Proof is in the pudding (4WD ) a good one

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Proof is in the pudding (4WD ) a good one

Post by madman4570 »

Guys,

Bought back in December a 2008(was a left over sold new in 2009) 29,000 miles on it
It is a Kia Sportage LX 4X4 (5 speed)-----ya, I know I used to laugh too at those older Kia's and Hyundai's too, but now they are considered on top of the game.

Since owning it I have found out some interesting things.
This vehicle gets absolutely fantastic mileage.(in the last two weeks I have checked it each week)a trip to Scranton,Pa each week.
I used the same gas pump/same day and I got 27.3/27.6 miles per gallon on the two trips.

But,here is what I have found out that blows me away.(spent 1 hour with the head mechanic at my Kia dealership)
This vehicle has a 4WD system that is the same system that is on the Twin Turbo Porche 911 Targa.
It is the Borg-Warner ITM system
This system is a full-time 4WD system that has also Traction control and Stability control(w/
switch feature for on/off for Stability control)
This system has a 4WD LOCK button that when pushed locks the power 50/50--front/rear
When this is combined with Traction control is simulates the effect of having front and rear (diff lockers) :shock:
Without all the disadvantages of actual lockers.

Well, let me tell you(proof is in the pudding)Today---on my 360ft dirt driveway that goes uphill and along a huge gorge and because of the moisture from the gorge the driveway ices up.(bottom line,you could probably slide on your butt all the way down it today unless you went over the gorge first.
So,having other 4WD vehicles and knowing how they react to this condition on this driveway(thought lets see where the rubber meets the road)?
Got in SUV,pressed ESC OFF/4WD LOCK ON)
Guys, that vehicle didn't even spin a tire :lol: --------up/down/up/down/up/down multiple times to verify.(I cannot believe it)
And it only has for tires(though they are new)Firestone FR710's (its not like I had studded or even Winterforce's on)

Now,don't get me wrong,I am not saying its a Rubicon rock crawler or a deep mug bogger but???????
Something that has good ground clearence/seats 5 plus cargo room/and in the summer should get close to 30mpg highway.
I think I like it.
Will say (on ice)it outgoes what my GMC K1500 4X4 pickup with BFG AT's would (any day of the week)
waiting for deep snow(if it ever comes to check for that)but it should?????????
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilJHlmyvUIw
Bottom line that ITM system with Traction control is amazing!

Think now, Subaru isn't the only game in town anymore :wink:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Proof is in the pudding (4WD ) a good one

Post by 2ndovc »

Cool!

My dad just bought one about a month ago. So far he's been really pleased with it.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I've been a Master Tech/Shop Foreman for Kia for nearly 7 years. The products Kia and it's parent company, Hyundai, have been putting out since about 2005/2006 really are top of the game in their catagorys. They represent an excellent value in my opinion, and their quality continues to improve by leaps and bounds every year, and the last few years have produced stylish vehicles very appealing to the eye, thanks in part to a chief designer that Kia stole from Mercedes Benz. If I had to make a living based on warranty work alone, I would starve. They are the number four auto manufacturer by volume in the world, behind GM, Toyota, and Volkswagon with their numbers closing in on the top three every year. As popular as Kia's have become in the US, they are much more so in many other parts of the world.
NRA Life Member
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

8) 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I had to rent a kia "sedona"? recently, well, a year ago.

It seemed and felt CHEAP and looked like it wasn't a high mileage vehicle. I drove it for ten days or so and never warmed up to it. how different is the sportage?

are there any around with 300000 or 400000 miles on them?

are the sportage lx nightmares to work on, like hundreds of dollars and lift the engine partly out to change plugs or a thermostat? do they have 4wh disks with more than ample stop power? is everything computer controlled so that as soon as the chip glitches, or the harness glitches, everything glitches? are the pads and rotors quick and easy to swap out? like 40mins each or so? can they tow trailers?

I am interested in a car for my wife, but I was put off by the rental car. I hope you guys have better info. thanks
Last edited by Grizz on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Only problem with the traction control & electronic stuff is when you NEED to spin & work the truck to get thru deep snow or mudd it gets in the way. Least it does on my Toyota. That traction control, on the Toy anyway, applies the brakes on the side thats spinning giving power to the other side, which works great around town or on ice. But not so good when you wont move forward without chewing thru. I turn all that stuff off as soon as the snow gets deep or I head off road. I'd take real lockers or a lsd any day for tough stuff, but your right, as far as on road control that stuff rocks.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Yea speak on and on. I'd like to hear more myself. My 2001 Dakota Quad cab is about to be replaced somewhere around April. I've been thinking about a ford F-150 4 door but I could be swayed. I want something bigger than a little Tonka toy. Is the Santa Fe worthy as well?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

If you are looking for an SUV, the Kia Sorento is pretty darn nice. Unbelievable fuel economy, quiet, smooth ride, and very roomy. The new Optima is a real classy car too. The 2.0 turbo engine that is available in the Optima is an engineering marvel if you ask me. 274 hp and 34 mpg highway is pretty impressive. I am probably a little bias, but if I could afford it right now there would be one of those two in my garage. Either one of those loaded up with options will set you back over 30K.
NRA Life Member
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

That's good info, I need a higher milage 4wd in a couple years that gets better mileage than the astro van. Wife drives 40 miles round trip everyday. Been looking at Suzuki's also. Subaru's are to spendy.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Leverdude wrote:Only problem with the traction control & electronic stuff is when you NEED to spin & work the truck to get thru deep snow or mudd it gets in the way. Least it does on my Toyota. That traction control, on the Toy anyway, applies the brakes on the side thats spinning giving power to the other side, which works great around town or on ice. But not so good when you wont move forward without chewing thru. I turn all that stuff off as soon as the snow gets deep or I head off road. I'd take real lockers or a lsd any day for tough stuff, but your right, as far as on road control that stuff rocks.

Grizz,
Yes, the SUV's and their cars are vastly different than that van you rented.

Leverdude,
Here is the deal-----
The Toyota with their ESC is extremely kludged.(that's when engine bogs down with ESC on / not the traction control)

Reason I say this ----my brother has for his wife their top of the line Toyota Avalon(2 years old now he bought new,about $34K)
That thing when coming up a snow covered hill when you need to get up some steam the engine drops right down to nothing and you can't make it up :lol:
They have no ESC OFF button
He figured it out that before going up a hill like that he does "something like"(stop/turn off car/put in neutral /pump brakes twice/put in accessory hold pedal/start and it temporarly disconnects the ESC)only until car is turned off.When you start it next time its back on.(he doesn't want to totally have it off always because of safety for wife.(he just bought some special tire chains that go on in 3mins)???

Any of you guys need a vehicle and are willing to drive/fly etc. to Elmira,NY to get one let me know??? I have the guy.
They sell )I believe about TEN THOUSAND vehicles a year---I will check exact number.

I paid $11,900 for a leftover 2008(still new bought in 2009) for a Kia 4X4 Sportage LX with 29,000 miles on it.(almost 3 years left on basic and powertrain warranty)didn't have to pay nothing for any extra warranty.
The cool thing about Kia/Hyundai is that even buying used (second owner and after)get the basic(think they call it bumper/bumper) for 5 year/60,000 (new owners get powertrain 10 year/100,000)but still 5/60,000 is good for used cause it's also their basic stuff.

As far as the traction control on mine causing the engine to bog(??)it hasn't slipped yet :lol:
My kia has a push button on/off for ESC
And in extreme slippery conditions a 4WD LOCK
What I like is if you forget and leave the 4WD LOCK on say going down the highway(over 20 mph it automatically goes off)
But when over 20mph still is in a normal AWD mode

Here is an example: say you want a extremely nice car for wife/kid that is VERY nice and a gas miser and has long warranty left.
Being able to drive stick also helps but they have same deals on auto (I just love stick)

http://www.simmons-rockwell.com/pre-own ... leMake=Kia
Not a rental either(nor was mine)
another smoking deal-----------
http://www.simmons-rockwell.com/pre-own ... -24656?p=5
Not a rental either(most are off 1 owner lease)
But where for under 10 grand do you get a almost new car?????????

Worth jumping on a plane and drive home. the 2011 model and up now have their warranty at 10 years/100,000 miles new owner and 5 years /100,000 miles second and after owners :o

OK check this youtube of even an older one(2010)and think almost new for under $10K and even a 2011 :shock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIAzOlQNczI
Heck I can buy that and only have paid $21,998 for both (car and 4X4 SUV)