Just Keep On Rolling Along

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Just Keep On Rolling Along

Post by Pete44ru »

I stopped by a local friendly funshop, on my way home from the Massachussetts Shriner's Funshow Saturday - and spotted this odd-looking Roller.

Image Image

I asked the dealer: WHAT the heck is THAT ? ?

The reply: A customized rolling block, rebarreled to .22 Short only - no markings, numbers - NOTHING.

Image Image

The metal all has a fresh blue job, the wood stock's been coated inside/out (dipped ?) with a flat gray "paint" (?), the breechblock's been reworked to RF, and it had a nice little ladder rear sight.

My first thought was that I have BRICKS of .22 Short stashed away - and only a .22 Short NAA Mini left to use them in........ :roll:

My second thought was that I could always strip, stain, & oil the stock(s) - but it's kinda growing on me as a knock-around plinker the was it is.

My third thought was that I could alway ream the chamber a little deeper, to LR depth.

Image Image

I dismounted the forestock, and lo - it's been rebarreled with a 22" long Savage 982DL barrel, also stamped ".22S, L, LR" on what used to be the barrel top, and is now the hidden underside.
Whoever mounted the barrel indexed it so that the Savage logo fell out of sight, presumably shortened the breech end, & was said to have rechambered it to Short (no, a long or LR won't chamber - I tried).

I'm thinkin'............. for the small amount of $$$ I have in it, I just might leave it be - it is what it is. :P

What I REALLY wished, was that it was a petite solid-frame #4 Roller - but (alas) it's not.

[EDIT]: Before I started to load it today, I took a peek downbore from the rear, and thought the chamber looked a bit scruffy & in need of a good cleaning - so I scrubbed it out prior to shooting.

For chuckles, NOW I tried to chamber a .22 LR....................................... it chambered fully. :oops:

Evidently, the converting gunsmith had kept the LR chambering when he installed the Savage bbl in this roller, but subsequent shooters fouled the chamber enough with .22 Shorts that the chamber would no longer accept .22 LR - which led at least 3 idiots (including ME) to believe the visibly unmarked bbl was for Shorts only - the consigning/selling owner, the lgs/dealer, & moi. :roll:

NOW, I have mixed feelings - missing/jonesing the .22 Short-only rifle; while realizing that a LR is infinitely more versatile.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Just Keep On Rolling Along

Post by 2ndovc »

That is one funky looking rolling bock!
But I'd have brought it home too. Bet it's going to be super fun.
I'll always be a single shot guy first.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Re: Just Keep On Rolling Along

Post by Dave »

I like it!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I like it too. Looks like a fun rifle. So ... how does it shoot?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

While it does look funky it apears to be in great condition. I think you've got a winner there.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Definitely more interesting than the latest, greatest, EBR, or just one more blued/walnut Winnie '94... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

That looks neat, grats. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Keel. 8)
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

While the appearance is almost a crime for a roller, kinda like an RV made from a school bus, weird looking for either job, but cute in an odd way. I bet she shoots well.
Certified gun nut
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I love it... :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I like it. :) Would have bought it even if i didnt have ammo. :P Would havee been another reason to hit the toy stores. IF you are that dissappointed in that it will shoot 22lr, heck send me MSG and i would be happy to take off your hands :mrgreen:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Thanks for the kind words, all. 8)

It seems to shoot LR's well, better than it does Shorts (sorry I didn't have my camera with me Sunday) - but I GOTTA do something about that pea-picker barleycorn front sight blade. I can't see it worth squat. :oops:

The sight looks like it's set into a normal 3/8" female dovetail in the bbl, so there's plenty of choices available.

Also since the zero's windage is a tad left @ 25yds, a slight change during the sight change :mrgreen: should take care of that.

For the $125 I spent on it, I'm thinking I'll keep it for awhile, anyway - & "maybe" strip/refinish the stock wood, I dunno yet.

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

That is sweet :D. That looks like a perfect squirrel gun.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Pete44ru wrote:The sight looks like it's set into a normal 3/8" female dovetail in the bbl, so there's plenty of choices available.
Just a reminder to measure it first. I usually assume 3/8" for Winchester and Marlin but not for Savage and Stevens. I think they used to put out 7/16" on their front sights on the old days and I've never gotten past checking to make sure. So it's probably obvious from that sentence that I've ordered at 3/8" sight and watched it slide through a big 'ole Savage dovetail. :roll:
Last edited by Rimfire McNutjob on Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Considering the bargain price you got it for, I'd strip the stocks and if the wood looks refinish them.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

great buy - you have a lot of room to work with it.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:
Pete44ru wrote:The sight looks like it's set into a normal 3/8" female dovetail in the bbl, so there's plenty of choices available.
Just a reminder to measure it first. I usually assume 3/8" for Winchester and Marlin but not for Savage and Stevens. I think they used to put out 7/16" on their front sights on the old days and I've never gotten past checking to make sure. So it's probably obvious from that sentence that I've ordered at 3/8" sight and watched it slide through a big 'ole Savage dovetail. :roll:

Thanks, and I'll prolly just try a sight in the dovetail (since I've got at least a dozen in my scrounge box) - besides, the dovetail's most likely standard, given that it was added by whomever installed the bbl upside-down (with "Savage" logo down) & installed iron sights.

The donor model Savage that the bbl came from was issued with 24" bbls, and this one measures 22" - so whomever did the dirty deed also lopped off the muzzle end & front sight dovetail (if there ever was one, i.e.)