gor-tex and 4 wheel drives) and general blasting.-------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Cool pix Kirk! Thanks for sharin'.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I should mention that in the photo with Mr. Foster and the Whitetail Deer shot with the 38-55, there is an old Model T or something like it in the background and you all might think the photo is older than 1950, but I remember another neighbour drove a Model T up until around 1958. It might have even been the same one for all I know.

I sure do wonder if any of my guns are in old photos. I'm sure some are.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Gee those are nice.

Owen
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun wrote:Some of the neatest posts are the posts just like this! :D Thanks Kirk.
+1...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Very nice thank you
ollogger
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Thanks for sharing those Kirk.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Kirk good pics, They bring back good thoughts of times past of all the family using horses,mules and going hunting, ranch chores and hunting always kept families close. danny
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Kirk, thank you for sharing all those old memories.they bring back a part of my life growing up in Michigan. Tractor mounted buzz saw with crosscut saw and axes put up all the the wood for everyone around us. I was in late high school before I saw a chainsaw. Wood was an occasinal oak and mostly poplar.
We went to church on the Chippewa reservation, it was only four miles from home.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

'nother thing I notice about these pictures, obesity was not a word anybody would have recognized. And they'd never have believed we could think we had an epidemic of it. Thanks for the great pics, Kirk.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Very interesting stuff. I workers life there for sure.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Thanks for sharing, it's always good to remember the way things were... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Thanks for sharing those Kirk, very interesting.
I had no idea Timber Wolves were that big :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

Funny , I did not come up that way , I am more of a derivative of the stereotypical dysfunctional family in the suburbs sort of guy..But I like to imagine my ancestors lived and worked and played like that...I am sentimental over a time and place I did not get to experience for myself but that is the foundation of my fascination with old firearms..Yeah I like those pictures quite a lot. Thanks for sharing them Kirk
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

What a great group of pics. Thanks for sharing.
toby
Levergunner

Post by toby »

Thanks for posting your pics. Reminds me of my Grandparents home in the 1950's.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Enjoyed those photos!!! RR7
"That'll Be The Day"
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Kirk tihs is the Dell Creek ranch in Bondurant, Wyoming. They still cut hay and feed with horses as do most of the ranchers in the Hoback Canyon south east of Jackson,WY.
http://www.pinedaleonline.com/webcam/bo ... webcam.php
Harry
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

About 25 years ago on our old farm this is how we sawed wood.

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Absolutely fantastic, thankyou so much Kirk :D

If only I could show them photo's to my old friend, worked horses most his life.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

harry wrote:Kirk tihs is the Dell Creek ranch in Bondurant, Wyoming. They still cut hay and feed with horses as do most of the ranchers in the Hoback Canyon south east of Jackson,WY.
http://www.pinedaleonline.com/webcam/bo ... webcam.php
Harry
By gum, those photos of horses pulling the hay rack sure bring back memories for me. That was another job I loved when I was growing up, along with checking fences, cutting wood in the bush, and swathing hay. My friend Alvin still has about a dozen horses, some draft, some riding.

Pitchy, I love that steam engine!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Half scale Nichols and Shepard, wish i still had it because it might come in handy soon.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Alot of the farm senes with the Horses remind Me of My youth. the Big fun of the year for Me was right now as the Farm across from My House had a sugar bush, and starting on Washingtons birthday I would work for them hanging 1200 metal buckets to collect sap. Their Team of Belgians pulled a sled with a 300 gallon tank that we would dump the sap in as We collected it. the woods was always a muddy mess with some big water holes and those Horses took it all in stride. What a Thrill when Walter said to Me "Your Big enough now" come'on Drive the Team. I was about 12 and shakeing like a Leaf the first time. that woods is now half mill$ houses now. Thanks Kirk.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Wow. :shock: That meat pole looks like it's about to snap. I'm trying to figure out what all the critters are. Looks like elk racks behind some of the hunters but the fifth and sixth animals are huge. Almost look like moose. Must have been a great time. Thanks KirkD
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

jkbrea wrote:I'm trying to figure out what all the critters are. Looks like elk racks behind some of the hunters but the fifth and sixth animals are huge. Almost look like moose.
The fifth animal is a Moose and the sixth is an Elk. There are also two Black Bears on the pole.
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Very interesting photos Kirk. Thanks for sharing them. A couple of neighbors have those tractor-mounted buzz saws and they are scary !! I cut all our winter wood with a good ol' chainsaw. I need all my appendages and feel that it's a safer way to go.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool. Everyone looks very happy! 8)
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

KirkD, I very much enjoyed the Pictures. I never thought that the timber wolves could be that large.
Reminds me of my great grandfather's family. They had eleven children & farmed. He was a Seventh Day Adventist preacher (self ordained). He preached for free or what the folk gave. He farmed to feed the family.
Thanks.
hayabusa
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

:D
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Kirk those are great pictures.. takes me back.. my dad had an Allis Chalmers B with a rear mounted buzz saw. My dad, brother and I would buzz up our winters wood..I usually caught the blocks as they were sawed off.. toss 'em into a pile. We would kick a lot of sawdust under our boots to give us traction so we wouldn't end up against the saw.. you shore didn't get sleepy around that thing.. scarred me to death.. guess thats why we all have our limbs.. Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Great photographs Kirk, thank you for sharing them.

I'm betting that alot of us are impressed with the size of the wolves in these photos. I like those photos and also your wood cutting photographs. Brought back some memories for me of sawing (much smaller) logs in a pair of sawbucks that Dad rigged at the edge of the woods behind our house when we still lived up north.

Your last photo, with the men all sawing sections of log, gave me the willys. When I was 18 I got an after school job at a sawmill. Down here in Florida it was cypress logs being cut, big ol' boys. Railroad brought 'em right up to mill. I got my job there when a man lost his arm; it was his job that I got. Didn't tell my Mom about that for a long time. :)

Thanks for these great photographs and sharing the stories behind them. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

From about 1933 - we didn't have TV or video games - but we weren't without good shooting

a couple of years later- and fishing - spent winter evenings tying flies for summer fishing

and now -

OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER