Any Banjo players

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Any Banjo players

Post by Pitchy »

I know this is way OT but i`m thinking about learning to play one and need advice.
Would this be a good buy and good enough for a beginner?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-5-String-Ba ... 5648e6b4dd
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Any Banjo players

Post by Blaine »

I expect I'd go to a speciality store and have an expert 'splain stuff to ya, then hunt for a good price after you pick one out...or?
:twisted:
http://www.angelfire.com/music2/construct/page1A.html
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Pitchy wrote: Would this be a good buy and good enough for a beginner?
Pitchy - don't know why it wouldn't be, however I'm probably not a really good judge of these instruments. Back in the 1970's I took a liking for the 5 string banjo, bought one, fooled with for several years, bought books on learning to play, took one lesson, and with way too many distractions going on in my life, ultimately put it away for many years before finally selling it. Only one of the many regrets of my life during those years.

SO, my opinion is it's a good price, probably good enough for a beginner and one you'll probably sell later to get a much better one after you have learned to play one. Heck if it was me, I'd get it. Never know, but my guess you'll probably learn to play the thing. I note that you rarely attempt something that you don't finish.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

After finding this on Amazon and reading reviews supossedly there is a difference between Jameson guitars and RW Jameson guitar, the first being better.
Here is the other.
http://www.amazon.com/5-String-Bracket- ... roduct_top
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

That would be fine to start out on...I started playing in the 80's......you really don't need to know how to read music there are lesson books that are called "TAB" music it shows you what strings to place your fingers on.The hardest part is with the right hand,it can be a little frustrating at first but when you get the hang of it it's a blast.I took lessons for about 6 months to learn the in's and out's of it.
If you need to know anything else PM me.
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

JUST A TIP:
Watch the bridge isn't to high"the part that holds the strings up off the head" if they are to high it makes it harder to learn on.They make bridges in different heights.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Pitchy,

I used to visit a forum called banjohangout.com. It is much like this site in that there are a lot of helpful people over there. One of their sponsors is Janet Davis Music, an online seller. I'm not sure about the one you show there as there are a lot of things to go wrong. Gold Tone used to make some really nice beginner models or you can checkout the classified section at the hangout. I have a Deering Goodtime that is several years old. It's a good solid maple version that is set up for clawhammer style playing.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

check out 9-year-old Jonny Mizzone these kids are great.
I'll never be that good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDlxccqt ... re=related
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks guys i`ll check it out, and them kids can play. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

You wanna learn finger pickin Scruggs style or clawhammer?

1894c

Post by 1894c »

nope... :)
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I was pretty heavily into 5 string although lately I've switched to ukuleles mostly, but my 2 remaining banjos are going to be with me in the crypt.

Basically anything is going to be ok for a beginner, but if you want quality look for a wood rim with a tone ring. A rolled brass hoop is a good choice. Most cheaper banjos are the "integral aluminum tone ring and pot" which is a one-piece affair. They have the volume but not the sweetness.

Best is a cast tone ring on a wood rim. A maple 3-ply rim with a flathead Mastertone-style ring is the bee's knees.

In the old days there were relatively few choices, however now there are lots of companies in the business. I think the best value is Gold Tone, and they have choices with the brass hoop tone ring. Used to be only Gibson made professional banjos and they were way too expensive. I put mine together with parts from Stewart MacDonald, the quality is unsurpassed but you save money when you build it yourself. I was in college at the time and couldn't afford a Gibson Mastertone, but now that I can I stick with my Stew-Macs.

My comments on this Davison, according to the specs it may have no tone ring at all, just the head stretched over the wood rim. If so, it's probably not going to ring out like you might want. It might be a nice mellow tone, but be disappointing in the long run.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

It depends on allot of things.

1 What kind of music do you want to play? Old Time music uses a banjo without that resonance shell and is played by claw hammer/frailing.
2 Blue Grass uses a banjo with the resonance shell and a bell metal tone ring inside and is play with Earl Skruggs three finger picking style.

The sound of the two types of banjos is quite different and the way they are played are very different.

The instrument in question is very very cheap for a banjo. It would be impossible to judge it's playability by looking at the picture. There is nothing wrong with cheap, if you are willing to compromise the sound. However, too cheap and it makes it hard to play and even harder to learn.

I had a Fender that cost $500 used in 1971. I always lusted after a Gibson Mastertone, but they were three time that price.

I took up the "bainger" when I lived in Kentucky and was taught by J.D. Crow. I had to give it up when my first child was born. There is no way a child can sleep with a banjo ringing in the house and I had no other place to go. So by-by banjo. I still ove the insrument through. I have tought about taking it up again, but my hands have too much arthritis in them to make than a thing I would enjoy.

Learning to pick a banjo is much better than learning to play golf. If you are starting golf, nobody want to play with you. If you are starting on the banjo, you can go off by yourself and not injure the ears of others. You don't need a banjo to learn the basic three finger right hand rolls, you can do that on your knee (Forward roll, backward roll and alternating roll), After that you learn combinations and how to use the left hand on the frets and away you go. Not all that hard.

A bar of music on the banjo is called a "lick". After a little bit you can get together with other banjo players and "swap licks" and learn from each other. That is the way it is done.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Ok guys thanks, decisions desisions, if any of ya get a chance to look on ebay for one under 200 bucks that ya think would be good post a link.
I don`t know a thing about playing one but you know me gotta try everything. :wink: :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

However, too cheap and it makes it hard to play and even harder to learn.
And keep in tune..... :shock: Like Hank Hill said: I don't care if you only know four chords, but for Pete's sake, play them in the right order. :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

1 What kind of music do you want to play? Old Time music uses a banjo without that resonance shell and is played by claw hammer/frailing.
2 Blue Grass uses a banjo with the resonance shell and a bell metal tone ring inside and is play with Earl Skruggs three finger picking style.
Which is the easiest to learn?
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Pitchy wrote:
Ber ner-ner neer neeR NEER NEER NEER Neer... :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Pitchy wrote:

I doubt is there is much difference in the learning process but a great deal of difference in the sound. Only you can tell me what kind of music you like. No sense learning what you don't want to play.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

The one on Amazon that i posted a link of says it can be played either way, back on or off.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

It doesn't look like a bad deal but nowhere is "You get what you pay for" more true than in banjos. How come you aren't trying to build one your self - do a search for "canjos". Use a 2 galon oil can for the body! Here is another good place to compare prices:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/?src=3WWRWXMT&ZYXSEM=0

Unlike flying gliders or practicing bagpipes in your neighborhood at night, learning to play the banjo doesn't lead to injuries.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Hey Pitchy, if Your a picken them I'm a grinnin :mrgreen:
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I'm no expert on banjo's, but I've messed with guitars and mandolins a bit. I would expect the banjo game to be about the same. For the price range you're looking in, you're not going to get a really good quality banjo. That being said, you don't need a good quality banjo to learn on. At that price range the wood is going to be laminate and probably pretty thin. The materials are going to be cheap, and the banjo I can almost guarantee is going to come from China. It will probably sound decent enough, but as you get better and learn more you will probably end up wanting something of a higher quality.

No sense going out and buying an expensive instrument that you might end up not ever learning how to play. Go get whatever you want to afford right now and change it later if you want. I started out playing guitar on a $150 laminate wood Ventura. It was great for learning on and sounds decent enough. Now I have an all solid spruce top/rosewood backed Ibanez that is considerably more expensive and great sounding. As far as learning goes, they both play the exact same. If I get as good as I'd like I might move up to a Martin, Taylor, or Gibson, but may not, as I've never heard one that sounds any better than the one I've got. One of the differences is that the laminate wood keeps it's sound the same it's whole life. A quality made solid wood guitar will give you a deeper, richer sound over time. It's kinda like a fine wine :D

I don't know for sure if any of the above is true about banjo's or not, but I would expect so.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

shooter wrote:...
No sense going out and buying an expensive instrument that you might end up not ever learning how to play. Go get whatever you want to afford right now and change it later if you want. ...
I don't think I've ever been in a Pawn Shop that didn't have at least one banjo... and often many more... :wink: :mrgreen:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Leaning toward hitting the button on Amazon for the Jameson, along with instruction book, DVD, bunch of picks, electric tunner.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Pitchy, do you have any music experience, especially with stringed instruments?
Just askin'.
dennie

Charles, that must have been super learning from J.D. Crowe? I have talked with him several times, nice guy. And still one of the very best! Years ago when Keith Whitley sang lead for him the group I played with opened for them several times around the Cincinnati/Hamilton/Middletown area. Great memories!
I play the mandolin, guitar, electric and upright bass, a little bit of drums and piano. Played the trumpet a little back in school, my momma made me do it. :roll: Tried the banjo and fiddle, but just didn't work for me.

Good luck Pitchy, love the 5-string!
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Dennie, nope none, but that`s alright and why i don`t want to pay to much. There is a couple a few miles from me that gives lessons.
Heck i can hang something pretty on the wall and be happy, bought a old trombone at a thrift shop the other day and can`t play it either.
I`ve thought about it enough boys i`m hitting the order button.
Thanks for all the help.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

as a banjo player .... have fun !!!

Cheers,

Carl
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I like to hear a good banjo player. Good luck with your venture.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Why don't you go to some pawn shops in yer area and see if they have any for sale?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

UncleBuck wrote:Why don't you go to some pawn shops in yer area and see if they have any for sale?
Too late it`s on the way , i think it`ll be ok. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

You know Pitchy, I made the comment on tone, because yours may have a wood-only shell.

If so, it might be a good candidate for nylon strings once you get into banjos and own a Gibson Mastertone, a Vega Whyte Laydie, and a carbon-fiber electric banjo. True folk players love nylon strings.

I mentioned I still have two, well, I kept my favorite in regular G tuning, but I figured there was no longer any percentage in having two nearly identical banjos (when you're playing gigs there is a definite need for a spare or alternate).

So, I worked out what strings I would need for a baritone banjo, same configuration only tuned to C below the G. This is a new tuning; Gold Tone offers bass banjos tuned in A but I've never heard of this C tuning (not to be mistaken for regular folk C tuning, which is a banjo in G with the lowest string tuned to C instead of D). This is a custom string set I figured out with two wound low strings, a sitar-like 2nd string, and the first and fifth are the same as a regular banjo's 3rd string. Instead of GDGBD it's tuned to CGCEG.

It sounds unearthly and very cool, and I'm seeing if it will work as a bass partner to my ukes, which are also tuned to C, although much higher than the C banjo. It's low and growly, but not to the point of being obnoxious. Anyway, thanks for the opportunity to babble on about it, with the point being between guns and banjos you'll always have something to do (and you don't have to go breaking your neck to do it).
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

El Chivo ya kind of lost me there but it sounded good, that`s why i ordered the book banjos for double dummies :lol:
I`d like to play it but i`m not musically inclined but it will be neat to try, maybe you can post a vid of you playing 8)
Thanks for all the input guys. :D
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
kmittleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kmittleman »

I just picked up Banjo myself - you're gonna love it! However, one word of caution:

Make sure you get someone to set up the bridge (the little wooden part that the strings rest on that sits on the "drum head" part of the banjo). The ones I've seen ( including mine ) have a floating bridge meaning this little piece of wood is only held on by the tension of the strings. And, if not put on or not put in exactly the right place, you'll never get anything to be in tune. It will drive you nuts!

Here's a few links describing it:

http://www.projectsandhobbies.com/banjosetup.htm
http://www.tylermountain.com/bjbridgeplacement.htm

Good luck and have fun!

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Cool, thanks for the links 8)
My banjo will be here mid next week.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Pitchy, you've got a lot of musical ambition. First a Trombone, and now a banjo? I think the next thing you try maybe ought to be an accordion! Those accordion people seem to take them with them every where they go. There was a guy in my parts that ended up in a nursing home before he passed--and they darn near didn't let him in because he tried to bring his accordion in with him. When he finally died, I heard someone comment that "boy, I'll bet the Devil really hates to see HIM coming!" :P Seriously, though--good luck with all of this music you are going to make! :lol:
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks, i have two harmonicas , a trumpet and a didgereedoo an can`t play a toot on them either :oops:
Hoping for a miracle. :wink:

videos

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Pitchy wrote:Thanks, i have two harmonicas , a trumpet and a didgereedoo an can`t play a toot on them either :oops:
Hoping for a miracle. :wink:

videos

Pitchy, you're gonna live forever! :lol: :P :wink:
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Make sure you get someone to set up the bridge (the little wooden part that the strings rest on that sits on the "drum head" part of the banjo). The ones I've seen ( including mine ) have a floating bridge meaning this little piece of wood is only held on by the tension of the strings. And, if not put on or not put in exactly the right place, you'll never get anything to be in tune. It will drive you nuts!
Very true, it can move - I pencil in an outline once I get it placed. Also, if the drum head is too loose the bridge will sag and spoil the tuning as well.

Just keep in mind the 12th fret is exactly halfway between the bridge and the nut. If the bridge gets out of place, you can just measure it and move it back and forth.

Another, better method is to play a harmonic at the 12th fret. Then compare it to the note played at the 12th fret. They should be the same. If the fretted note is higher, then the 12th fret is more than half the total and the bridge needs to be moved rearward. If the fretted note is lower, it is less than half the total so the bridge needs to be moved forward.

If the bridge is too high the strings will be high over the neck (action) and difficult to play. But if it's too low the strings will buzz or be lackluster. You can always sand down the bridge or deepen the string slots. New bridges are cheap - I buy them by the dozen.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I wonder if Mrs. Pitchy has any wire cutters?

How much do you think she'd give for a pair?

In 3 more weeks? :lol:

Good luck old pard,

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Rusty wrote:I wonder if Mrs. Pitchy has any wire cutters?

How much do you think she'd give for a pair?

In 3 more weeks? :lol:

Good luck old pard,
:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
flashpan
Levergunner

Post by flashpan »

Hey Pitchy, have fun with that banjer!!!

Take a listen to my band, "Timberline Bluegrass" playing our version of Earl Scruggs' "Foggy Mountain Breakdown"

My great buddy, Gary on the banjo.....

Just moment s before we went on stage, we met the young guy on fiddle and asked him to sit in with us.....

I'm the big dude with the bass fiddle....

rtsp://v1.cache7.c.youtube.com/CjYLENy73wIaLQl0d4_vMu4AORMYJCAkFEIJbXYtZ29vZ2xlSARSBXdhdGNoYKDvyZnUvbrOTAw=/0/0/0/video.3gp
Fast is Fine.....
But Accuracy is Final!
~Wyatt Earp~
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Flashpan i can`t get the link to work. :oops:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
flashpan
Levergunner

Post by flashpan »

Don't know Pitchy.....
I just now clicked on it and it worked for me.... :?
Fast is Fine.....
But Accuracy is Final!
~Wyatt Earp~
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Anyone else?
If i click it here it does nothin, if i open in a new window i get a blank page.
I want to see ya playin bro.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
flashpan
Levergunner

Post by flashpan »

Fast is Fine.....
But Accuracy is Final!
~Wyatt Earp~
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nope, it opened a page showing you guys on stage but it wouldn`t play.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
flashpan
Levergunner

Post by flashpan »

:?
Don't know.....
I'm pretty computer challenged....
Fast is Fine.....
But Accuracy is Final!
~Wyatt Earp~
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

If you go too U-Tube and play it and copy the ULR at the top then click on URL here and paste it in it should work.
I played the video in another thread a minute ago and it works, hmmmm
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Is this it , are you the guy in the red shirt?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQDuMu-Pd3Q
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
flashpan
Levergunner

Post by flashpan »

That's it!
I'm the guy with the upright bass.
That's my buddy Gary in the red shirt with the banjo.
Fast is Fine.....
But Accuracy is Final!
~Wyatt Earp~